A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 270216 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #940 on: September 20, 2019, 04:37:03 PM »
Trillium brews a LOT of fantastic beers.  You can actually get trillium at my pizzeria to wash down your pizza if your interested.  Also, right next to me is a bar with an incrredible craft beer collection called The Publick House (brookline) thats definitely worth checking out.   Im a huge fan of Treehouse Brewing as well and if you go there you HAVE to get the brisket at BT's smokehouse.  They are both off of a Mass Pike exit.  Treehouse is only available on site or for take out on site.   Been loving their "Julius" quite a bit lately.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #941 on: September 20, 2019, 06:33:44 PM »
Here are links to my reviews of 2 places in CT. (I'll caution that the 2nd one wasn't quite as good when I went a second time.)

Hope Pizza - Stamford
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.msg510074#msg510074

New England Pizza - Vernon
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.msg534855#msg534855

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #942 on: December 03, 2019, 08:35:33 PM »
Barstool One Bite review of Tommy's in Providence, RI.

Just from seeing the thumbnail it looked right in my wheelhouse.

Matt

Offline Bigpoppa34

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #943 on: December 04, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
@hammettjr I have been looking for over a year for a recipe for Greek style pizza as that is what my wife and I grew up with in Southeastern CT and what she had at college in New Hampshire.

I used your recipe and she absolutely loved it. Itís why Iíve spent the last year working on my pizza game so we could finally have this style. Sheís not the biggest fan of New Haven style (I know, I know)

My mother in law then came the next day and had the leftovers and asked where we ordered the pizza from and when I told her I made it she said it was absolutely delicious.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the pictures and recipes.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:42:24 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #944 on: December 04, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »

I used your recipe and she absolutely loved it. Itís why Iíve spent the last year working on my pizza game so we could finally have this style.

Great to hear, I'm glad my posts helped!

There are no Greek pizzerias near you now? Are any of the places you and your wife grew up with still around? I'm always looking for more places to try if you have any recommendations.

I hope you post some more soon. I found that once my pizza became pretty good, I was drawn much deeper into this hobby  :chef:

Matt

Offline Bigpoppa34

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #945 on: December 04, 2019, 06:12:30 PM »
Great to hear, I'm glad my posts helped!

There are no Greek pizzerias near you now? Are any of the places you and your wife grew up with still around? I'm always looking for more places to try if you have any recommendations.

I hope you post some more soon. I found that once my pizza became pretty good, I was drawn much deeper into this hobby  :chef:
We live in the New Haven area now and the only place we have come across is Pizza House on Howe St. Its downtown and thereís little to no parking. Pizza was pretty good though but not enough to make me want to go into downtown New Haven lol.

Yes in Groton, CT we both really like Pizza Today and her favorite place is Athens Pizza in Keene, NH.

Offline SHB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #946 on: March 03, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »
Here is my attempt at greek style pizza, the stuff I grew up on in VT rather than the bar pies seen mainly throughout this thread. Special thanks to @hammettjr for answering my PM's!

Not seen but I think one of the defining pieces of this pizza is the sauce. I used Pomi strained, tomato paste until consistency was right, lots of oregano and pepper, little bit of powdered garlic and onion, salt. Sauce was just how I remember.

Two different pies here but the only difference being cheese, I used a 50/50 blend of mozz and mild white cheddar. One pie using low quality deli sliced mozz the other is fresh low moisture but not deli low moisture mozz (if you know what I mean).

Dough:
AP Flour 100
Water 60
Oil 6
Sugar 2
Salt 2
Yeast .5

.095-.0975 TF

2 day CF, stretch into pan and give it another 30-45 minute pan proof. Heavily oiled pan. I think the bake time was around 12 minutes, oven on max, pan thrown on a pizza steel.

Thanks to all for posting your techniques and recipes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:42:11 PM by SHB »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #947 on: March 03, 2020, 05:40:38 PM »

That's some beautiful pizza man.... way to go SHB!!   :chef::drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #948 on: March 05, 2020, 12:24:52 PM »
Looks great! What'd you think of the cheddar?
Matt

Offline SHB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #949 on: March 05, 2020, 05:23:57 PM »
I grew up on VT cabot cheddar so my definition of mild is sharper than most. It was a little difficult to find a cheddar mild enough for the pizza but turned out well. I went 50/50 mozz/cheddar and though it was about right.

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #950 on: April 30, 2020, 08:05:02 PM »
Been a while and was craving some Greek pizza!!  I used the same dough formula as in the past but with a smaller TF at .09, down from .105.  Next time will do .095 to compare and decide.  I made the dough and immediately pressed it into the pan which was greased with crisco.  2 day CF in fridge then 3-4 hours on counter before baking.  I go edge to edge with cheese which is a little different from the style but we like the crispy burned cheese edges like a Detroit style.  14Ē Lloyd Pan so a 13.3Ē Greek pizza.  Donít forget the party cut!

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #951 on: May 01, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »
Nailed it Nicu!!!
Matt

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #952 on: June 06, 2020, 10:28:59 AM »
On the Wikipedia page for Greek-style pizza. They have a photo that looks more like midwestern-style thin crust to me: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_pizza.  Weird!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #953 on: June 06, 2020, 12:40:50 PM »
yes, bad picture!

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #954 on: June 20, 2020, 11:14:07 AM »
Here is my Greek pub pizzas. I have to thank Matt as I based these is on his recipe in post 927 (https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.msg576067#msg576067) (Thanks!).

First time trying this recipe and my new cutter pans - and it really worked great.

I did two pizzas, each baked in a pan atop a stone, at same time.

Using ghee worked great in the pan; loved that idea.

Definitely adding this to my repertoire.   :pizza:

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #955 on: June 20, 2020, 02:58:16 PM »
Nice job, looks great! Glad it worked for you  :chef:

Matt

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #956 on: June 23, 2020, 10:27:43 AM »
Here is a couple more I made.
The lower one (in the oven) is kind of a tomato pie. And top one just some fresh tomatoes and cheddar/mozz.

Offline DannyG

« Reply #957 on: June 23, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »

- dough out at 4:00pm, stretched into pan at 5:15, topped at 6:40

hammettjr, would you clairify your timing for me? Does "dough out at 4:00pm" mean that is when you are done mixing it? If so you are resting for 1:15 hrs, stretching it into a pan, resting for about 1-1/2 hours before baking? This doesn't seem like much time between mixing and baking. I'm so use to doing a 2-day CF for my NY pies.

I grew up in SE Connecticut and Greek pizza was all I knew. It has such a distinct flavor and I have yet to get it right but it looks like you are on the right track. I'm looking forward to trying your process.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #958 on: June 24, 2020, 06:23:29 PM »

- dough out at 4:00pm, stretched into pan at 5:15, topped at 6:40

hammettjr, would you clairify your timing for me? Does "dough out at 4:00pm" mean that is when you are done mixing it? If so you are resting for 1:15 hrs, stretching it into a pan, resting for about 1-1/2 hours before baking? This doesn't seem like much time between mixing and baking. I'm so use to doing a 2-day CF for my NY pies.

I grew up in SE Connecticut and Greek pizza was all I knew. It has such a distinct flavor and I have yet to get it right but it looks like you are on the right track. I'm looking forward to trying your process.

Hey, no, I meant dough out of the fridge after a 1 or 2 day CF. Last pie I made I stretched shortly after taking it out if the fridge, then let it rise in the pan a bit.

My baked crust is still a work in progress, but I'm really happy with the sauce and cheese I use.

I look forward to seeing your results. Also, any recommendations of Greek pizzerias in CT?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 06:25:16 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #959 on: June 28, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
More of the same for me here. I am seeing there is a fine line between overcooking (crust too dry) and under-cooking (crust too soft, lacking crispness) and I am trying to find the sweet-spot. Cooking it in a pan is tougher to gauge for me, so might try to start timing the bakes to gauge an optimal bake time. These turned out a bit under-cooked - maybe needed another 2-3 minutes....

I also notice this pizza reheats easily and well on the oven racks, even crispy  - so that's a nice plus of this recipe too.

:chef:

wordpress