A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Flash Player is ending 12/31/20. What will happen with the Dough Calculator?  (Read 645 times)

Offline cayenneman08

• I Love Pizza!
Since the Dough Doc's calculator is Flash enabled, will it be updated with some new format before the end of the year?  I cant live without the Lehmann Dough Calculator!!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Since the Dough Doc's calculator is Flash enabled, will it be updated with some new format before the end of the year?  I cant live without the Lehmann Dough Calculator!!!
cayenneman08,

Having been involved in the creation of the forum's dough calculating tool, like you, I became very attached to them. But all indications are that Flash will be disabled at the end of this year. But all is not lost. A couple of members took all of my conversion data and replicated the tools but in a different format. See, for example, item 2 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59104.msg592940#msg592940

You will also see other dough calculating tools listed in the above thread.

Peter

Offline cayenneman08

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks Pete-zza!!!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Peter, will the Dough Generator still work?

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Peter, will the Dough Generator still work?

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com
Jon,

I noticed that the Pizza Dough Generator has a link to the forum's Flash-based calculators at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/dough-tools.html

Once Flash is discontinued, the above link will cease thereafter to be able to modify formulations at the Pizza Dough Generator site. However, the existing recipes at the Pizza Dough Generator site, accessed at http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/all_recipes_listing.php, should still be available as best I can tell.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Thanks Peter, I probably use that site the most, aside from doing manual calculations. I think the Dough Generator site is a very good one and has more than most people will ever need! Also refers back to PMF many times throughout it's pages as you probably know!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Thanks Peter, I probably use that site the most, aside from doing manual calculations. I think the Dough Generator site is a very good one and has more than most people will ever need! Also refers back to PMF many times throughout it's pages as you probably know!
Jon,

Following up on your post, I decided to create a new thread for the Pizza Dough Generator and to make the thread a sticky. See the new thread at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66215.msg646928#msg646928

Peter

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Great move as always Peter! I have mentioned the site to others many times, but a sticky makes much more sense in lieu of Flash going away!
Jon

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
Couple yeas ago I printed out numerous dough combinations for different styles. With or without the calculator I can come up with what I need.   I prefer a printed recipe when making anything.  Glad I saved all of them

Jerry

Offline DannyG

Peter, like many I am a huge fan of the dough calculators found in the Resources section. Easy to find and simple to use. I'm not clear if the intent is to replace them in kind with non-flash dependent versions. While I appreciate the Dough Calculator link I rather have all the dough calculators in Resources updated and replaced. Just my opinion.  :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Peter, like many I am a huge fan of the dough calculators found in the Resources section. Easy to find and simple to use. I'm not clear if the intent is to replace them in kind with non-flash dependent versions. While I appreciate the Dough Calculator link I rather have all the dough calculators in Resources updated and replaced. Just my opinion.  :)
Danny,

I am not sure what Steve plans to do with the calculator issue. He has been super busy with his work because of Covid-19. However, I tried to put links to all of the calculators available to our members, in the thread at:

Peter

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Adobe's killing Flash, but if you have it install it'll still be there and work the same. At least until a new version of your browser comes out where the plugin may or may not work anymore.  I'm not removing Flash as I know a few of the Flash based sites I visit might not update to HTML5 or whatever is comparable.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Adobe's killing Flash, but if you have it install it'll still be there and work the same. At least until a new version of your browser comes out where the plugin may or may not work anymore.  I'm not removing Flash as I know a few of the Flash based sites I visit might not update to HTML5 or whatever is comparable.
Quebert,

Thank you for your comments.

Some time ago, I was using Internet Explorer (I believe it was IE7) but Microsoft offered to give me the Microsoft Edge browser for free, which I accepted. Along the way, in one of the Microsoft Edge updates, they (presumably with Adobe's wishes) turned off Flash in Microsoft Edge. And from time to time, I get pop-ups from Adobe to discontinue Flash, presumably for IE. To date, I have ignored them. IE is no longer supported by Microsoft so I am simply waiting to see what, if anything, is done to IE at year's end. Even now, Microsoft asks me to discontinue IE and go with Edge. I have ignored those requests. So, at least to date, Microsoft is not terminating IE.

I was involved in the design and implementation the forum's Flash dough calculating tools, going back to 2006 when Mike and I released the first dough calculating tool, so I am naturally attached to them. But other members, with input from me, have come up with alternatives that are not Flash based. See, for example, Item 2 in the thread at:

I realize that many, if not most, of our members do not have access to the forum's Flash-based tools but they still come in handy for me. I am, by nature, a Luddite. :-D

Peter

wordpress