A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A real noob question: sticky dough  (Read 168 times)

Offline mrQQ

• I Love Pizza!
A real noob question: sticky dough
« on: September 16, 2020, 08:02:34 AM »
Hi,

so basically I've made pizzas like a dozen times using and everything seemed fine, however, lately I seem to be having issues. I'll try to tell exactly what I do and what the problem is.

I use Dallagiovanna laNapoletana flour. I used PizzApp+ for two 250g dough balls, 63% hydration, which came out to following:

Flour: 313g
Water: 197g
Salt: 9.4g
Yeast: 0.92 (i use IDY)

Then I followed this video: with these steps:

1) I mixed salt into room temperature water till fully dissolved
2) I added flour till it's pancake like viscocity
3) I added yeast and mixed it
4) I gradually added remaining four while mixing

Now here comes the problem. The dough became so sticky, that I wasn't even able to move it around or take it of the bowl. It just teared and sticked everywhere. I needed to add at least a spoon worth of flour till I was able to work with it. But even then, even after quite long kneading it wasn't satin like surface like in the video, it was more like old mans skin.

What am I doing wrong? Is 63% hydradtion too much for this flour? I see people going up to 67% without any problems?

When it's done it rises fine, tastes good, is crunchy and soft, but this part is killing me, why doesn't it work for me?

Offline typicalsam

• I Love Pizza!
Re: A real noob question: sticky dough
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 10:31:06 AM »
just keep kneading! that's what i tell myself when its super sticky. eventually it gets less sticky, then i do like 3 or 4 sets of stretch and folds with 10-20mins rest between each set.

by then the dough is super smooth and nice

Offline mrQQ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »
I tried to keep kneading, but by that point its so sticky that I cant even knead it, I cant take it of the bowl, it's just a big piece of slurp stuck to everything. There's no way to knead that!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »
Hans

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 01:36:58 PM »
Use a little flour or oil on your hands to remove the dough from the bowl, then use a plastic bowl scraper to scrape the dough up for the folding process, after a few folds it will become noticeably easier to manage, don't be afraid to use a little dusting flour too to help get things started. Remember, you're making dough, not rocket fuel or nitro glycerin  ;D
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
1. If you are having problems with the same workflow and flour as previously used, then suspect that the flour isn't the same. Could be moisture or just different flour in the bag.

2. Very sticky dough that I need to stretch and fold stays in the bowl, just use a large enough bowl to handle the dough rise from the outset. Use a bowl scraper as Tom mentions, just no point in taking it out of bowl.