Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 318311 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #2175 on: July 07, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »
Do you think I should keep my pan at the top rack and do 475 for a longer bake time?  I need to get over my fear of High heat for everything.  I probably should not be trying for leoparding or anything like that.  With MM should it be uniformly brown with just hints of dark spots or no dark spots?   
Adam,

I think it is worth a try. If it so happens that the bottom crust needs more heat, you can always move the pan to a lower oven rack position.

Peter

Offline The Lord Of The Pizza

• There Will Be Pizza.
« Reply #2176 on: July 12, 2016, 03:24:52 PM »
Adam,

I think it is worth a try. If it so happens that the bottom crust needs more heat, you can always move the pan to a lower oven rack position.

Peter
Sorry for getting to this so late.
It worked!!!!!  It was simply one of the best pizzas I have made.  The flavor again, was incredible.  Cooking on 475 for 10 minutes (without the extra calibration) made everything perfect.  The dough was still a little hard to stretch out, but that certainly could be due to water/sugar content in my molasses.  Perhaps using a different brand or kind of molasses or a bit more water or oil to the dough if I use the same brand will fix that, or I could just deal with it as its not really an issue at all.  The real eye opener here was bake time.  I think Super High Heat, which is sometimes overpreached here (my opinion) is not optimum for all pizza.  Of course that is obvious to us all or should be, but I have been using Super High Heat for so long, it was hard for me to break from it.  I am certainly glad I did.

Pics:

Cooking can be a reflection of your approach to everything. Do the best that you can and if you burn the toast, do it again, right.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2177 on: July 12, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »
Adam,

Thanks for posting the photos. You did a great job.

I suggest that you increase the formula hydration by about 2-3% to see if that gets you in the right direction. That is far easier than playing around with the water content of the molasses and flour.

Peter

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #2178 on: November 02, 2016, 09:05:08 PM »
Here's my attempt at the MM #7 dough formulation, however I have the Breer Rabbit Molasses and just costco bread flour (I think con-agra?)  I was really happy with how it turned out.  I used to live in Georgia and had MM on at least a couple of dozens of occassions back in the 1990's.  My favorite was a couple of slices with Mushroom and Bacon at lunch time.  Favorite pie there was the veggie, it had broccoli and fresh tomato.  Very full of flavor pizza!  That recipe was actually what brought me to this website and has had me try 4 other recipes so far =)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2179 on: November 02, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
Hermit,

I know that the MM pizzas are your favorite so I am glad the MM clone worked out for you.

Peter

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2180 on: November 05, 2016, 11:35:16 PM »
So i decided to give this a try tonight as it sounded interesting having the molasses in the dough.  I've eaten at a Mellow Mushroom once, but it was probably about 6yrs ago so i don't really remember it.

51% water, .5% IDY, 1.9% salt, 1.9% oil, 11.5% molasses, 3 day CF, cooked about 8min at 500 w/ convection on a stone.

Unfortunately I had a bunch of hungry ppl and another pizza in the over and i completely forgot about taking pictures until there were only 2 pieces left and one of them is kinda blurry sorry.
We all really liked it and one person said it did kind of remind them of a MM pizza.  I will definitely  be making this again as the dough had a great flavor and was
very different than the NY style pizza's i've been making.