A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tony Gemignani flour  (Read 298 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Tony Gemignani flour
« on: February 22, 2021, 11:13:30 PM »
Has anyone used this flour from Central Milling? Reportedly 15% protein. I bought a bag having a slight affinity to Gemignani' s pizza and having attended his international school in SF. Will play with it but wondering if there are any personal experiences here?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Tony Gemignani flour
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 11:43:25 PM »
Has anyone used this flour from Central Milling? Reportedly 15% protein. I bought a bag having a slight affinity to Gemignani' s pizza and having attended his international school in SF. Will play with it but wondering if there are any personal experiences here?
Mark

I bought a bag and found it confusing. Although the website implies otherwise, the bag listed malt as an ingredient. There was some wording on the bag about it not being meant for high temps. I don't remember what pizzas I tried it with, but was not impressed and never reordered.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 01:39:38 AM »
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=54900.260. Reply 278.    I really like this stuff a lot!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 01:44:44 AM »
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=54900.260. Reply 278.    I really like this stuff a lot!

Do you have a bag? Can you tell me if yours is malted and whether there is a statement on the bag about suitable temps? Thanks!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 10:30:36 AM »
Bill, I took pics of the bag I received a couple days ago. Malt is listed and cooking temp is also suggested. protein by my calcs
4g (protein / serving) / 30g (serving size)=13.3%

Mark
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:33:48 AM by mkevenson »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 06:12:31 PM »
Same bag here...he did mention suggested temps which I read as note to not assume 00 milling meant it was for NP temps...

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »
Yesterday I baked 2 pies in my home oven using Central Milling's Tony Gemignani artisan 00 flour. This flour is malted and designed to use in an oven at temps of 500F - 600F. My oven has a max temp setting of 550F and has induction baking and roasting. My oven set up was 2 pizza stones , one about 6-8 inches from top broiler and one on the second lowest rack from the bottom. I pre heated the oven at max convection temp of 550F for > 1 hr. !st pie was started on top stone after turning the broiler on HI and moved to lower stone after 2 min. total cook time for both pies was 4 1/2 min. Second pie was started on bottom stone at 550F and moved to top stone after 2 1/2 min with broiler on high.

So how did the flour perform?

1st observation was during hand mixing. The dough was a bit stiff and not as soft as my Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour. The kneading process took longer to achieve a smooth dough ball surface.

My recipe was: for 2 pies
flour 100% 366.5g ( sifted)
water 62% 227.2 g ( 80F)
yeast IDY 0.5%, 1.8g ( dissolved in 25g of water 105F)
salt ( diamond crystal kosher) 2.35%, 8.6g ( dissolved in 50g warm water}
Evoo 3% 11g

Dough temp after kneading 74.5F.
dough ball weight 295g/296g

Dough balls 48hr CF. As seen in pics I believe 48hours was too long fermentation considering the amount of yeast, ( see pics of dough ball with no spring back), will decrease yeast to 0.3% next time.

Dough balls out of fridge 2.75 hrs at room temp prior to opening
Dough ball open easily but dough was not as strong as anticipated. Perhaps due to over fermentation.
Crust was somewhat crunchy at cornice but softer at the end of the pie slice. I attribute this to my inability to open my dough in a consistent manner with uniform thickness from edge to middle.
Overall I really liked the crust texture and would rate my cook at  8-9 / 10. I am no expert however.
I have to say that I liked the flour and look forward to using again with minor adjustments in recipe. I may even mix 50/50 with the Caputo Pizzeria flour, still undecided?

Mark

« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 12:14:45 PM by mkevenson »

Offline foodiebuddha

• I Love Pizza!
    • Foodie Buddha - Not Any New Content
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 04:55:09 PM »
Yesterday I baked 2 pies in my home oven using Central Milling's Tony Gemignani artisan 00 flour. This flour is malted and designed to use in an oven at temps of 500F - 600F. My oven has a max temp setting of 550F and has induction baking and roasting. My oven set up was 2 pizza stones , one about 6-8 inches from top broiler and one on the second lowest rack from the bottom. I pre heated the oven at max convection temp of 550F for > 1 hr. !st pie was started on top stone after turning the broiler on HI and moved to lower stone after 2 min. total cook time for both pies was 4 1/2 min. Second pie was started on bottom stone at 550F and moved to top stone after 2 1/2 min with broiler on high.

Good stuff mark - i'm just a few months into my serious pizza workings and look forward to seeing how much better i can get with info like this from others on here.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/foodiebuddha/

Setup 1 - Breville Pizzaiolo - BPZ820
Setup 2 - Miele Gas w. 1/2" baking steel
Setup 3 - Ooni Gen 1

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 09:57:05 AM »
Love the journey, " respect the craft"

Mark