A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Direct fit baking steel for the Ooni K16  (Read 2155 times)

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
Re: Direct fit baking steel for the Ooni K16
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2021, 07:54:12 PM »
Thanks,  and yes,  if you get the steel too hot, not only will it burn, the pie will stick to the stone like glue. 

Offline VO5

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2021, 08:46:59 PM »
I scorched one going straight on the steel tonight. It just wasnít quite set enough to turn. It was still good 😂
Al Buie

Offline VO5

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2021, 08:59:52 PM »
I didnít show the burned pieces. They looked black as soot.
Al Buie

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2021, 07:05:33 AM »
So that is one of the issues with the stock floor, and running full blast.  The temp difference between the front right and rear left was so great, the rear left would start to get pretty dark before I was sure the front right was done enough to turn.   The problem was much less if you cooked at a NY temp,  or if you made a smaller pie -  I have seen many that were around 12 to 13 inches that came out fine, but as the pie got bigger, it was tougher to handle the temp difference -  and one thought was that steel, plus Don's nails in some of the openings in the burner at rear left could minimize that problem. 

Offline VO5

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2021, 08:11:07 AM »
Thanks, Barry.I saw the nail trick and I might have to try that. I might try slipping a piece of parchment under it and then let it cook with the burner off until it sets like in the "low and slow" Ooni video. Then I could pull the parchment and light it again. I also dumped too much AP/semolina in the back when I launched. Will probably try again Sunday after the rain gets past.
Al Buie

Offline VO5

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2021, 11:55:01 AM »
Aftermath of last nightís burn. Can you tell where the hot zone is?😂 It completely vaporized the nice flaxseed seasoning that the fellow I bought it from applied.
Al Buie

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2021, 07:01:53 PM »
Yes,  once you get much past 600 it will burn off seasoning.  I actually used that to my advantage a few weeks ago, bought a vintage cast iron pan that I needed to reseason,  threw it in the Ooni on high for a little while, and was able to use a wire brush to easily brush off the old seasoning.

Offline morrissey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 11:49:28 PM »
If the seasoning is constantly burning off at 600F, won't there be continuous Sticking problems?

Barry, didn;t you try a round steel with poor results? Do you think you just had the wrong temp compared to the successful posts  on this thread?

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2021, 06:58:13 AM »
No ,   I have not tried a steel,  I used the stock floor, and had some issues ,  in part because I am not very good with a peel, and in part due to the high difference in temp between the rear left corner and the front.  I  then converted to a rotating stone  a 16 inch Cast Elegance  and it has worked okay, but there is less clearance in the Ooni then my BS, and I have had a few issues loading a pie exactly centered on the stone, and am thinking of other alternatives.  By exactly centered, I mean, on one occasion, the part of the pie went off the back end of the stone by an inch or so - that was not pretty,  and a few times, the front of the pie is a inch or so short of the stone -  which can be fixed with pushing of the peel, but still is a little awkward.   

Offline VO5

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2021, 01:01:24 PM »
The first one I did on the screen did pretty well, I just didnít leave it quite long enough after I pulled the screen. Used these to spin it around on the screen.
Al Buie