A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Questions about sauce  (Read 724 times)

Offline Lucien1201

Questions about sauce
« on: December 10, 2020, 01:36:44 AM »
Hi all,

I have 2 cans of San Marzano tomaotes (brand is Strianese) and the ingredients are as follow: San Marzano tomatoes, tomato puree.

Now, i just want to make a simple, raw sauce. Should i strain the puree and only crush/blend the tomatoes or is it better to just crush/blend everything and keep the puree? I want to avoid my pizza getting too soupy or watery.

Any advice?

Offline Gene in Acadiana

Re: Questions about sauce
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 02:02:33 AM »
I would strain the puree from the tomatoes and crush them separately first. If the puree is a good consistency for pizza sauce and not too thin, then you can add some or all of it back into the sauce. If the excess liquid is too thin, save it or freeze it for later for other types of sauces.

Offline Lucien1201

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 02:23:54 PM »
I would strain the puree from the tomatoes and crush them separately first. If the puree is a good consistency for pizza sauce and not too thin, then you can add some or all of it back into the sauce. If the excess liquid is too thin, save it or freeze it for later for other types of sauces.

Great idea. Ill report on it!

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 02:46:38 PM »
If too thin, you could cook it some on low heat to thicken it.
Bruce here... My toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 04:08:11 PM »
I vote for either straining with fine mesh, or just adding some tomato paste to thicken, rather than cooking it.

Offline Lucien1201

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 03:25:07 PM »
Ideally id also like to avoid cooking it! Ill do some testing later!

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 12:19:53 PM »
from my experience with the Strianese san marzano, both the gold tin and the one with paper, you can use pretty much all of the puree. However:

is the safest approach. you can easily add more sauce but Id try to avoid making it too thin then having to cook it.

i use a potato masher and do it all by hand - picking out any small tough bits that dont mash well

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 03:34:01 PM »
Hi all,

I have 2 cans of San Marzano tomaotes (brand is Strianese) and the ingredients are as follow: San Marzano tomatoes, tomato puree.

Now, i just want to make a simple, raw sauce. Should i strain the puree and only crush/blend the tomatoes or is it better to just crush/blend everything and keep the puree? I want to avoid my pizza getting too soupy or watery.

Any advice?

Those are excellent San Marzano tomatoes in my experience.  Just crush them and use everything in the can.  DO NOT ruin them with tomato paste.  I use about 4 grams of salt per can.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Chimpstronaut

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 01:57:51 AM »
Yeah I agree w/ above, I would avoid using tomato paste...

I'm no expert, but I used to work at a Neapolitan pizzeria and we used the whole can with all the liquid.. they were going for the "wetter" kind of pizza though. Also cuts back on waste from a business perspective I guess.

I do like the 'crush the tomatoes and add the liquid to your liking' idea for a thicker sauce.

wordpress