A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cold Proofing Dough  (Read 804 times)

Offline Rcogburn29

• I Love Pizza!
Cold Proofing Dough
« on: March 19, 2021, 03:49:01 PM »
So I have perfected the dough recipe I like. I do have a question. I have always used cold proofing for the dough. 24 hours in advance. Won't go back. I use a plastic proofing box when it comes to cold proofing. I have always been under the impression that I have to oil the dough balls up before I put them in the box to go into the fridge. The result is within 12 hours, I get good dough, but it's flat and hasn't risen like I want it to and doesn't have the perfect dough ball shape. It just expands out merging with the other dough balls. Is it because the oil in the plastic? I find myself having to reform the balls 9 hours in advance before cooking, meaning I let them sit out 2 to 3 hours before I cook. don't get me wrong. The taste of the crust is still wonderful and cooks the way I want it too. Does the shape of the dough ball really matter? I may be overthinking this. If I am let me know. I just have this thought about the shape of how a perfect dough ball should look before I start to shape it into a crust. Can I use flour instead to cold proof it.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
Re: Cold Proofing Dough
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 06:51:54 PM »
You are :)   spread out is,what happens..and the amount is related to hydration.  You're good to go.

Offline Shroom

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:28 PM »
what type of yeast do you use? size of the dough balls? finished dough temp?  how many in a tray?

12 hrs in the fridge and the dough is merging together doesn't sound right

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:32:18 AM »
Can we see photos of various stages and finished pies?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 07:51:26 AM »
I stopped putting oil on the dough balls for the same reason. No oil = no flattening.

Tom always recommended oiling the dough ball when using a plastic bag to proof in, that works very well.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 11:08:22 AM »
I stopped putting oil on the dough balls for the same reason. No oil = no flattening.

How do you keep them from forming a skin if you don't oil them?
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline JAG

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 11:54:01 AM »
FWIW I do a 3 day CF with my wood fired dough, no oil but yet it doesn't form that dry outer crust. I don't know why for sure and fortunately I haven't had to battle that issue. Do you leave the dough exposed in the fridge to assist in cooling from RT at first, as in the cross-stack method.

Possible explanation is I do not open the tray to assist cooling, and no skin forms.

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
    • Roberts Machinery
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 05:28:55 PM »
I went to a Breville seminar the provided dough balls for all of us to make our own pizzas.  The course was in the basement of one of only a half dozen certified "Vera Pizza" restaurants in Canada and they proudly displayed the award.  They brought the dough balls down from the restaurant upstairs.  They had all flattened to about 5" in diameter and maybe 3/4" thick.  I wish I had noted whether they had oiled them but I did not. 
I think if a restaurant with the Italian certification for true Napolitano pizza is OK with flattened dough balls then we should not be concerned.
Brent

wordpress