A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My South Shore Bar Pizza  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My South Shore Bar Pizza
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2020, 07:39:37 PM »
Today's pie.
Hans,

Spectacular, as usual.

Peter

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »
Hans,
I think you might be a little disappointed when you get to the south shore. Looks like you are doing just fine at home.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2020, 11:30:22 PM »
Hans,

Spectacular, as usual.

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Hans,

Spectacular, as usual.

Peter

Thank you!
Hans

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2020, 01:29:58 PM »

I find most of the Chicago (of any type) formulas discussed here to be unusually low on salt. Typically, I aim for 2.25 or something close to that. 1.8 & 2.0 (as with both below) I can handle.

These have been great pizzas, Hans. Canít wait to see what Paul comes up with. I made dough yesterday for four pizzas for tomorrow or the next day similar to these but from another thread. Will post once baked.

Hans,
Because I'm getting more interested in this style, I attempted to break the recipe you linked down to Baker's Percentages. I may have messed up. somone can check me, but this is what I came up with:
Item       Baker's %
Flour           100.0
Water       52.6
Salt           1.8
Sugar       1.3
ADY           1.6
Butter       6.3
Corn Oil   12.6

Tf = 0.09

I should have posted my numbers. yours look right on, I rounded a bit. I have never used TF so don't know about that. I just use g/sq. in., 200g for a 10" pie.

Flour    100% (115g)
Water    52%
Oil        12%
Butter  6.2%
Salt        2%
Sugar  1.4%
IDY        1%

-Tony

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 03:38:01 PM »
We decided to follow what all the experts said and we stayed home for Thanksgiving.  And because turkey's been on sale and we've roasted three in the past five weeks, we also decided that we didn't really need to make another one.  So I was *this* close to making this pizza for us tonight, but I realized that I don't have any suitable canned tomato anything for a sauce, so it'll have to wait for the weekend.

But I'm curious about something.  In that article, they say you should put your panned pizza into the oven, on a rack.  In the picture, there looks like there's some flat metal thing they're putting it on.  What should I be putting the pizza on?  Just on the bare wire rack?  On a stone?  On a steel?
--pat--

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »
I just received these authentic 10" pans from Bay State Restaurant Products in MA. I'll be working on getting a good formula although I won't get to Boston until November to sample Cape Code Cafe and Lynwood Cafe to sample the real thing.
Doh! I thought we were talking about the south shore in Chicago. Iím sure I read this back in September but had forgotten one important part:-D
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »
We decided to follow what all the experts said and we stayed home for Thanksgiving.  And because turkey's been on sale and we've roasted three in the past five weeks, we also decided that we didn't really need to make another one.  So I was *this* close to making this pizza for us tonight, but I realized that I don't have any suitable canned tomato anything for a sauce, so it'll have to wait for the weekend.

But I'm curious about something.  In that article, they say you should put your panned pizza into the oven, on a rack.  In the picture, there looks like there's some flat metal thing they're putting it on.  What should I be putting the pizza on?  Just on the bare wire rack?  On a stone?  On a steel?

I have baked them on the rack and on a stone, I didn't see much difference.
Hans

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 06:44:37 PM »
Hans is right.  The two top dogs around the south shore are Town Spa and the Lynwood Cafe, especially if you are looking at sales numbers (they are both insanely busy).  One uses a deck oven and one uses a conveyor oven which is essentially baking on a rack. Both make an excellent pizza with a crispy bottom.  I think that with pans it doesn't matter that much as long as the heat is there. 

wordpress