A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My progress thread  (Read 1980 times)

Offline typicalsam

My progress thread
« on: December 18, 2020, 10:42:44 AM »
Background here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=60993.0

In short, my first pizza in my 'proper pizza oven' was a disaster. I hijacked someone elses thread who had a similar experience, and kept it going for a while during my trial and error: of which yeast, what hydration, what type of fermentation, what dough ball size, how to prepare the sauce, the cheese, do i have the right peel? ...

I've settle on an approximate workflow and formula. which I'll begin to document while I'm on a boring work call.

Source = pizzapp+ for calculating dough doses
Temp = 20c in the most stable temperature part of my house
Yeast = fresh or dry depending on what I have available
hydration = 63%
salt = 2.6% (gradually down from 3, to 2.8 to 2.6, not noticing much difference, but feels healthier?)
flour = caputo pizzeria
ball weight = 265g
sauce = 2 spoons
cheese = 1 ball sliced into thick-ish chunks (approx 10 chunks per ball)

Method:

dissolve fresh yeast in room temperature water. add some flour and mix by hand. gradually bits of flour until it forms a batter. at about 2/3 flour added, add salt and knead. slowly add the rest of the flour and continue to knead in the bowl. time varies depending on how busy i am and if i remember to check the time at the beginning. Once the ball is a rough mess, leave for 30 mins then do 3 sets of S&F 20mins apart. Bulk ferment overnight at RT. Ball first thing in the morning and leave to rest for 10hrs in balls on wooden chopping board covered by cling film. parially open balls in a frying pan full of semolina then stretch and top on kitchen counter.

Going to post this now before I lose it. Will follow up with a few batches of pics from bakes in the last few weeks.

Offline typicalsam

Re: My progress thread
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
a few times I had this issue where part of the dough would bubble up and burn. not sure if its a part that's too thin, or without enough toppings to weigh it down, or both? otherwise, I was fairly happy with these, other than the cheese looking a bit feeble. i may have still been using less than 1 ball per pizza at this point and breaking it into very small pieces which i dried very thoroughly.

also, some really nice pepperoni from https://properoni.co.uk/ the standard one has a great smokey flavour and the spicey one has some heat but its not overwhelming. the pieces are small and quite thin, so burn easily, so better underneath the cheese than on top

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »
next batch - mid nov

better handling and shaping. good size. keeping a consistent formula is helping my confidence and technique. a couple 'to-go' for friends, one was a bit under done. and the next one was over done. at this point i decided to invest in a turning peel as i noticed that the cooking isnt completely even depending on where you place the pizza. my launching isnt precise enough

the other thing i notice here is - bubbles coming out of the sides of the cornicione? i think this is from gas escaping out of the areas that i did not press down firmly enough?

i noticed part of the underside was really thin, and the other area burnt. maybe not removing enough semolina before launching? or stone temp too high? tring to reduce both. I've actually read 400c below is enough, but ive been in the habit of setting the oven to 500 above 500 below....just coz I could?

one for my girlfriend i was really happy with. i think it was prosciutto under the mozarella. really nice. mine was overdone and again burnt on one side :( 

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 11:31:31 AM »
oh man i should have really been cropping these. i'll start now, sorry!

this was a super tasty pizza, i still remember. properoni underneath the mozarella. juicy, softy,  and i had been talking to jack / amolapizza about how to handle the sauce and cheese. making sure the sauce was room temp, and draining the cheese well prior. first time i cut it kinda thick, just to see what happens. my thinking was that when i picked / slices the cheese real thin, it was drying out too much during the bake.

The only thing that let this one down was the shaping. didnt open it out enough, and a few bubbles around the cornicione. delicious tho!

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 11:54:32 AM »
i know i was proud of this one coz i took so many pics. working on improve stretching and shaping. slightly smaller cornicione, but a bigger pizza. got some really nice salami napoli for this one. beautiful. interestingly, a few days later it tasty a bit too 'cured' for my liking.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:57:32 AM by typicalsam »

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 04:54:38 PM »
Nice one

Will  be keeping up with this one  8)

Also interesting about the pepperoni....I've been on a mission over the last few years to get a good pepperoni in the UK, but have been largely disappointed by the products labelled "pepperoni" in UK supermarkets at least. The best I have got has been Hungarian paprika sausages, like Gyulai smoked sausage.

