A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: South Shore Bar Pizza, anyone actually had it?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
Re: South Shore Bar Pizza, anyone actually had it?
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2021, 03:07:12 PM »
I cooked mine directly on stone, which was placed on bottom rack (above heating element) my oven was set at 500. I also think the Lloyd's pans work incredibly well. I don't own any 10" pans so would be purchasing them. I will most likely get Bay State 10" pans because a)I am curious about them and b) they are slightly cheaper than the Lloyd's 10" pans. I also feel like I would need to get 4 pans of the 10" size for the crowd I usually cook for, so every little penny helps.

Offline enchant

• Lifetime Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2021, 04:33:15 PM »
For those of you who use the bay state pans...  When you spread the sauce and cheese to the edge so it touches the pan, after it's done baking, does it stick hard to the pan, or does it fall right away, like it does in Toddzilla's video?
--pat--

Offline billg

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2021, 04:44:58 PM »
For those of you who use the bay state pans...  When you spread the sauce and cheese to the edge so it touches the pan, after it's done baking, does it stick hard to the pan, or does it fall right away, like it does in Toddzilla's video?

Mine fell right out and just wiped cleaned with a damp paper towel

Offline enchant

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2021, 04:51:23 PM »
Ok, I'm definitely using the wrong pan.  I need a chainsaw to extract my pizzas.
--pat--

Offline billg

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2021, 07:59:20 PM »
Ok, I'm definitely using the wrong pan.  I need a chainsaw to extract my pizzas.

:-D

Offline Wickedmrzilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2021, 09:28:20 PM »
Here's my recipe for South Shore MA bar pizza. Started at barpizzabarpizza and modified it over 116 pizzas as of the last batch an hour ago.
Hope this helps.

Offline fewd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2021, 12:21:35 AM »
Here's my recipe for South Shore MA bar pizza. Started at barpizzabarpizza and modified it over 116 pizzas as of the last batch an hour ago.
Hope this helps.

I've been riffing off of your recipe for the last few weeks now.  Appreciate your hard work on it.  I have decades of bar pizza eating experience and I have to say you've come the closest. 

How's the food truck coming along?

Offline fewd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2021, 12:24:00 AM »
Looks like the pic of The Full Red Extra Heavy Puree & Tomato Magic is outside Lynwood. Love Google Street View.

That's amazing  :-D I knew it was Full Red Heavy but always assumed it was combined with 7/11.  Guess there's not much of a difference other than the peels. 

Those two things combined with a little bit of water, salt and pepper will get you pretty close to Lynwood.  There are those that will tell you that they taste rosemary or other herbs in there but I doubt it.  One rumor I've heard is that they add a little more sugar to the sauce.  But the Full Red / 7/11 mixture I've been using is almost exact with no added sugar.

Town Spa supposedly adds MSG to their sauce...not sure if Lynwood does.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:35:46 AM by fewd »

Offline fewd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2021, 12:41:19 AM »
Nice Pie! I have a Dough Batch in the Fridge of Toddzilla's recipe... gonna rock that tomorrow if this Ice Storm we are having allows it. Crossing my fingers. If the pizza gods are smiling on me tomorrow, I'll post some pics. Eager to try that recipe.

What's your verdict on the pizza at Emmas?

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2021, 09:19:21 AM »
What's your verdict on the pizza at Emmas?

I have not actually had the fortune of tasting authentic SSBP. Hopefully someday soon.

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2021, 10:32:45 PM »
Here's a relatively recent video review of Poopsie's with good shots of the side and undercarriage.

Carl

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2021, 11:43:37 PM »
This is great, but he keeps calling it a cracker crust, and then when he holds it up to the camera its clearly 1/4 inch thick crust!    There is a difference between cracker crust (like colony/riko's thats 1/16th inch thick) and this, which is a fairly thick pizza that just happens to be very crispy on the bottom.

Now I see why the bar pizza style topic is so confusing between Connecticut and MA! 

