A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: February 2021 Monthly Challenge: Alliums  (Read 797 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
February 2021 Monthly Challenge: Alliums
« on: February 01, 2021, 12:53:00 AM »
Onion, garlic, scallion, shallot, leek, chives ... all members of the genus "Allium" and all great on pizza. Let's see what special pizzas you can make this month. It bears repeating that your entry must be baked during February and that the main goal of this board is to encourage you to try new things and expand your skills. And especially to have fun.

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
Re: February 2021 Monthly Challenge: Alliums
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 07:20:35 AM »
Interesting...I'm on another cooking forum, and the monthly challenge is...alliums!

Offline nickyr

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 10:55:05 PM »
This pizza has an entire red onion on it, caramelized.

Offline Yeller

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 09:03:36 AM »
So what are the rules? Any other than the selected ingredient..?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 04:35:37 PM »
So this one was made the other night, before I had even seen this page (last time I checked for the Feb challenge, it was not up yet).  This is the French inspired small pie that I make for my wife.  This one happens to be thinned out mascarpone cheese for the sauce, topped with sautéed ham, jalapeno, green onion, garlic and then topped with herb de provence and pre shredded gruyere from Trader Joe's.  After the pie has been in for a few minutes, I crack an egg on top (after inspiration from last month).  This is the third time I have tried the egg, and this is the first time that I think I nailed the cook time - runny yolk but cooked white.

Now that I know about the challenge, I may shoot for "all alliums are welcome to the party" type of pie.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 06:01:23 PM by Pete-zza »
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 10:23:06 PM »
This was supposed to be my alliums pie but you can't see them! White onion, green pepper, garlic, pepperoni, sausage, black olive. I put the onion and green pepper on first, sort of on accident and it got lost in the mix, pretty good pie though!
Carl

Offline Bert

• Lifetime Member
  • Mighty Pizza Stone
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 06:59:11 AM »
Tomato sauce, bacon, parmesan cheese and sautéed green onions pizza.

100% KAAPF
62% Water
2.5% Sea salt
ADY
Bert

Offline sodface

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 10:39:50 PM »
At the risk of tooting my own horn, the pizza I posted in reply #6 is one of my favorite pies that I've made to date. I really enjoyed it. I was wanting a "supreme" type of pizza and this did it. I was nervous about moisture from the onions and green pepper so I sliced them both thin, put them in a bowl and salted them liberally. I let them sit for a bit and then rinsed, spun dry, and squeezed in paper towel to wring out the moisture. it worked well, no issues with excessive moisture after baking.
Carl

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 07:08:42 AM »
Here's my contribution!

I made 2 pizza for the challenge:
1) leek sauce (stir-fried leek + water, when water evaporates I mix), mozzarella, and fresh marinated salmon (lemon juice, thick salt & pepper).
2) "Mexican" style sauce (bell pepper, onion, tomato and lime), smoked Monterey Jack cheese, and after bake marinated red onions (from Danny Trejo's book "Trejo's Tacos"  ;D), grilled chorizo.

Both were excellent, except for the dough which was problematic. It was a 48H CF sourdough (in order not to waste the sourdough discard when refreshing), but dough was very weak (I think it's because of my new SD, was very acidic), so I couldn't make it thin enough, which resulted in a lesser quality bake.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:10:29 AM by Yael »
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline levity03

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 11:22:40 AM »
Made some pies for friends in the neighborhood (and ourselves!) for Superbowl Sunday. Funny enough, one of the pies was named the "Allium"!

Sauteed leek & shallot; roasted fennel with grated gruyere and a bit of fresh mozz; after cook, topped with chopped scallions.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 08:36:29 PM »
Scallion Focaccia, sourdough all organic ingredients.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 03:24:50 PM »
I went all in on this one.  It is much closer to the French inspired pie that I do for my wife, but the toppings here are really a stretch to consider French.  The thinned out mascarpone cheese for the sauce has onion powder in it, then topped with sautéed yellow onion/leek/garlic/green onion, raw shallot was added to the pie pre-bake and then there is pickled red onion and chive added post bake.  Then topped with the pre-shredded swiss I use for this style.  I went a little far with the sautéed mixture in terms of volume, but the overall flavor was good.  And I would think that we are immune from catching a cold for a few days too (maybe less vampires hanging about the house as well).
I did the Rosenthal dough with some modifications.  I upped the sugar to 2%, and did my attempt at an autolyze by dumping maybe 1/3rd of the flour and all of the RT water into the bowl, mixing and letting it sit for 30 min.  I then finished as usual and let the dough on the counter for 1 hour - 69 degrees was the temp when I was done.  Then it went for a 72 hr CF.  This one overproofed pretty quickly - there were huge (and I mean HUGE) bubbles in the container after only 24 hrs.  Fearing tearing the dough, I only had it out of the fridge for 45 minutes prior to stretching.  The finished product was thicker than I would like, but tearing would have been worse.  It also did not brown as much as I would hope, but it wasn't bad.  I am learning how to salvage certain situations to make something decent thanks to this site.

Offline mglazer

• A life without pizza is no life at all
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 05:57:10 AM »
This one has tomato, mozzarella, parmesan, green onions, bacon, Kewpie and nori.

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 09:35:25 AM »
This one has tomato, mozzarella, parmesan, green onions, bacon, Kewpie and nori.

Kewpie?

Offline nickyr

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 10:54:03 AM »
I went all in on this one.  It is much closer to the French inspired pie that I do for my wife, but the toppings here are really a stretch to consider French.  The thinned out mascarpone cheese for the sauce has onion powder in it, then topped with sautéed yellow onion/leek/garlic/green onion, raw shallot was added to the pie pre-bake and then there is pickled red onion and chive added post bake.  Then topped with the pre-shredded swiss I use for this style.  I went a little far with the sautéed mixture in terms of volume, but the overall flavor was good.  And I would think that we are immune from catching a cold for a few days too (maybe less vampires hanging about the house as well).
I did the Rosenthal dough with some modifications.  I upped the sugar to 2%, and did my attempt at an autolyze by dumping maybe 1/3rd of the flour and all of the RT water into the bowl, mixing and letting it sit for 30 min.  I then finished as usual and let the dough on the counter for 1 hour - 69 degrees was the temp when I was done.  Then it went for a 72 hr CF.  This one overproofed pretty quickly - there were huge (and I mean HUGE) bubbles in the container after only 24 hrs.  Fearing tearing the dough, I only had it out of the fridge for 45 minutes prior to stretching.  The finished product was thicker than I would like, but tearing would have been worse.  It also did not brown as much as I would hope, but it wasn't bad.  I am learning how to salvage certain situations to make something decent thanks to this site.
The bottom of that looks awesome

Offline mglazer

• A life without pizza is no life at all
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »
Kewpie?

It’s a unique, rich Japanese Mayo. And it’s easy for me to find because I live in Tokyo. Here’s more info about kewpie:

https://www.kewpie.com/en/products/mayonnaise/
https://www.foodandwine.com/news/why-chefs-love-kewpie-mayo

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 09:33:32 AM »
The bottom of that looks awesome

Wow - thanks!  You make some great looking pies, so that means a lot!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 04:36:36 PM »
Here's a pizza I made using Chau's NYC dough for an experiment using the Carbon Kitchen oven. Alliums everywhere:

1. Sauce is made from the leftover oil after making crispy shallots. It includes shallot oil, toasted pine nuts, white miso.

2. The dark stuff on the top are sauteed leeks, mushrooms, garlic

3. Not shown are crispy shallots, used as a garnish at the table.

Would have been nice to garnish with chives but didn't have any.

The high point was definitely the sauce.