A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sourcing Mozz Curd  (Read 185 times)

Offline mdiberardino

• It's just pizza
Sourcing Mozz Curd
« on: October 14, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
Hello Forum,

Does anyone know how/where one can source bulk mozz curd (at least 10 lb. blocks) regularly in the NY Metropolitan area?  I didn't think this would be an issue for me but it's actually quite difficult to find quality curd regularly.  So far I've had it shipped from an Italian deli in PA but that's likely not sustainable.  I've also tried DiBruno Brothers, by they were charging $60 per delivery--again, also not sustainable. 

Any of the big brands would be fine.  I know Grande and Polly-O are considered the best of the best (I've only worked with Grande curd and I loved it.  Not the biggest fan of their pizza cheeses but their curd was heavenly), but I'd go with any reputable producer so long as it's a reasonable end-to-end process.  I've inquired personally at Murray's Cheeses and was told they only carry curd when they are doing a Mozz-making class and I've reached out to Losurdo's in NJ a couple times but still haven't heard back. 

If anyone has any insights it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Sourcing Mozz Curd
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
Can't speak to the one closest to you, but the Restaurant Depot in Albany usually has polly-o curd.

Offline mdiberardino

• It's just pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 10:46:36 AM »
Can't speak to the one closest to you, but the Restaurant Depot in Albany usually has polly-o curd.

I live like 5 minutes away from a RD in Maspeth, Queens.  Only problem is I believe you need a Tax ID to obtain membership and I just don't have one yet.  I'm a very small scale pizza maker out of my home kitchen trying to get my feet off the ground, so nothing about me is "official" just yet. 

Do you know how one can gain access to RD?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
I live like 5 minutes away from a RD in Maspeth, Queens.  Only problem is I believe you need a Tax ID to obtain membership and I just don't have one yet.  I'm a very small scale pizza maker out of my home kitchen trying to get my feet off the ground, so nothing about me is "official" just yet. 

Do you know how one can gain access to RD?
Joining the Kansas City BBQ society gets you unlimited day passes to RD. But just call and double check, they have been open to the public during the pandemic. You just have to check in up front. At least that is how it has been in Albany.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »
I know that when covid hit RD opened their doors to the public.  Maybe that is still happening?   Its worth a call.    Also, by me restaurant depot delivers via instacart. If you order through them you pay a little more but there is no membership required.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:23:05 PM by scott r »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 11:12:45 PM »
If you have a state tax ID number or know someone who does, just get the paperwork and you're good to go at RD! I have been piggybacking off a friends membership for years. They always have fresh curd.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady