A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My South Shore Bar Pizza  (Read 5244 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: My South Shore Bar Pizza
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2021, 07:42:02 PM »
A couple from today, both 8", 48 hour CF. The first use of this particular pan, a lot of sticking. I'm seasoning it now!

100% AP
55% H2O
3% Corn oil
3% Butter
1.4% Sugar
2% Salt
.5% IDY

133g

Dough Ball

100% AP
52% H2O
8% EVOO
2.5% Salt
.5% IDY

90g Dough Ball

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:43:53 PM by HansB »
Hans

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2021, 08:19:50 PM »
A couple from today, both 8", 48 hour CF. The first use of this particular pan, a lot of sticking. I'm seasoning it now!

100% AP
55% H2O
3% Corn oil
3% Butter
1.4% Sugar
2% Salt
.5% IDY

133g

Dough Ball

100% AP
52% H2O
8% EVOO
2.5% Salt
.5% IDY

90g Dough Ball

Those both look amazing.  It looks like you're cycling your way back to "normal" amounts of fat in the dough.  Which did you like better?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2021, 08:32:18 PM »
Those both look amazing.  It looks like you're cycling your way back to "normal" amounts of fat in the dough.  Which did you like better?

Thanks, yeah the original SSBP was ~12% oil and 6% butter, too rich for me. Next was 6% & 3%. I'll stay with both at 3% for the thicker pizza.

Overall I prefered #2, I guess I like the thinner crust best.
Hans

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »
I prefer the slightly thinner crust as well. I also find the SSBP to be "richer" for me with the heavy Cheddar and oil/butter in dough. I can't pack em away like I can a Chicago Tavern.... which is maybe a good thing, haha.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2021, 09:38:22 PM »
Posting this just as a data point:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2015/10/07/bar-pizzas-make-the-scene-at-upscale-puritan-co/

Posted by the same guy linked to in Hans' SSBP thread here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=65451.msg649715#msg649715

The formula from the first link:
Puritan & Co. Bar Pizza Dough

20 oz. all-purpose flour

1 T. salt

1 T. sugar

11⁄2 t. instant yeast

2 T. olive oil

12 oz. lukewarm water

Combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add olive oil and water. Mix on low speed 10 minutes. Transfer the ball of dough to a lightly floured surface and knead once or twice by hand until a smooth ball is formed. Transfer it to a stainless steel bowl, cover with tight-fitting plastic wrap and refrigerate. Allow the dough to ferment 1 to 3 days. Two hours before baking, remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it into four even balls. Shape it into balls by gathering the dough towards the bottom and pinching shut. Flour generously and place each ball into a separate bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise at warm room temperature until roughly doubled in size. Turn each dough ball out, one at a time, onto a floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into a 10- to 12-inch circle, lifting and stretching by hand if necessary. Grease a round cake or pie pan. Place dough in the pan and top with your favorite pizza ingredients. Bake on high heat until edges brown. Makes enough dough for 4 pizzas.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:59:46 PM by sodface »
Carl

Offline fewd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2021, 01:08:33 AM »
Posting this just as a data point:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2015/10/07/bar-pizzas-make-the-scene-at-upscale-puritan-co/

Posted by the same guy linked to in Han's SSBP thread here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=65451.msg649715#msg649715

The formula from the first link:

I reached out to Will about his recipe when I was trying to find out what was by volume vs weight as itís not specified (I know I could have probably inferred).   He was super helpful. 

It was super tasty and a nice take on bar pizza but i felt like it was lacking the fat that most of my favorite places have.  Not as biscuity as I like it. 

Offline Satyen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2021, 02:45:25 AM »

100% AP
55% H2O
3% Corn oil
3% Butter
1.4% Sugar
2% Salt
.5% IDY

133g

Dough Ball

100% AP
52% H2O
8% EVOO
2.5% Salt
.5% IDY

90g Dough Ball
Thay looks dope

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2021, 03:51:06 AM »
I wonder what milk does for the biscuity texture.   I have a friend who worked in a number of spots as way back as the 60's, and now owns his own pizzeria making south shore MA bar pizza in Portugal of all places!  He told me that for sure some places use milk instead of water or a combination of milk and water.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2021, 06:54:09 AM »
I reached out to Will about his recipe when I was trying to find out what was by volume vs weight as itís not specified (I know I could have probably inferred).   He was super helpful. 

It was super tasty and a nice take on bar pizza but i felt like it was lacking the fat that most of my favorite places have.  Not as biscuity as I like it.

I got confused as to which thread I was in apparently as I linked to "Hans' SSBP thread" and we are already here  :-\

I thought the formula seemed low on oil and high on water.  A quote from the article:

At Puritan & Co., Gilson cooks the pizzas in old 10-inch steel pans he scored at an auction and has nailed the crackery crust perfectly.

I know that crackery and biscuity are too different things but I don't see how that formula would be either, though I haven't tried it and probably won't.  I just posted it because it was on topic and I don't think it's been mentioned here before.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:59:32 PM by sodface »
Carl

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2021, 07:59:00 AM »

I thought the formula seemed low on oil and high on water.  A quote from the article:

I know that crackery and biscuity are too different things but I don't see how that formula would be either, though I haven't tried it and probably won't.  I just posted it because it was on topic and I don't think it's been mentioned here before.

Here it is in %, should be pretty close:

Flour    100%
H2O       60%
Oil        4.8%
Sugar    3.7%
Salt       2.9%
IDY         .8%

Total !72.2%
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:48:16 PM by HansB »
Hans

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2021, 02:14:31 PM »
Thanks to Steve for moving this to the appropriate spot!
Hans

Offline fewd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2021, 03:44:40 PM »
Thanks to Steve for moving this to the appropriate spot!

There's a lot of good info on the Greek Pizza thread too.  As South Shore Bar Pizza shares an origin with it.  Starting from page 1 actually. 

Just a heads up.