A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mont Alpi mod  (Read 602 times)

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
Mont Alpi mod
« on: December 08, 2020, 04:40:19 PM »
I have a Mont Alpi on the way and already thinking about a mod. I ordered the unit because I want to be able to bake bread as well as pizza. The Ooni would not do for this. At the same time I would like the temperature to bake NP and for regular pies, I do not wish to transfer the pie from the stone to my kitchen oven's broiler for finish (as I'm doing now, both in the oven). Soooo, I thought of adding an electric heating element to the Alpi. That would be to the ceiling portion of the Alpi. Something like this, Americana by Meco Heating Element For 2120, 5029, & 5030 Series Electric Grills - 1517.4.001. There are less expensive elements that I could use but I'm not that savvy about electrical matters and want to be safe. I know there are engineers and electrical trades persons on this site so I would appreciate some advice. Is this idea feasible and what would you suggest. Thanks, George
George

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Mont Alpi mod
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 04:45:32 PM »
I have a Mont Alpi on the way and already thinking about a mod. I ordered the unit because I want to be able to bake bread as well as pizza. The Ooni would not do for this. At the same time I would like the temperature to bake NP and for regular pies, I do not wish to transfer the pie from the stone to my kitchen oven's broiler for finish (as I'm doing now, both in the oven). Soooo, I thought of adding an electric heating element to the Alpi. That would be to the ceiling portion of the Alpi. Something like this, Americana by Meco Heating Element For 2120, 5029, & 5030 Series Electric Grills - 1517.4.001. There are less expensive elements that I could use but I'm not that savvy about electrical matters and want to be safe. I know there are engineers and electrical trades persons on this site so I would appreciate some advice. Is this idea feasible and what would you suggest. Thanks, George
Don't do it. I've messed around with electricity for a long time and I personally wouldn't put that into an oven like you are getting. A metal gas oven and an end user installed electrical element will get you on the list for a Darwin Award should things go haywire.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
George

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
Don't do it. I've messed around with electricity for a long time and I personally wouldn't put that into an oven like you are getting. A metal gas oven and an end user installed electrical element will get you on the list for a Darwin Award should things go haywire.
Thanks for that heads up. Assuming the gas burner was turned off before the electric one is turned on, would I have the same problem.
George

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
I'm not an electrician or plumber with gas fitting skills. It's just flat out unsafe to mix those items, especially when you don't know what you are doing. You also have a large metal box that is just an electrocution nightmare if something isn't grounded properly.

Offline gdepozsgay

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 05:05:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll ditch the idea and work with what I've got.
George