Offline fewd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2021, 03:42:36 PM »
This is great, but he keeps calling it a cracker crust, and then when he holds it up to the camera its clearly 1/4 inch thick crust!    There is a difference between cracker crust (like colony/riko's thats 1/16th inch thick) and this, which is a fairly thick pizza that just happens to be very crispy on the bottom.

Now I see why the bar pizza style topic is so confusing between Connecticut and MA!

Hey Scott, noticed you mentioned that you were from Raynham.  Where do you place Emma's in the Bar Pizza world?  Do you think it gets enough love?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2021, 08:10:12 PM »
Favorite part about that place is that they fresh squeeze the OJ and Grapefruit juice to order for cocktails!

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2021, 08:23:46 PM »
Triple posting but a few pics not used in the other posts.
Carl

Offline Dasnyde4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2021, 02:05:05 PM »
I know it isn't 100% authentic, but could you use Cast iron pans instead of the bay state or lloyds?  Want to try the style, but don't want to commit to the pan just yet.  Wondering if you would get a similar crust/texture using cast iron

Offline enchant

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
I know it isn't 100% authentic, but could you use Cast iron pans instead of the bay state or lloyds?  Want to try the style, but don't want to commit to the pan just yet.  Wondering if you would get a similar crust/texture using cast iron

I've never personally tried cast iron pans, but I can't see them working well.  The heat needs to reach the pizza fairly quickly, and cast iron is fairly thick and dense.  it'd probably take a good deal of time for the heat to penetrate the cast iron and get to the dough.
--pat--

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • Isolating a year from C-19 made me a better baker.
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2021, 05:29:27 AM »
You are correct in that cast iron pans won't let the bottom heat quickly enough so that the entire pie, bottom to top, is finished at the same time.

I used to use cast iron pans before buying the proper pans. What I would do is when I put the cast iron pan in the oven to bake the pie, I'd put a large burner on the stove top on medium at the same time so that it would warm up. Then when the top of the pie was where it was where I wanted it, I'd pull it from the oven and put it on the burner to finish the bottom. That typically took 1-3 more minutes. You'll need to check it every minute or so using a spatula to lift the pie to check bottom doneness. Let it continue cooking the bottom of there to where you want it, then remove from the pan. I would get very good results, as the top of the pie pretty much stops baking when pulled from the oven, and the bottom finishes as desired. It's a good work around for occasional pie baking. However, nothing will beat a proper pan for convenience, consistency, and ease of baking if you're making them often, or need to make more than one at the same time.

I've never personally tried cast iron pans, but I can't see them working well.  The heat needs to reach the pizza fairly quickly, and cast iron is fairly thick and dense.  it'd probably take a good deal of time for the heat to penetrate the cast iron and get to the dough.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Everything sounds better in latin.

Offline Dasnyde4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2021, 10:10:15 AM »
You are correct in that cast iron pans won't let the bottom heat quickly enough so that the entire pie, bottom to top, is finished at the same time.

I used to use cast iron pans before buying the proper pans. What I would do is when I put the cast iron pan in the oven to bake the pie, I'd put a large burner on the stove top on medium at the same time so that it would warm up. Then when the top of the pie was where it was where I wanted it, I'd pull it from the oven and put it on the burner to finish the bottom. That typically took 1-3 more minutes. You'll need to check it every minute or so using a spatula to lift the pie to check bottom doneness. Let it continue cooking the bottom of there to where you want it, then remove from the pan. I would get very good results, as the top of the pie pretty much stops baking when pulled from the oven, and the bottom finishes as desired. It's a good work around for occasional pie baking. However, nothing will beat a proper pan for convenience, consistency, and ease of baking if you're making them often, or need to make more than one at the same time.

Thanks!  I guess I'm looking for a pan.  Would 2 inch depth work or does it need to be 1 inch?

Offline enchant

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2021, 02:19:09 PM »
1 inch is what you want.
--pat--

wordpress