A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Recipe Differences (Yeast)  (Read 668 times)

Offline DTaylor

• I Love Pizza!
Recipe Differences (Yeast)
« on: August 16, 2022, 10:12:04 PM »
Hello everyone -
My regular (Neapolitan-ish) direct dough recipe originally came from a Youtube video by All Things BBQ. I've always had good results from it. But I've been comparing it to the numbers the PizzApp spits out, and the yeast is a very different quantity.
My current recipe (for six 250g dough balls) is: 1kg 00 flour, 650g H2O, 10g ADY, 15g sea salt. I dissolve the ADY in water, then mix with the flour, then add the sea salt. Mix for 9 minutes at low speed, then proof in our oven for 2 hours at 86˚F (doubling in size). The dough is portioned and refrigerated for >24 hours at 36˚F.
I remove the dough 30-60 minutes before stretching and baking in our Gozney Dome. Works well.
When I replicate the method in the PizzApp, the ingredient measurements are very similar, except for the ADY. It calls for 1.13g of ADY, about 1/10th of my original recipe.
I know there are a lot of factors to consider - but which amount of ADY sounds more reasonable to you? Have I been overdoing it in the past, or would the PizzApp amount be far too little? Thanks!

Offline DTaylor

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Recipe Differences (Yeast)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 10:35:16 PM »
I may have solved this variable myself... but I'd still love to hear anyone else's take on it. In the original recipe, there is no 24 hour CF. They recommended you proof your dough till doubled in size, portion the dough balls, cover and refrigerate for only 30 minutes, then stretch to bake.
I'm guessing the original recipe author is making up for the lack of a decent CF by increasing the amount of yeast to get more rise. If I extend the period in the fridge, I shouldn't need nearly as much yeast - correct?
Thanks again!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 12:53:38 AM »
Yes, that's right. Except for last minute/emergency dough, many if not most members here go for either a long cold ferment CF, or an extended room temperature ferment RT.
TXCraig developed a very helpful time/temperature yeast chart. Bakers yeast predictive model.  The search bar at upper right should help you get to that thread

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 07:34:27 AM »
Yes, that's right. Except for last minute/emergency dough, many if not most members here go for either a long cold ferment CF, or an extended room temperature ferment RT.
TXCraig developed a very helpful time/temperature yeast chart. Bakers yeast predictive model.  The search bar at upper right should help you get to that thread
^^^  For Neapolitan, many are using room temp ferment entirely. All the more reason to use the lower amount of yeast (which is still 0.11% yeast). Depending on how long you will hold at room temp, you may be able to go even lower on yeast. I have no doubt both recipes worked. I bet the one with lower yeast was easier to work with and performed and tasted better - or will if you change to RTF only for 24 hours or more.
-Tony
The Woodstone coal oven retails for 84,000 (Mark Polo, Jul 2011)
WoodStone is quite expensive. (pizzablogger, Jul 2011)

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 02:48:32 PM »
Yeah, it's probably about speed.

Also, it turns out that just putting too much yeast in bread makes people believe the flavor is "artisinal"
Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

Offline DTaylor

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »
Yeah, it's probably about speed.

Also, it turns out that just putting too much yeast in bread makes people believe the flavor is "artisinal"

I think you just gave me the title of "Artisan"!
Is there a plaque involved? :D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 12:33:34 PM »
Is there a plaque involved? :D

Only if you don't brush.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 01:34:51 PM »

Too much yeast just makes for bad tasting bread. A good or "Artisan" bread should not taste of yeast at all...
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline BGPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 12:09:04 AM »
I am also trying to figure this out. Just this past weekend I made 12 pizzas. My wife and I just moved our 1st born into a college dorm and spent the weekend with the family. I wanted to impress everyone with my new found pizza genius lol. So I brought everything I had, high protein flour, IDY, pizza stone and all the tools. I had the plan to make my normal recipe(x2) of 30 ounces of flour to 1 pack of IDY (instant dry yeast, 1/4 oz) 24 hours before making the pizzas. Well I learned a big lesson. By the time I was ready to get the dough out of the fridge it had more than doubled. In fact it had flattened and needed re-balling. I didn't have enough time to re-ball so I just went with it. It was still good but lost a lot of extensibility (I think. Really not sure what extensibility is) but everyone liked it. I guess what I learned was that if you plan to make pizza 24 hours later you need to use less yeast, more salt or a combination of the two. No need to rise doubled in the oven or even at RT (room temperature) just ball it and let it get happy in the fridge. If you want to use it right away do the opposite and use lots of yeast, let it grow (not necessarily doubled), ball it then the fridge for a little while so it can relax. Like I said earlier, I have no idea if this is correct, just going by previous experiments. It sounds good so "I got that going for me" (caddy shack).

wordpress