A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My pizza al Taglio progress and experiments  (Read 252 times)

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
My pizza al Taglio progress and experiments
« on: February 22, 2021, 12:43:05 PM »
Hello, so I'm on the process of start baking a lot and I figure I should only use one thread to share my results. I'm starting to mix different flours and make some adjustments to get my desired flavor and texture. Last time I posted (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66192.0) on the Sicilian style board which I know realize that this board is used more for this style.

So I begin with this weekend pizzas I made. One on Friday and one on Saturday.

Process was the same for both and by hand.

1.5hr of autolyse (All flour, 70% water)
Added the starter and water to reach 80%. 40min rest.
Added the Oil and salt and mix well. 30min rest.
4 rounds of coil folds every 30min.
Balled with little flour in an oiled container for 24hrs of CF.

1st dough:
80% local bread flour
20% whole wheat
20% Starter
4% EVOO
2% Salt

This one had a good earthy flavor, it might be a little strong for some.

Photos below (my kid like it a lot 😅)

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
Re: My pizza al Taglio progress and experiments
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 12:50:29 PM »
2nd dough:
80% local bread flour
20% spelt flour
20% Starter
4% EVOO
2% Salt

This one had a more subtle flavor, a little nutty but more close to what I remember had in Rome. Still not completely happy about the oven spring. I will try some changes in the baking process to see if that can help. I understand that using sourdough adds a challenge but I'm determined to find a way. I don't want to go back to the flavor I can get with yeast even with long fermentation times. Specially since is not easy to get good or import good quality flours here.

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 09:47:20 PM »
Ramiro,

You are the man! The combination of whole grains and natural starter is the holy grail for me but both make it harder  to get that light airy but crisp crust. I’m waiting for you to perfect it so I can copy it! My similar recipe al taglio spelt/sourdough pies looked pretty similar and tasted great but still had the density reflecting the whole grain percentages. I’m hoping to do better but have been on a NY style binge lately.

There is at thread in thr general category started by Wholywheaty who made a beautiful and light Neopolitan pizza with 40% spelt. He did two things that were interesting: 1. He went out of his way to create a young sweet Levain, 2. He did a20 minute autolyse of the spelt by itself in excess water before adding the remaining flour. Check it out when you get a chance. I will be using his sourdough technique on my next bread bake and the autolyse technique on my next whole grain pizza if whatever style. It may have some relevance to your pursuit of al taglio perfection.

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 10:04:42 PM »
Ramiro,

You are the man! The combination of whole grains and natural starter is the holy grail for me but both make it harder  to get that light airy but crisp crust. I’m waiting for you to perfect it so I can copy it! My similar recipe al taglio spelt/sourdough pies looked pretty similar and tasted great but still had the density reflecting the whole grain percentages. I’m hoping to do better but have been on a NY style binge lately.

There is at thread in thr general category started by Wholywheaty who made a beautiful and light Neopolitan pizza with 40% spelt. He did two things that were interesting: 1. He went out of his way to create a young sweet Levain, 2. He did a20 minute autolyse of the spelt by itself in excess water before adding the remaining flour. Check it out when you get a chance. I will be using his sourdough technique on my next bread bake and the autolyse technique on my next whole grain pizza if whatever style. It may have some relevance to your pursuit of al taglio perfection.

That sounds very interesting, I will definitely take a look for sure. I will be very happy if my experiments help someone.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:27:24 PM »
All I can say is that it looks good and I'm hungry  :drool:
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 12:02:40 PM »
80% local bread flour
10% spelt flour
10% whole wheat
80% water
20% Starter
4% EVOO
2% Salt

Made a Rossa this time and while I'm more happy with the texture of this one since I adjusted my baking process (putting the pan on the bottom of the oven) but I also made the mistake of leaving it around 2-3 minutes more and my bottom burned a little. Good and tasty learning experience.

Offline Sapp

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 01:58:45 PM »
Very consistent thickness, no flat spots. Your dough handling skills are very good

Offline annabakesforever

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 10:34:11 PM »
I tried your whole wheat recipe today and loved it. Need to reconfigure for my half sheet pan as it was stretched a bit thin but the taste was great . Thank you !

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:03:24 AM »
Very consistent thickness, no flat spots. Your dough handling skills are very good

^^^
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:56:31 AM »
I tried your whole wheat recipe today and loved it. Need to reconfigure for my half sheet pan as it was stretched a bit thin but the taste was great . Thank you !
You're very welcome! happy that it helped.  :)

wordpress