A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Feeding Ischia Starter - hyration & flour?  (Read 451 times)

Offline levity03

• I Love Pizza!
Feeding Ischia Starter - hyration & flour?
« on: December 22, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »
Hello! Just received my Ischia culture and excited to test out the differences between my starter and this one with Neo pizzas. Any suggestions as to which flour(s) may be best to feed it with and hydration? I typically feed my starter with 75% AP / 25% Rye @ 100% hydration but wondering if this should be fed differently if it'll be used primarily for pizza...

Thanks!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Feeding Ischia Starter - hyration & flour?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 04:48:26 PM »
I use whatever flour I normally make pizza with.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 05:09:21 PM »
I change ups brands and even strengths of white flour and it doesnt seem to mind

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »
I feed mine Caputo Pizzeria, same as I make the pizza with.  It seems to like it just fine.  100% hydration.

A word of warning.  The Ischia culture takes a while to get strong enough to make good pizza.  It will double when fed in a few weeks and you will think - great, I'm ready to go!  But, the pizza just won't come out as good as you think it should.  Give it time, keep feeding a using it.  It will probably take a few months of work to get it up to full strength.
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 12:42:14 AM »
sk, try keeping it warm.  Another Hans trick... it does wonders for speeding up and maintaining great starter.  high 70's works well for me.

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 03:24:38 PM »
sk, try keeping it warm.  Another Hans trick... it does wonders for speeding up and maintaining great starter.  high 70's works well for me.

scottr:  Thanks!  Mine is working fine.  I just know mine and others I know took a bit of time for the starter to become strong enough to be dependable.  The first time it doubled was not really when it was fully ready to go.

Scott K.

Offline levity03

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »
Thanks All.

My 'regular' starter comes out of the fridge whenever I plan on baking -- every week or two, depending -- and this is when it's fed, once or twice before levain is made.

sk - you say it may take a few months before it gets going to get some good results. I assume I don't need to be on an everyday-feeding schedule..? With what kind of schedule are you saying this timeline is a reflection of?

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 03:47:58 PM »

sk - you say it may take a few months before it gets going to get some good results. I assume I don't need to be on an everyday-feeding schedule..? With what kind of schedule are you saying this timeline is a reflection of?

I keep mine at 100% hydration.  I take it out Thursday morning to come to room temp.  Then, I feed it Thursday night.  I feed it again Friday morning.  I make dough Friday night.  Last, I feed it and put back in the fridge until next week.