A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My trip to Naples and back  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
My trip to Naples and back
« on: January 31, 2021, 01:53:35 PM »
Howdy folks.

I am a long time pizza-fan ever since i've been going to Italy with my parents as a kid. The first time i ate pizza was with Italians. When we drove through the streets of Northern Italy they pointed out the pizzeria's advertising 'forno a legna' (wfo) so they knew which restaurants to avoid.  I was ten and they told me to get the Margarita. And it is still one of my favorite pizza's. Truth be told, i didn't like pizza at first, as crazy as it sounds.

Now it's quite the opposite, i am a real pizzafreak and could yap about it for hours. Sometimes i have to remind myself that not all people are like minded pizzafreaks. It's hard to imagine people not liking pizza.

So i decided to try baking pizza myself, learn the art, which as we all know is easier said then done. I started with a home oven and pizza's with awful rock-hard bottoms, thinking it cannot be done at home. Searching for restaurants in my area, but not finding any that fit the bill. That's a little inside info about how i got on this road.

Here i am in spiritual Naples, where all roads of the online Italian pizzalovers lead i guess. I've been lurking here for quite a while, learning much about dough but not daring to show much of my baking adventures with the Ferrari. Even though it is a nice little device, i couldn't get the same impressive results with it like some others have. Mine never tasted as good as i was hoping for and i am not capable of doing all the mods.

So i decided to pull the trigger on an Effeuno 500 degrees version, which doesn't need any mods other then the biscotto stone which was sold along with it. This oven has improved my baking enough for me to have the guts to show the results to you in this topic.

Alright, no more talking, here come the pictures of tonight's pies!

Caputo rosso
70% hydro
3% salt
0,2 dry yeast

24 hours bulk and 4 hours balls at room temperature. The remaining two balls are in the fridge.

Baking time 90 seconds and turning once.

The pies coming out of this oven taste better then anything i've baked before.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 01:58:09 PM by Wario »

Offline typicalsam

Re: My trip to Naples and back
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »
Nice! How do you find handling and launch dough at 70%HR? I found high 60s challenging so have been down around 63/64 for a while

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:33:00 AM »
The dough is indeed sticky and i don't handle it too much. I basically mix the ingredients, cover it and leave the dough to rest. After an hour or so i knead it into a ball and that's it. With previous dough's i noticed that much kneading makes the dough too elastic.

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 06:04:14 PM »
Yeah. At that level I even worry about getting it off the peel!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 07:06:39 PM »
With plenty semola flour your pizza slides of the peal with eaze even with 70% hydration.

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 07:00:19 AM »
With plenty semola flour your pizza slides of the peal with eaze even with 70% hydration.
maybe for you!  ;D ive had a few accidents maybe stretching the dough too thin or overloading with toppings. it was such a disaster that i went down to 62% HR and now im slowly building back up again

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 11:56:24 AM »
I had the pizza not sliding off during my second bake when i had low hydration. Due to the fact that i put it on the shovel before topping it, it got sticky and wouldn't come off.  I was afraid that sticking the shovel underneath the pizza would be too tricky, but it turned out to be fairly easy. And when the pizza slides on, it slides off too.

Offline Smaans

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 12:12:12 PM »
With a gi metal peel or something alike it should be no problem

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 06:10:00 PM »
The dough for tomorrow is rising.

Caputo rosso
70% hydration
3% salt
0,2 % dry yeast

And tomorrow i'll make some pizzadough with flour that is best suitable for fresh pasta. I'll be aiming for 70% hydration and add flour if i'm unable to handle the dough.

I'll be setting the oven to 500/350  or 400. With my previous bake from the photo the oven was on 450/200.

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 06:21:49 PM »
Yeah I think 400 is good for the bottom heat. I normally set the top heat to 450 then uo to 500 as I start topping the pizza, so the element is glowing red hot when I launch the pizza

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 12:54:34 AM »
Nice! How do you find handling and launch dough at 70%HR? I found high 60s challenging so have been down around 63/64 for a while

This kind of high hydration dough will be easier to manage when using "double hydration" technique (when kneading, you add 60 to 65% water first, then you switch on the 2nd/fast speed and add the remaining water little by little). Then, depending on your fermentation stage, dough will be more or less elastic/extensible, impacting a lot the launching...

Wario, that looks very good!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »
Yeah I think 400 is good for the bottom heat.
I'm going to try that next time. Tonight i set the bottom at 450 which burned the pizza a slight tad.
I normally set the top heat to 450 then uo to 500 as I start topping the pizza, so the element is glowing red hot when I launch the pizza
I did that too at first but read on an Italian forum that you need not the worry about that with an F1. So now i set the top immediately to 500 degrees and leave it there.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 02:11:54 PM »
Tonight i tried regular flour type "00 and it worked out quite well. When there's no Caputo available normal flour works too.

Hydration 66%
salt 3%
dry yeast 0,2%

6 hours bulk and 1 hour balls all at room temperature. Now that i had the bottom much hotter then previous time, the pizza tasted so much better. It was absolutely amazing t.b.h.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:15:34 PM by Wario »

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 12:22:48 PM »
Still had three Caputo dough balls in the fridge from wednessday, now there are two left.  ;D

The temps of the F1 were set to 500/350 and the bottom of the pizza tends to burn while the top is under cooked. Even though i've read a lot of comments on that the heat must come from the bottom, i think the oven set to 500/350 is too much. Next bake i'll probably try 500/200 and dust off my infrared meter to see what's the actual warmth of the stone. With the device set to 500/350 i think the bottom surpasses the heat it is set to, but i haven't measured it. Anyway, here is tonight's pie. A slight tad too well done but it tasted good!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 01:39:51 PM »
I still was hungry, but burned ball number two and three too. Now there's no dough balls left.  :o

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 01:48:00 PM »
To me, that doesn't look burned. I like it like that. I consider burned when half of the bottom is black or if you have large black rings which you don't.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline Smaans

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 01:58:24 PM »
Yes, this is definetely not burnt. Bottom looks good. Top could handle some more heat.

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 01:03:08 PM »
I finally found out how to not burn the bottoms anymore, it's simply using the infrared gun and that's it!

Tonight i made pizza with poolish dough and i really enjoyed the lightness of it! It was my second time, but i guess i'm sold!

Offline Wario

• Wario gonna get you!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
Been practicing a lot since i bought the Effeuno pizza-oven. Reading and baking and of course eating too. I've come to the conclusion thus far that the heat must come from beneath for the best taste!

Nowadays i keep the hydro around 65%. Been trying poolish too, but can't honestly say i can taste much difference compared to the normal way of making dough. So i went back to the normal way of fermentation. Here are some pictures of my most recent pies.

Offline typicalsam

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »
I love those little holes in the underside, I've no idea if it's a  good thing or not but it seems some of my "just right" pizzas may have had them

Also been trying 70% hydration with reasonable success. Thanks for the encouragement