A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: 48 hr cold, overferment?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline quixoteQ

• Give me Shackleton Every Time
48 hr cold, overferment?
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:12:10 PM »
I'm about 45 hours into a cold ferment.  Scott, I'm using your KABF recipe scaled to 14 inchers (sorry, NY!) which works out to approx. 400 grams per dough ball.  During these 45 hours the volume has doubled, perhaps tripled.  I'm planning to remove the dough to sit at room temp for three hours before baking, and I wanted to see if these babies are a little too ripe, or do they look the way you'd expect.

Thanks!
Josh

Offline scott123

Re: 48 hr cold, overferment?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
.09 thickness factor? Et tu, Josh? Et tu?  ;D

Seriously, though, that's a little too ripe. Not disastrously overfermented, but, definitely further than you want to be. What's the top like? Is it collapsing?  I would give it 1.5 to 2 hours tempering, not 3.  Even if it does collapse a bit, I think you'll still be okay.  Next time, adjust the yeast down.

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »
.09 thickness factor? Et tu, Josh? Et tu?  ;D

Seriously, though, that's a little too ripe. Not disastrously overfermented, but, definitely further than you want to be. What's the top like? Is it collapsing?  I would give it 1.5 to 2 hours tempering, not 3.  Even if it does collapse a bit, I think you'll still be okay.  Next time, adjust the yeast down.

:-[ thanks for your understanding.  ;D

It is collapsing.  I'm thinking the "room temp" water was a little too warm.  I tried to measure the yeast granule by granule, but the small weights get weird even on a decent scale.  Okay, I'll let those balls chill a bit more.  Thanks, Scott.

EDIT: actually the tops look pretty decent, pretty smooth and rounded.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:44:44 PM by quixoteQ »
Josh

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »
Josh, I think you'll be okay.

Unless you have a jeweler's scale, always stick to volume (teaspoons) measurements for yeast.

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 01:56:29 PM »
Josh, I think you'll be okay.

Unless you have a jeweler's scale, always stick to volume (teaspoons) measurements for yeast.

Actually I have a scale for the dough and another that measures the thousandths place on a gram . . .  :angel:
Josh

A D V E R T I S E M E N T