A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Pizzaiolo temperature settings and tips for NY style pizza  (Read 547 times)

Offline Messerschmitts

• I Love Pizza!
Hello, I'm new to this forum and pizza making. I recently splurged and bought a Breville.  I followed the instructions cards that came with the machine, and I've been able to turn out great tasting Neapolitan pizzas.  However when I followed their instructions and used their factory settings for New York pizza, my results were very disappointing.  The top of the pizza was not browned, the top looked pasty and white, the entire thing tasted bland, like it was made with a normal home oven, didn't taste anything like NY style pizza.  I even left it in there for an extra minute past the recommendations. 

Does anyone have good recommendations on the manual temperature settings for the deck and top, and time for bake?  Or maybe the factory settings for NY style is fine and I just didn't make the pizza thin enough? (It was my first time making it, I'm not that good at stretching the dough, it was a bit on the thick side).  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Breville Pizzaiolo temperature settings and tips for NY style pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 04:26:05 PM »
Messerschmitts,

It might help if you post your recipe and describe how you made and managed the dough to the point where you made the pizza.

Peter

Offline Messerschmitts

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »
I followed the instructions that came with the machine pretty exactly:

300g bread flour
2 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt (I used regular salt, I didn't have kosher like they wanted)
200mL water
2 tsp olive oil.

I mixed it in my stand-mixer for ~15 mins.  It was too wet to handle so I added ~3 tbps of flour, 1 tbps at a time.  I oiled the dough, divided in two, and put it in a zip-lock bag, stored in my fridge for 2 days.  On the day of baking I stretched it out using "gravity" but I don't think I did the best job, it was still a bit thick.  I used store-bought pizza sauce and low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella.  I know you're supposed to use whole milk, but I live on an island in Alaska, this is the best I can do.  I used factory NY style settings on the Breville, and baked for 7 mins.  The top still looked super pale and pasty so I put it in for another minute, but it still looked white/pale and tasted bland.  My theory is that either my dough was too thick to cook properly with factory settings or the factory NY setting is not hot enough, or a combination of both.  I would like to know if anyone has made really good NY style pizza on the Breville and what temp settings they used.   

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
read through these threads  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=62536.0 I'm sure there are some NY in the large general thread and some in the NY thread

I haven't done a lot of NY in the Breville.  Here is one  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34282.msg645286#msg645286 

I don't time mine so I can't tell you how long I baked.   I almost always let the oven heat up longer than it takes for the light to come on.   I figure the stone gets good and saturated with heat that way.

Deb

Offline Messerschmitts

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 07:36:26 PM »
Wow Deb yours look great.  Maybe I just need to let it preheat a little longer.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Not that I know anything about NY pizza nor have I used the Breville oven.

Is your flour malted?
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

wordpress