A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 208874 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #680 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »
Jordan's - Norwalk, CT. How much cheese do you think is on this 16" pie?

Matt

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #681 on: September 20, 2017, 04:42:21 AM »
I can see some sauce through the cheese, so I'll say 1/2 lb.
--pat--

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #682 on: September 20, 2017, 07:00:56 AM »
I can see some sauce through the cheese, so I'll say 1/2 lb.

I'm way different. My last pie I increased from 12oz to 14oz and commented I had "way too little cheese". Was thinking of trying a full pound! I may be going overboard, but maybe not. I don't really see sauce coming through. I see it coming from under the cheese where it's sliced. (I'm ignoring the triangle on the bottom left, which looks like an accident.)

I like the looks of the pie earlier from Nicu2001, which I've reposted below. The uncooked pie looks like it has alot of cheese.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.msg495941#msg495941

Nicu2001, do you remember how much cheese you used for that pie and the pan size?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:12:09 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
« Reply #683 on: September 20, 2017, 07:50:23 AM »
What I'm seeing might be brown marks.  But just looking at the top of a pizza, it's impossible to know how thick the cheese is.  Like looking at the surface of a lake and asking how deep it is.
--pat--

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #684 on: September 20, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »
Nicu2001, do you remember how much cheese you used for that pie and the pan size?

The pan is a Lloyd 8x10 Detroit in the picture above.  I believe I used 8oz of cheese on this one.  3oz Cheddar 5oz Grande 50/50.  When I do not have the Grande 50/50 I use 50% Cheddar 50% Whole Milk Mozzarella but may tweak that to go heavier on the Cheddar.  Most NYC locals who try the New England Greek style comment on how great the cheese flavor is.  Cheddar is the secret!!

Speaking of Cheddar, I have had success with a few different brands.  The Cabot 3 Year that is sold at Costco has been very good but may be a bit sharp for some.  Lately due to convenience and flavor I have been getting the FreshDirect branded Cheddar which is re-branded Grafton Village aged 1 year.  Not cheap but very good.  For those not in the NYC area, it can be purchased online from Murray's, but they are charging over $20/lb for it so prob does not make sense.

http://www.murrayscheese.com/grafton-village-1-year-aged-cheddar.html

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #685 on: September 20, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
What I'm seeing might be brown marks.  But just looking at the top of a pizza, it's impossible to know how thick the cheese is.  Like looking at the surface of a lake and asking how deep it is.

Fair enough  :chef:

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #686 on: September 20, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
The pan is a Lloyd 8x10 Detroit in the picture above.  I believe I used 8oz of cheese on this one.  3oz Cheddar 5oz Grande 50/50.  When I do not have the Grande 50/50 I use 50% Cheddar 50% Whole Milk Mozzarella but may tweak that to go heavier on the Cheddar.  Most NYC locals who try the New England Greek style comment on how great the cheese flavor is.  Cheddar is the secret!!

Speaking of Cheddar, I have had success with a few different brands.  The Cabot 3 Year that is sold at Costco has been very good but may be a bit sharp for some.  Lately due to convenience and flavor I have been getting the FreshDirect branded Cheddar which is re-branded Grafton Village aged 1 year.  Not cheap but very good.  For those not in the NYC area, it can be purchased online from Murray's, but they are charging over $20/lb for it so prob does not make sense.

http://www.murrayscheese.com/grafton-village-1-year-aged-cheddar.html

Thanks! So 8oz for 80 square inches. If I make a 16" pie with a 1" ring of rim and sauce, my radius is 7", making my surface area 1.92 times yours. This equates to 15.4oz of cheese. I'm going to give 16oz a try this weekend. I have the Cracker Barrel Vermont sharp white that Norma recommended ready to go. Given it should be more mild than the Cabots I've been using, I'll increase the amount to 50%. Haven't decided on a bake temp yet, but will likely inceease it a bit towards 500.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #687 on: September 23, 2017, 08:06:53 PM »
I made a bunch of changes that worked out well. Very tasty pie.

The new cheese was awesome. Crust thickness great.

TF = 0.10 (reduced from 0.105)
Sauce was 100% 7/11, seasoned like my NY pies. About 1 tbs less than a cup used.
3 tsp parm on top of the sauce
16oz cheese for the 16'' pie
50% mozz/50% cheddar
The cheddar was Cracker Barrel Vermont Sharp White
450 degrees, 15:30 bake, pan directly on the 3rd rack

Areas for improvement:
The sauce was a bit bright. I seem to recall a bit darker, heavier sauce. I can try Sclafani Crushed next time
Greasiness - it wasn't over the line, but it was heading towards it, and I probably would have been ok with a little less grease. The bigger issue was the grease got on the serving tray and under the crust.
More cheese browning would have been good. It really adds a nice flavor.
Not really an issue, but I was surprised to see divots in the cheese. The 16oz was grated with my potato grater.
I'm still having issues with parts of the dough lifting from the pan and remaining white.

I don't think I want to increase bake time from 15:30, so if I want more cheese browning I'll need to increase temp. But will a higher temp create more grease?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:55:09 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #688 on: September 23, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »
Very good looking Greek style pizza Matt!  :drool:

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #689 on: September 23, 2017, 09:53:18 PM »
Very good looking Greek style pizza Matt!  :drool:

Norma

Thank you Norma! Great call regarding Cracker Barrel, it worked very nicely
Matt

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #690 on: September 23, 2017, 10:34:25 PM »
This looks fantastic. As close as I’ve seen!!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #691 on: September 24, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
Thanks all. Any thoughts on how to improve would be appreciated.  It was a good pie, but still alot of work to do.

I'm going to try putting the cheddar down first, below the mozz. Maybe it'll oil off less. Cheddar placement was discussed a bit here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49191.0

Here is a pic of my pie pre-bake. The slightly yellow cheese is the cheddar.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:10:41 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #692 on: October 01, 2017, 06:23:21 PM »
Another fun Greek, some nice improvements. I was able to achieve more cheese browning, better bottom bake. Still a bit oily and sauce needs work.

Like last time:
TF = 0.10, 16oz cheese (50/50 mozz/cheddar), 3 tsp parm.

Changes:
Cheddar down first, mozz on top
Temperature increase to 460 (from 450)
Pan moved up to the 2nd rack from top, closer to the electric heating coil at the top of the oven
Sclafani Crushed for sauce. Liked the consistency, but actually seemed a bit tart. Needs more seasoning and maybe some sugar.

I'm going to try adding some low fat cheddar into the mix to reduce the oil.

Matt

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #693 on: October 01, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »
Another fun Greek, some nice improvements. I was able to achieve more cheese browning, better bottom bake. Still a bit oily and sauce needs work.

Like last time:
TF = 0.10, 16oz cheese (50/50 mozz/cheddar), 3 tsp parm.

Changes:
Cheddar down first, mozz on top
Temperature increase to 460 (from 450)
Pan moved up to the 2nd rack from top, closer to the electric heating coil at the top of the oven
Sclafani Crushed for sauce. Liked the consistency, but actually seemed a bit tart. Needs more seasoning and maybe some sugar.

I'm going to try adding some low fat cheddar into the mix to reduce the oil.

Beautiful job!

I am guessing, as I go through the thread that I may find this - can you tell me what kind of pan you are using?  What would you think of a cast iron pan being used- good? disaster?  Thx.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:00:50 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #694 on: October 01, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »
Beautiful job!

I am guessing, as I go through the thread that I may find this - can you tell me what kind of pan you are using?  What would you think of a cast iron pan being used- good? disaster?  Thx.

Thanks Mitch! I'm using the Lloyd non-stick pan pictured below in my new oven placement, not far from the heating coil. It's the only pan I've ever used, but I'd guess a variety of pans would work for this style.

Matt

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #695 on: October 01, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »
Thanks Mitch! I'm using the Lloyd non-stick pan pictured below in my new oven placement, not far from the heating coil. It's the only pan I've ever used, but I'd guess a variety of pans would work for this style.

Thanks.

Your pizzas really look so good - makes me think I may have to cough up the bucks (I have been avoiding the Lloyd's pans because they are $$$, but I know they are great quality) for a pan or two. 
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #696 on: October 01, 2017, 09:40:38 PM »
Wow that looks awesome

Offline nicu2001

« Reply #697 on: October 02, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
Made Greek last night at .10 TF per the above and like it better than .11. This dough also went 4 days in the fridge which I think made it easier to stretch to the 13” pan without too much pullback. HG flour was good but may try bread next to compare.  Didn’t do a rim as my house loves the crispy fried cheese around the edge like a thicker detroit style.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #698 on: October 02, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
Made Greek last night...

Wow, that looks awesome!!
Matt

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
« Reply #699 on: October 02, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
I have GOT to stop reading this forum before lunch.  After seeing those photos, I'm famished and that tuna sandwich just isn't going to cut it.

Inspiring work, Nicu.
--pat--