A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Final Dough Temp of 100% Biga Dough  (Read 450 times)

Offline Maestro Palla

• I Love Pizza!
Final Dough Temp of 100% Biga Dough
« on: January 21, 2021, 04:00:59 AM »
Hey,

some questions regarding final dough temp after kneading of a pizza dough with 100% biga:

1. What is the optimal final dough temperature of a 100% biga dough? A friend suggested 24-26 °C, like a normal classic dough. But a 100% Biga dough is wayyyy more active, so shouldnt be the final dough temp lower?

2. How to calculate water temp to get the optimal final dough temp for a 100% Biga dough? So normally it would be:

water temp = (Desired final dough temp - heat of mixer) x 3 - room temp - flour temp. How would that formular look like for the 100% Biga dough?

3. Why is the hydration level not considered in the formular? The amount of water should be an important variable, isnt it?

Thanks a lot,
Gemello :-)

Instagram: gemello_veganpizzaberlin

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
Re: Final Dough Temp of 100% Biga Dough
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 01:33:50 AM »
According to Marco Fuso, one of the foremost experts on biga based pizza, the final temp for 100% biga dough depends on how you manage the dough.

1) If you ball up right away and use the dough within 2-3 hours after it doubles at room temperature, temp should be 23-25C at end of mixing.
If you ball up and put the balls in the fridge for use tomorrow, keep temp lower to 20-21C at end of mixing. Make sure balls are brought back up to room temp before baking or you'll get a pale cornicione, especially with a 100% biga formula.

2) I will be taking a biga class with Marco Fuso on 3rd and 4th of Feb so I might be better able to answer that question after the class. The formula you have will give you the average water temperature needed in the mix, not the temperature of the water used for the refreshment.

You should be able to calculate the refreshment water temperature based on the Average WT:

Average WT = DDT * 3 - FlourTemp - RoomTemp - FrictionFactor

now that you know the Average WT:

Average WT = (Biga Temp * Grams water in biga + Refreshment WaterTemp * Grams water in refreshment) / Total grams water

so

Refreshment WT = (Average WT * Total grams water - Biga Temp * Grams water in biga) / Grams water in the refreshment

To be honest, this seems a bit too convoluted and complicated, so I'm curious to see how Marco Fuso actually manages this aspect. Up to now, I've just always used iced water in the refreshment, and I've also put the biga into the fridge for a couple of hours prior to mixing, in order to reduce the heat buildup. It has worked out well.

2) The water temp calculation is an approximation that works reasonably well. In order to keep the formula simple, neither hydration nor the use of preferments is properly factored in.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 07:53:16 AM »
[...]and I've also put the biga into the fridge for a couple of hours prior to mixing, in order to reduce the heat buildup. It has worked out well.
[...]

This is what I would suggest, so far the easiest solution IMO.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »
Just for fun...and hopefully it will be useful, I did the math here with WolframAlpha, a free online equation calculator. Copy and paste the following link into the URL of your web browser (Don't click the automatically generated link in pizzamaking.com as it doesn't work). You can then modify any of the values to get different results depending on your specific dough formula, friction factor, etc.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=w+%3D+d*3-f-a-m%3B+%28b*c+%2B+o*r%29%2F%28c%2Bo%29+%3D+w%3B+a+%3D+18%3B+b+%3D+18%3B+c+%3D+440%3B+d+%3D+23%3B+f+%3D+18%3B+m+%3D+17%3B+o+%3D+260%3B+r+%3D+

You can use this weblink and substitute the values of each variable with your own to get the final value r which is the refreshment water temperature. I would have liked to make the variables more descriptive, but WolframAlpha doesn't work well with anything other than single letter variables, so this is what I used. The result may appear as a fraction - just click on the fraction and you'll have the decimal version. The numbers are all in Celcius.

w = d*3-f-a-m;
(b*c + o*r)/(c+o) = w;
a = 18;
b = 18;
c = 440;
d = 23;
f = 18;
m = 17;
o = 260;

a = ambient temperature
b = temp of biga; 
c = grams water in biga;
d = desired dough temp
f = flour temp
m = mixer friction
o = grams water in refreshment
r = temp of refreshment water
w = average water temp
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:35:28 AM by DoouBall »
Alex

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 11:17:04 PM »
Wow, a celebration of differences! My hat’s off to you Alex! Many moons ago Wolfram Alpha actually entered my ageing skull, likely due to web work and math, but when I saw it related to pizza, I realize I am slipping a cog, the Calendar is catching up, my approach has to be simpler now. May it help in the pursuit of fun and pizza greatness! Thanks for your contribution!
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 01:01:39 AM »
OMG  :-D :-D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 02:42:57 PM »
It was really just for fun - I think approximating the temperature is really good enough most of the time.
Alex