A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A jumbuck downunder  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Asugamilla

• I Love Pizza!
A jumbuck downunder
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:30:31 AM »
Hi all,

firstly, thank you all for sharing information on your methods/techniques/ways of thinking/measurements in making Pizza Napoletana!
I have started this thread as a way of sharing my experiences with cooking pizza Napoletana at home with my various ovens and sharing my experiences to give back to the community.

I have always been interested in making pizzas and started off with an un-modified G3 Ferrari pizza oven making mainly NY-Style pizzas for the family when I stumbled across a youtube clip of cooking pizza in a no-mortar brick oven. At the time I was having some renovations done and decided to build one and give it a crack. After 10mins of putting it together with some spare clay pavers and some angle iron, I fired it up and produced some great pizzas. Cooking times varied from 60sec – 120sec but for the very minimal outlay $10 (AUD) I was super impressed with it. The only negative was it would take close to 3 ˝ hours to get it up to temp and needed a constant supply of wood to keep it there.

In going to my local Bunnings hardware store, I came across a small vault style oven by “Jumbuck” which was missing a few firebricks. Upon speaking with the attendant I managed to have it loaded on the trailer for a great price. Once at home I made a few modifications by removing the firebricks and adding a layer of heavy duty tin foil and sand before replacing the bricks. I also added some clay pavers on the back wall to increase its thermal capacity.

I have used it a few times and have loved the challenge of managing the fire and trying different types of recipes for Pizza Napoletana.
I am always on the hunt for great ingredients at the same time by supporting local suppliers in my quest for my perfect pizza napoletana.

I need to work on my opening of the dough ball to get the perfectly uniform cornicione, but my family and friends don’t seem to mind!

Anthony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: A jumbuck downunder
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:45:21 AM »
Good looking pizza!
Hans

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:18:36 AM »
Nice pizzas . . . . Had to look what a Jumbuck was
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Valentino Rossi

• Erm, I'm not really Valentino Rossi.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for posting.  Your pies look great.  Looks to me like you're already doing a lot right.  What's your current favoured dough recipe/method?
Always after a pizza the action

Offline Asugamilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 04:27:51 AM »
Thanks guys.

My current recipe is
1000g caputo pizzeria
3%salt
4% homemade SD culture
70% hydration
14hrs bulk 6hrs balls.

I have been using different flours (local varieties, le 5 stagione, granoro pizza) but I want to try 80% caputo and 20% manitoba to give the dough a bit more strength. You can only try😊.

Pic of my jumbuck oven below. Very similar to an il fornino type but the internal surface area is 70cm x 70cm.
Perfect for me. Quick heat up and doesnt go through too much wood when I'm cooking pizza.

Anth

Offline blues87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »
Hey mate got the same oven. Can you post more pics of your mods? I feel it loses alot of heat through the floor.

Offline Asugamilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 06:32:00 AM »
Managed a pic of one of the 12 pizzas from the last bake. Its kind of hard when people want to eat pizza straight out of the oven!
Tried caputo cuoco, 65% hydration, 4%sd 2.8%salt. Bulk 35hrs @18c in balls [email protected]
Dough was definitely easier to work with than higher hydration doughs I have done in previous bakes.

Blues87 - I just used HD catering foil and spread some sand on top of it before replacing the fire bricks. It seems to have helped. I stacked the pavers in the back of the oven (from the floor to the top of the arch) to absorb/radiate heat.  Hope this helps.

Anthony

Offline Asugamilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 06:46:41 AM »
Another night, another bake. Floor temp stable at 440 degrees C in my little jumbuck. Sub 60sec bakes.
Caputo pizzeria at 65%hydration  3%salt 4%sd and a tiny bit if idy. 10hrs bulk @18c 8hrs in balls @22c.
Homemade pepperoni, mozzarella di bufala, prosciutto san daniele, rocket and regiano featured on most pizzas.

Anth
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:02:31 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Soulboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
Looks great!

However, the bottom is yellowish which is a sign of either too much bench flour or too high conductivity of the floor. In my experience you get kind of a bitter taste from this.

/p
Effeuno p134h + raised biscotto + insulated door
Pizza Party 70x70 (stock)

Offline Asugamilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 05:33:17 PM »
Thanks Soulboy. Looking back, the upskirt pic was taken of one of 3 pizzas made with an Aussie brand of 00 flour using a no-knead method as an experiment on Saturday night. The char was good and not bitter, but it doesn't stand up to the high heat like the Caputo does.

Anthony

Offline Asugamilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 07:56:15 PM »
Another weekend another bake. Had some relatives from interstate come over and wanted to try some homemade pizza.
Caputo pizzeria
65% hydration
5%sd
2.8% sale di Trapani (sea salt)
12hrs bulk @18c 16hrs balls @TA.

Definitely a lot more tender and easier to work with than previous bakes as the panelli sat for longer. Flavour was better too. Still need to work on the stretching.
Anthony
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:33:38 AM by Asugamilla »

Offline Asugamilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 05:49:33 AM »
Hi guys,

haven't posted for quite some time! I guess a few kids and life get in the way, however I have managed to find some time to make neo pizzas when I have had the chance.

I ended up getting another pizza oven and fitted it with some terracotta tiles (on the floor) and have become much better at dough management and fire management whilst trying different techniques but have finally settled on one which I find provides me with consistent results whilst using my own SD culture regardless of time of year.

I am still using Caputo pizzeria up to  70% hydration and Sicilian naturally evaporated sea salt and Sydney's finest purified water.

Some pics below.

A.

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 12:53:31 PM »
Great looking pizzas!
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 04:56:00 PM »
Pizza looks good! I'm coming around on the the Hawaiian pizza a little bit if I put enough jalapenos on it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline boatsydney

• Beginning the journey
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 10:44:15 PM »
Nice looking pizzas! I lived in Balgowlah/Fairlight for a few years - I miss Bunnings.

Offline Asugamilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 11:40:40 PM »
Thanks for the support guys!

Pizza looks good! I'm coming around on the the Hawaiian pizza a little bit if I put enough jalapenos on it.

Hawaiian pizza is surprisingly one of my favourites! I only use double smoked ham and Australian pineapples which provides a nice balance with the home made sauce I use on the base which is more savoury than sweet.

Nice looking pizzas! I lived in Balgowlah/Fairlight for a few years - I miss Bunnings.

Bunnings is a great place to just wonder around and dream up all the new projects you can do !  One could spend hours in there admiring all the hardware!

wordpress