Otherwise I just get decent Italian salami and make do with that, it's very good but not really a substitute for pepperoni
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 05:03:23 PM by Hanglow »

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 07:50:18 AM »
I wouldn’t turn any of those pizzas down. They look very good.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 08:10:53 AM »
I wouldn’t turn any of those pizzas down. They look very good.
I agree. There is a lot to like in those pies!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 04:04:49 PM »
Nice one

Will  be keeping up with this one  8)

Also interesting about the pepperoni....I've been on a mission over the last few years to get a good pepperoni in the UK, but have been largely disappointed by the products labelled "pepperoni" in UK supermarkets at least. The best I have got has been Hungarian paprika sausages, like Gyulai smoked sausage.

Otherwise I just get decent Italian salami and make do with that, it's very good but not really a substitute for pepperoni
I'd say it's worth a try. They actually call it Hungarian gyulan (sp?) sausace. The company behind it supply pizza express if that helps you get an idea of the flavour.

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 04:12:32 PM »
Thanks Michael and Craig.

Did a bake on Xmas eve for the extended family. Hopefully a new tradition (I say this half of the time I make pizza)   :chef:

What I noticed this time was... It was really good fun. Glass of red wine, "pizza making music" playlist from Spotify of cheesy Italian music, and all the pizzas came out pretty well. Sticking to one exactly recipe and workflow has really helped

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 07:05:54 PM »
New year's day bake that I was very happy with. Keeping the recipe consistent has allowed me to focus on other things like handling, shaping, oven timing etc. Got a small turning peel from ooni during their black Friday sale which has been useful. The pizzas seem to benefit from a 180 degree spin after 60 sec then another 15 secs or so to bake.

Getting nice and fairly circular pizzas. Also liked the color and leoparding on these

Offline chgorrell

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 10:42:48 AM »
Those remind me of a spot near me, when the right person is working. Those look wonderful.
What were the weight of the new years bake?
Really nice progress brotha

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 06:36:23 AM »
Those remind me of a spot near me, when the right person is working. Those look wonderful.
What were the weight of the new years bake?
Really nice progress brotha
Thanks! 265g dough balls stretched to fit my 13 inch peel.

My ideal portion size would be around 220 I think for the right feeling of 'fullness' after eating a whole pizza, but I've only really managed to improve the shape, crust etc by making the pizzas a bit larger.

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 05:50:58 PM »
Dough balls down to 250. Still seem to stretch fine to 13 inch-ish which is the max I can fit in my oven.

Settings now for the p134h are 400 bottom and 450 top - then I turn the top to 500 after opening a dough ball - then the elements are usually red hot by the time I launch - the first back down to 450 while I start the next one

Loving the salsiccia di calabria - but it's expensive! £6.50 each and on my last pizza I went overboard and used nearly 1/4 of it. Delicious though! When cut a bit thin its the perfect pizza sausage - flavourful, not too spicy, great taste

Online billg

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 06:32:10 PM »
Those look Great!!!!!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 08:44:50 PM »
Looking good!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 09:30:30 AM »
thanks! Not a lot to talk about but appreciate the positive feedback

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 10:30:43 AM »
Those look great. Nice work

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 06:13:10 PM »
64% hr at the weekend, no real noticeable difference to dough handling or eating

Finding a better more even bake if I use a turning peel to turn the pizzas after about 45s. The only thing I'm worried about is the peel is too small (7inch) for a 13 inch pizza. No accidents yet but I can imagine one just ripping and the sides falling to the floor...

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 10:22:33 AM »
pizzas from the weekend - 64% HR and 10hr dough. left it an hour or two before balling so was a little more difficult to open than im used to with the normal 12 hours in balls. not sure if i prefer it or not.