A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Da Michele project in my Pizza Party oven  (Read 14644 times)

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Da Michele project in my Pizza Party oven
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2020, 07:39:16 PM »
That's good advice Amalopizza.   I have been doing this but still having thin spots in the dough.  When stretching thin, those spots are thinning out too much. And catching on the peel especially if the oven is super HOT, which necessitates turning the pies sooner before the bottom of the dough has even had time to set. 

Hopefully a stronger dough and doing a short final proof will help.   Today was a bit warmer and the sun came out briefly so it was a good opportunity to do a bake.   I incorporated a 6hr RT autolyse with this dough which did help the gluten strength somewhat. 
Caputo blue, 60w, 3 o.oil, 0.01% idy, 2.6 salt. 24hrs RT Bulk, 6.5 hrs ball.  Baked 60s.

Offline communist

« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2020, 08:20:14 PM »
Very nice Chau - do see some pecorino romano between the mozzarella on the first pie?

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2020, 09:30:52 PM »
Very nice Chau - do see some pecorino romano between the mozzarella on the first pie?

Definitely!  Been missing basil though.  Not the same without it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:02:10 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline goldmax

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2020, 03:46:09 PM »
Here is my NP cat Susie who eats all of my experiments.    :-D. Just kidding, I don't feed her pizza.

This has cheered my day so much, thanks mate, lovely cat, happy new year, Iím hoping to be successful with my new p134h oven next year!

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2020, 04:02:55 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Susie is a slightly cranky old gal but she's great!  She does like potato chips and fried chicken though!  And Happy New Year to you.  May you get some amazing pies out of your p134h.

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2021, 11:10:40 PM »
15 hr cold fermented poolish.  7 hr RT Bulk, 12 hr CF ball, followed by 8hr RT ball proof.  61w + 3 lard.baked 60s. 

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2021, 11:34:33 PM »
Nice looking pizza. Quite a regimen of fermentations, beyond your usual I think, is your pursuit still after the Da Michelle pizza? You have added lard, which I understand, but have changed up your ferment and timing . . . . A positive change?
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2021, 11:57:57 PM »
Thank you.  I've been experimenting with a CF poolish as a way to build strength into the dough other than extended mixing.   For this particular dough, I was suppose to have the day off to bake but ended up having to work 12hrs.  I had to put the balled dough into the fridge to stall them until I could deal with it later.  My goal is to achieve the look of the DM pie, not necessarily the DM pie itself.  I made a few pies recently without lard but I didn't favor them based on that particular workflow.  I need to do more experiments before I can say what is best.   My goal is 2 fold.  The DM look, which I think these last 2 pies come close.   And 2ndly, make the best NP that I can.   It's been a fun learning experience to play around with different dough making techniques. 

Chau
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:54:29 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2021, 03:01:10 AM »
15 hr cold fermented poolish.  7 hr RT Bulk, 12 hr CF ball, followed by 8hr RT ball proof.  61w + 3 lard.baked 60s.

Your pizza is really starting to have the da Michele crust look!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2021, 11:15:25 AM »
Looking good Chau!!!   :drool:
I'm going to have to invite you over again...   :-D :-D :-D
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2021, 06:47:18 PM »
Your pizza is really starting to have the da Michele crust look!

Thanks Craig!

Looking good Chau!!!   :drool:
I'm going to have to invite you over again...   :-D :-D :-D

Lol.  Sounds good but I want to fired up your oven this time. :)

Chau

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2021, 10:21:14 PM »
These were baked today 1/17/21. It was fairly warm out today so I was able to get the oven HOT.  These were pretty good.  Last one was the best at a 50s bake.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 10:00:36 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline communist

« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2021, 08:05:10 PM »
Good looking pies Chau.  Lucky for you to have good weather.  I am shut down in Pennsylvania now with snow.  I see some smaller sticks of wood in some of your pics.  Do you use them for a quick burst of heat and flame when you need them?  I can heat my oven up to 900 or even 1000, but I also need some rolling flames over the top, and it is difficult to get floor temp around 950 and rolling flames at the same time. 

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2021, 10:13:07 PM »
Thank you Mark.  Right now, I'm praying for more snow so I can go sliding around in it.🏂😁

I do use the smaller sticks for a burst of flame.   I'll toss a few on about 10s before loading a pie to get as big of a flame as I can.   After each pie, I'll put on a little thicker piece to burn to keep the oven and floor temp up while we devour the current pie and I stretch the next one.   But definitely need semi warm temps outside otherwise it's a constant battle.  I also use the rolling flame to maintain the floor temps around 950f.

Chau

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2021, 12:50:11 PM »

I'm praying for more snow so I can go sliding around in it.🏂😁

You might get your wish.  In the forecast for tomorrow.
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2021, 07:04:04 AM »
It's been a fairly dry winter for the SW this year.  Here's hoping we get more of the white stuff. 

Online Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2021, 12:15:16 PM »
I repeated the thicker vs thin(ner) cornicione test.   I prefer thinner.   Thinner retained a better crisp and has a better overall texture. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 06:42:04 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2021, 06:59:52 AM »
I repeated the thicker vs thin(ner) cornicione test.   I prefer thinner.   Thinner retained a better crisp and has a better overall texture.

I'm moving in the same direction.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline dino47

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
I don't know if that's only me, but when I visited Da Michele during last summer, I had a Marinara and a Margarita with a friend, I love the thin crust, which is a variation after only eating canotto ones.

The issue was that the bottom was very, very charred and burned, especially on the Marinara, making it very bitter and not really pleasant to eat.
Might been because there were just a couple of guests at that time and they didnt bother to regulate the oven temperature or just went lazy and used too much flour, now my attitude Da Michele is not really the greatest.

Offline communist

« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2021, 09:31:05 PM »
A burnt crust can ruin a pizza, and because Neapolitan is on the edge with some but not too much char, it can easily burn in a few seconds.  Next year give it a second chance.