A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Re-balling dough - Suggestions?  (Read 234 times)

Offline levity03

• I Love Pizza!
Re-balling dough - Suggestions?
« on: February 20, 2021, 09:03:18 AM »
Hi All,

I'm using a new Ischia starter - fed a couple of times before my mix. Made some dough on Thur night, left it out overnight to bulk at about 72F. As I woke up yesterday, it was touching the lid of the container - a lot more fermentation than I anticipated. So I punched down, then balled. I then put the balls in a cooler at around 62F for around 8 hours until it was about 2x in size. Posting a pic of how active it was. (My thinking is that I put too much of this very active starter in it but I suppose that can be diagnosed later.) I stuck these containers in the fridge until now (Sat AM) with the intention of baking tonight but I've had issues with a SD doughs tearing easily in the past, and don't want to deal with it tonight! I'm considering reballing but wondering how I should go about doing it in terms of temp. Should I reball directly out of the fridge and then stick back in the fridge until a couple of hours before bake, or should I let it come to room temp, reball and keep out? Or...?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the dough formula:
100% Caputo Blue
63% H2O
15% Sourdough
2% EVOO
3% Salt

I can explain the method I used if someone thinks that perhaps the amount of a strong starter perhaps isn't to blame. I would like to figure it out for next time!

Max

Offline miz_en_plaz

Re: Re-balling dough - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 01:55:54 PM »
Not sure if it's too late, but I would have taken out of the fridge, degas it and reball and start the oven and then bake soon after.

The dough looks over fermented, 15% starter is a ton for an over night RT ferment, knock it down to 5% and try the same schedule, it seems like you did everything correctly, just too much starter in the recipe.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 06:41:05 PM »
Is reballing necessary? Maybe bake now? (ok I know it's already too late)
If your dough seems too soft and seems to be tearing, maybe you can reball, wait 2H at RT (or a couple more in the fridge) and bake (reballing will give strength to the ball so you need time to let it relax). This way you'll also see if the gluten network is still here or not.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline levity03

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 11:48:44 AM »
Hey guys -- both responses too late but all good. I ended up not reballing. Just handled the dough with a lot of care and it worked out OK. Not as bad as I envisioned, and the pizzas were more trouble from the Ooni (super cold and a bit windy) than any other factor.

I was following Anthony Falco's neapolitanish recipe - saw on one site he recommended 5 hrs at RT, then balling and leaving out for 12-18 hrs until bake, but another on his instagram he bulked at RT overnight. I didn't really have the option to do the 5 hrs at RT cuz I was going to bed so left out overnight. I realized the next morning pretty quickly that there was too much starter in the mix. Silver lining: It is good to see how active the starter is, as it's a new Ischian culture.

Onwards to the next bake!

Offline levity03

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 11:51:11 AM »
Couple pics :)

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 07:00:40 PM »
Well that looks quite nice!!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

wordpress