A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago-thin on an Ooni Fyra?  (Read 466 times)

Offline Ed LaCrosse

• I Love Pizza!
Chicago-thin on an Ooni Fyra?
« on: April 14, 2022, 05:41:54 PM »
Hi all,

I've overcome the greasy pizza issue I posted about here a little while back and I'm starting to get to a pizza that's at least reminiscent -- to me anyway -- of Aurelio's.  Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions about the grease problem.  I've been using CMC's recipe lately as a baseline for my own tinkering, primarily with toppings and cheese blends.  I'm grateful for the knowledge and experience of all the experts here!

I'd like to use my Ooni Fyra to cook one of these pies and I'm wondering if I need to be worried about cooking the sausage on the pie.  The Ooni people tell me that it cooks the pie too fast to completely cook the sausage, so I ought to pre-cook the sausage if I'm going to use the Ooni.  I really want to avoid that. 

Before I try, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any experience or suggestions about cooking sausage on the pie with an Ooni.

I guess my question applies to any thin-crust pizza where the sausage is cooked on the pie, but since that seems to be a hallmark of the Chicago-thin style, I thought I'd post it in this forum.

Thanks for any help.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Chicago-thin on an Ooni Fyra?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 07:56:45 PM »
Hi Ed,
I"m not familiar with your oven but there are at least a couple of bakers here (really good ones) who have discussed this for bake times of under 2 minutes. They break the sausage into relatively small pieces, which would help them to cook faster.

You might have an easier time finding comments on this by searching the Neapolitan section of the forum. I seem to recall a short discussion on it in the daily pizza thread under General. Try searching with your keywords under usernames TxCraig1 and HansB (separately). Otherwise, you can try it once or twice yourself and proceed cautiously.  :)

-Tony

Offline Ed LaCrosse

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 12:15:39 PM »
Hi Ed,
I"m not familiar with your oven but there are at least a couple of bakers here (really good ones) who have discussed this for bake times of under 2 minutes. They break the sausage into relatively small pieces, which would help them to cook faster.

You might have an easier time finding comments on this by searching the Neapolitan section of the forum. I seem to recall a short discussion on it in the daily pizza thread under General. Try searching with your keywords under usernames TxCraig1 and HansB (separately). Otherwise, you can try it once or twice yourself and proceed cautiously.  :)

Hi Tony,

I tried, but I couldn't find the posts you referenced, so I went ahead and tried it myself. The results were good.

I adapted CMC's Aurelio's clone recipe to a 12 inch pie.  I used dime-sized pinches of sausage -- probably about a quarter pound total -- far less than the 14 inch recipe calls for.  I fired up my Fyra and heated the stone up to about 950 degrees, then launched the pie.  I immediately closed the chimney vent so that it was opened a little less than half way.  The idea behind that was to give the crust a chance to cook before the toppings got burned. 

The toppings and crust were done in less than 5 minutes, and the sausage was cooked perfectly, with good sausage flavor in the pie.

I used semolina flour on the bottom of the crust to faciliate launching the pie, and I used too much.  The result was the semolina burned and imparted a bitter taste to the crust.  It wasn't terrible, but I need to use less of the semolina or something else (corn meal?) to facilitate launching the pie without burning.

I also struggled to turn the pie right away after launching it, resulting in slightly burned edges on the side of the pie that was initially closest to the fire.  I need to figure out how to do that better next time too.

But, using dime-sized pinches of sausage and the partial closure of the chimney vent resulted in fully-cooked sausage and good sausage flavor on the pie.

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 06:59:29 AM »
Good to hear, Ed. Keep tinkering and keep track of what works, what doesnít, and most importantly how to repeat things you like.

I donít know how it works at neo temperatures but many people here are using rice flour on the peel. It takes less of it and it does not burn as easily. I sometimes mix a small amount of rice flour and a small amount of semolina and dust the peel as lightly as I can with it. I am currently using a screen for many of my bakes, so nothing on the peel at all. Not a good neo solution, I know.
-Tony

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress