A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Just bought some Caputo 00 Americana. Do you guys adjust hydration by flour?  (Read 459 times)

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
So I have used KASL for the past 4+ years now mainly. I am very disappointed that the place I was buying from dropped it. I guess the business they were supplying it to changed flour. So I did some calling around and found another wholesale supplier started carrying Caputo 00 Americana a few years ago. It cost almost twice what I was paying for the KASL but from what I read it was designed to work in 500-600 degree ovens.

KASL 50lbs was about $21
Caputo 00 American 55lbs is about $38

I bake at 550 so I'm hoping for good results. I do know from using different flours that they have different absorption rates and 00 does absorb more water. I was using 62% hydration with the KASL. I'm thinking of adjusting my recipe to have 64% or 65% hydration with this new flour.

On a side note I went to RD yesterday to get more Supremo Italiano cheese and wow did price go up. Last time I went a few months ago I got a case (four 5lb shredded) for about $42, it now runs almost $58!

While there I seen a 50 or 55lb bag of Supremo Italiano Tipo 00 pizza flour for like $7.53. I was very tempted but was doing some quick research and it seems that doesn't work well in home ovens, so I skipped it. I imagine I "could" make it work by adding some malt, which I may try in the future, right now I don't have any malt on hand and needed flour. Plus I really wanted to know the protein content and could not find it so I imagine it is quite low.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Your Caputo Americana flour, if I remember correctly comes in around the high 12% protein content range and is already malted so you shouldn't have any problems baking at 550F. Every flour will exhibit different dough absorption properties so I would suggest starting out at 60% and adjusting up or down from there if necessary.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
Yeah I already adjusted this batch for 64%. It was very sticky. I had to wet my hands between dough balls so I could ball it. Amazing what 19g of water does. I will go back to my normal 62% recipe next batch and note the difference, it still might be sticky as I was really surprised at how sticky this dough was. I was going to try 64% on my KASL but that fell through as I can't get it anymore.

I was really expecting the 00 to absorb more water w/out being so sticky. Years ago I bought some Annes 00 flour and I thought it absorbed more water but I could be mistaken. I'm sure this batch will make some great dough either way, it's just harder to work with at higher hydration.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
If you want to try a different King Arthur flour, the Albany Restaurant Depot carries King Arthur Special Patent which is just a commercial 50 pound package of King Arthur Bread Flour. A 50 pound bag of that is $17 in Albany. But all Restaurant Depots are little different so maybe it isn't available at yours. I remember you were able to find a cup and char pepperoni and I have never seen any in the Albany location.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
If you want to try a different King Arthur flour, the Albany Restaurant Depot carries King Arthur Special Patent which is just a commercial 50 pound package of King Arthur Bread Flour. A 50 pound bag of that is $17 in Albany. But all Restaurant Depots are little different so maybe it isn't available at yours. I remember you were able to find a cup and char pepperoni and I have never seen any in the Albany location.

I did not see that flour at mine. I have used KABF, I prefer KASL, but it's ok. My location carries like different kinds of All Trump, all bromated. Personal preference I don't want potassium bromate in my pizza. I know they say it burns off but I just prefer to not have it.

Did you ever see if your RD carries that cup and char I got?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
I did not see that flour at mine. I have used KABF, I prefer KASL, but it's ok. My location carries like different kinds of All Trump, all bromated. Personal preference I don't want potassium bromate in my pizza. I know they say it burns off but I just prefer to not have it.

Did you ever see if your RD carries that cup and char I got?
I look every time I go, still no cup and char. No Wegmans this way either. They sell small containers of cup and char. If they don't have it out, ask for it at the pizza counter. Picked some up passing through Binghamton once.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
I look every time I go, still no cup and char. No Wegmans this way either. They sell small containers of cup and char. If they don't have it out, ask for it at the pizza counter. Picked some up passing through Binghamton once.

What I purchased was not labeled as cup and char. I could just tell by the size and thickness it likely would. Just in case you are looking for something that says cup and char, what I bought did not.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
What I purchased was not labeled as cup and char. I could just tell by the size and thickness it likely would. Just in case you are looking for something that says cup and char, what I bought did not.
I think you found margherita brand if I remember it right. I haven't seen anything that looks like it would cup. Just some Hormel lines that definitely don't cup and their house brand.

The Hormel retail packs of cup and crisp bold recently showed up but I heard they were already on closeout locally.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
Bah, not happy with this first batch of dough. The dough stuck to the bowls so I essentially lost all my air trying to get it out which means I didn't get any oven spring at all. The dough was too loose. The second pizza I made it actually stretched too thin and when I removed it from the oven it ripped, which caused me to lose 1 slice out of the 8.

The dough tasted good so I'm not disappointed there. I must fix my errors. I will make a new batch tonight or tomorrow. I am decreasing hydration to 60%, increasing dough ball weight from 520g to roughly 600g and increasing ADY % a little. I fully anticipate these changes to yield me my desired dough.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Bah, not happy with this first batch of dough. The dough stuck to the bowls so I essentially lost all my air trying to get it out which means I didn't get any oven spring at all. The dough was too loose. The second pizza I made it actually stretched too thin and when I removed it from the oven it ripped, which caused me to lose 1 slice out of the 8.

Good call, you need malt for that RD flour, bit it is good.

Americana is better tho... for that you might want to add a little Diastatic Malt or a little bit of sugar, that flour acts like its sort of 1/2 malted...which is really cool to play with in certain situations, but it might brown less than the KASL you are used to. 

Cheese is just damn expensive everywhere right now.

Your dough almost sounds like it was overproofed, so maybe not up the yeast?  Good luck

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
Your dough almost sounds like it was overproofed, so maybe not up the yeast?  Good luck

Well it didn't rise as much in the fridge as I am use to so I don't think that was the problem. Not sure if me man handling the dough out of the container made it lose structure. I was kind of leaning towards the fact that the higher hydration made the dough stretch quicker than I am use to. My other thought is maybe having a lower protein content than KASL doesn't give it as strong a gluten bond as the KASL does which might have made the dough have less strength when stretching it. Not sure the protein is a feasible argument as KABF has equal protein and that works fine. I'm really leaning towards the higher hydration I added being my biggest problem here causing the dough to stick more to the bowl and stretch out easier.

Maybe I can only do 1 hr room temp before baking this dough. With KASL I usually did 2hrs in cold months and it was the right strength for how I stretch the dough. I'm not 100% on why this dough didn't seem to have the strong structure I am use to. I'm really leaning towards the higher hydration as the biggest problem here. The higher hydration made it very hard to mix and ball and it may not have developed as strong a bond as I usually get with the KASL. Plus since I had to wet my hands to ball it that moisture would have transferred to the bowl from the balls as well. I normally have oiled balls and oiled bowl, this time I had water in that mix.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
Just made a batch of dough at 60% and it came out excellent! Very similar consistency as I am use to working with. Balled very well, the dough was not sticky and seemed to have great strength to it. I will update tomorrow night after I cook them up.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
Much happier with these ones.

wordpress