A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: penne Arrabiata sauce help needed  (Read 367 times)

Offline russellbeckwith

• I Love Pizza!
penne Arrabiata sauce help needed
« on: July 23, 2021, 09:05:13 AM »
Hi all,

So i have been an absolute love of the Arrabiata sauce for years and have tried many many times to cook it.

Now if there are any Italians on here i'm sure you will know where im coming from here.

There is a certain taste to the sauce that i cannot replicate and many restaurants ;D cannot either but i cant pin point what it is.

Any legendary cooks on here that can finally help me it would be appreciated.

The restaurant that does it best is Scalinis in Knightsbridge in the UK.

Thanks all i know its a random question.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: penne Arrabiata sauce help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 05:23:04 PM »
It should have some oil, chopped Calabrian chilis (or dried chili flakes if you have nothing else) and perhaps some garlic.  When you heat up the oil, put a clove of garlic on a fork and swish it around while the oil comes to temperature.  Don't add any garlic chunks to the sauce, unless you need to kill Dracula.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Cogs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 08:20:51 PM »
Grapeseed Oil.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 09:32:38 AM »
I'm definitely not a legendary cook, but have had a lot of success with the simple recipe Mario Batali shared with the NYT:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015236-penne-allarrabbiata

I like to sub Calabrian chili paste for the red pepper flakes but the recipe as written is great. Five stars with > 1300 ratings on the NYT site and believe me, NYT recipe raters are a knowledgeable/picky lot. Not sure if the recipe sits behind their paywall, I've copied it below.

enjoy!

3  tablespoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 4 more tablespoons
Ĺ cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon hot red-pepper flakes
1 Ĺ cups chopped tomatoes, like Pomž
1 pound penne
 Maldon or other flaky sea salt
 Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving

step 1:
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, and add 3 tablespoons kosher salt.

step 2:
Meanwhile, put 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large sautť pan over medium heat, and then add the tomato paste and pepper flakes; reduce the heat to low and stir just until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and remove from the heat.

step 3:
Drop the pasta into the boiling water, and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.

step 4:
Add the pasta and the reserved pasta water to the tomato sauce, stir and toss over medium heat until the pasta is well coated. Season with salt if necessary, then add the remaining oil, tossing well. Serve immediately, with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano on the side.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 09:34:49 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 10:30:56 AM »
Also not a legendary cook, but I would say the most important key to this dish is using a quality tomato product and not overcooking the sauce to death.  Simmer for about 15 minutes to preserve the zestiness of the tomatoes.  Other pointers: buy  "pasta trafilata al bronzo", ie. pasta that is extruded through a bronze die, which will hold onto the sauce better than pasta extruded through teflon.  As mentioned in QD's post above, it's important to finish cooking the pasta to the correct degree of doneness IN THE SAUCE.  This will always yield a far superior result.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 11:10:14 AM »
^ good call on the bronze die pasta rolls, we've been using raos, wegmans also has some interesting house brand pasta.
jeff

Offline russellbeckwith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »
Wow didnt expect such great responce i will try all methods.
ty very much  ;D

Offline SammyMeatballs

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 06:38:47 PM »
Mom never made it growing up so it wasn't in my repertoire. I go by the Vincenzo's Plate recipe on Youtube. It's exceptional.

Offline BinATX

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 10:07:44 PM »
Mom never made it growing up so it wasn't in my repertoire. I go by the Vincenzo's Plate recipe on Youtube. It's exceptional.

Not my thread, but I want to thank you Sammy for sharing the Vincenzoís Plate recommendation. My family never made it either. I grew up with Italian food, but it was all Sicilian / Sicilian-American. Iíve thought about attempting arrabbiata before, and tonight I finally did.

I donít ever feel like just pasta with sauce anymore so I used Vincenzoís recipe as a basic guide or foundation. Purists look away. Hereís what I did:
- Made the sauce from fresh Roma tomatoes instead of whole peeled.
- Didnít have time to search out the Busiati Trapanesi. Found some trofie (bronze cut as Rolls suggested). Not using penne is the reason I was intrigued by Vincenzoís recipe.
- Roasted garlic / garlic oil in place of fresh.
- Mixed the sauce with Calabrian peppers, olives, pine nuts, roasted cauliflower, sun dried tomatoes, and parsley.
- I skipped the basil. As much as I love it, I believe there are times it can be out of sync with everything thing else and overpower the dish. Maybe Iíll try it in the future to check.
- Mixed in Parmesan, and finished each bowl with more cheese and parsley.

I will make this again soon. Iíll up the amount of peppers as they werenít as spicy as expected in the finished product.

Thank you again. I apologize for the long response that isnít an answer to the original question of the thread.

B