A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anybody used a steel in a Koda 12 or 16?  (Read 400 times)

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
Anybody used a steel in a Koda 12 or 16?
« on: December 14, 2020, 12:34:21 PM »
This may seem like a nonsensical question, given that steels are normally used to get fast cook times and good browning in home ovens or gas grills, and of course Kodas get more than hot enough to work well with stone.
But hear me out.  Owners of Kodas have learned that:
  a) you need to preheat them on high to get the stone really hot (>750F)
  b) you have to turn it down below low to keep from incinerating your cornicione
  c) even so, you often have to wait for the bottom to get get done before pulling
  d) the reheat time is long, since the stone has to recover to the very high preheat temp.

On the other hand, steels do an excellent job of browning or even charring the bottom in an oven preheated to 500-550F, even for pretty short cook times.  I hacked my home oven so I can go above 750F if I want to, but preheating my steel above about 625F gives me a bottom layer of pure charcoal.  So a steel in a Koda should preheat faster, cook the bottom completely with short cook time, and recover faster for the next pie. 

Perhaps the conductivity of steel might actually spread heat laterally, helping with the Koda's uneven heat issue.  I am doubtful about this, unless we are talking a 1/2" monster slab.  I am planning on using a 1/4" round rotating steel to get the even heat.  (I already did a rotating stone mod, so the change to try steel is easy.)  I ordered this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182247422443 
Others may reject my logic about preheat and recovery, and advocate a thicker steel.  I will report my results. 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress