A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY style at 600F+ in a wood fired oven  (Read 1409 times)

Online wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
Re: NY style at 600F+ in a wood fired oven
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2021, 04:30:18 PM »
Cool test!

Did you happen to note the respective floor temps for each bake, or how long it took to get the oven to a higher temp after the first bake?
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline markpenacho

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2021, 05:26:11 PM »
I got up super early, as I normally do on pizza day, and started up the oven.  I ran it for about 3 hours, using oak that I had re-split down to about 1-3" thickness, and then only if they felt light (as in dry).  Kept the fire small, starting in the center and working my way over to the side, over the course of those three hours.  After about three hours, my wife was still sleeping (like I said, I get up early...), so I let it burn down.  The floor was in the 475 range when she woke up, so I started a small fire back up, and moved the hot coals over the floor of the oven, to warm it up while I went back in the house to make the pizzas. 

About a half hour later I pushed the coals back to the side, and started up the first pizza.  The fire was barely burning during the first pizza.  I turned it at around 2:30, but it didn't really need to turn, as it was cooking pretty evenly.  In my haste to bring the pizza from the house to the oven, I didn't bring my ir thermometer with me.  My bottom came out fine, but didn't quite have the coloring yours did, so I'm thinking my floor was not quite as hot as yours.

I only heated the oven for probably 15 minutes between pizza #1 and pizza #2.  While I'm sure the temperature was a bit higher, including the floor (as the bottom had more spotting), the big difference is that #2 had  quite a bit of radiant heat; the fire was very active and rolling across the top of the oven during pizza #2.

Offline Dasnyde4

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2021, 12:30:17 PM »
These look amazing.  Are you using WW and Spelt for taste or for it's impact in the High Heat.  Been debating trying to add some WW to my New York's and was curious on it's impact.

Online wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
I got up super early, as I normally do on pizza day, and started up the oven.  I ran it for about 3 hours, using oak that I had re-split down to about 1-3" thickness, and then only if they felt light (as in dry).  Kept the fire small, starting in the center and working my way over to the side, over the course of those three hours.  After about three hours, my wife was still sleeping (like I said, I get up early...), so I let it burn down.  The floor was in the 475 range when she woke up, so I started a small fire back up, and moved the hot coals over the floor of the oven, to warm it up while I went back in the house to make the pizzas. 

About a half hour later I pushed the coals back to the side, and started up the first pizza.  The fire was barely burning during the first pizza.  I turned it at around 2:30, but it didn't really need to turn, as it was cooking pretty evenly.  In my haste to bring the pizza from the house to the oven, I didn't bring my ir thermometer with me.  My bottom came out fine, but didn't quite have the coloring yours did, so I'm thinking my floor was not quite as hot as yours.

I only heated the oven for probably 15 minutes between pizza #1 and pizza #2.  While I'm sure the temperature was a bit higher, including the floor (as the bottom had more spotting), the big difference is that #2 had  quite a bit of radiant heat; the fire was very active and rolling across the top of the oven during pizza #2.

Thanks a bunch for sharing these notes, I hope they’re helpful to others who are starting out with trying to maintain a steady mid level temp with a live fire.

Online wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 11:30:27 AM »
These look amazing.  Are you using WW and Spelt for taste or for it's impact in the High Heat.  Been debating trying to add some WW to my New York's and was curious on it's impact.

I just use these as a shortcut to some flavor, and I like playing with the aromas of doughs made with flour blends so I often spike dough with 10% of this or that, turn this one up or down a notch, etc. 5-8% WW gives a nice touch to handling, as well, or maybe I imagine it  :-D

A D V E R T I S E M E N T