A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anyone know what cheese New Park Pizzeria uses?  (Read 313 times)

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone know what cheese New Park Pizzeria uses?
« on: July 20, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »
Easily in my top 5 slices in NYC, amazing sauce and cheese. 

I know they cut up mozzarella into pellets, but anyone know what brand?  Made on premises possibly?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:16:56 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Re: Anyone know what cheese New Park Pizzeria uses?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »
Looks almost like dry, fresh mozzarella from Aiello Cheese Company because how white it is near the rim. I've used that mozza before. Good stuff.

I know of at least one Pizzeria here that uses it also.

Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »
Aiello cheese
Mike

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »
One of my favorites too. I like the way they throw salt on the floor of the oven. We ordered this pie well done.

From the look of the cheese, I think the run it through a meat grinder with the coarse plate.

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:27:43 PM »
You can see the ground? cheese here. Pic credit: Norma.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »
It appears they'll give out sides of it if you wanted to taste it uncooked

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »
I always have a hard time deciding whether to stop at park or flushing's Chinatown on the way back from JFK.

Mike, looks like grande, did you load the right picture?
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 11:17:41 PM »
Well, ordered another pie tonight and just amazing.  No seats available super busy, took the box out on the street and ate, hijack ghetto style, burning hot pizza on a hot humid NY evening.  The cheese/sauce ratio is perfection, great cheese stretch, and the sauce is absolutely delicious and very sweet, but not in a bad way.  I asked for some cold cheese on section of the pie it's available as a cold slice order and a new thing I suppose in the summer where some people like uncooked mozzarella as a topping on top of melted cheese. 

The grounds or pellets certainly do not taste like Grande or F&a, nor is it low moisture fresh caprese style mozzarella, it is definitely a whole milk low moisture but none I'm familiar with.  I have no idea what brand the cheese is, even though I've tried many but it has real strong herbaceious cheese notes, almost mild aged white cheddar and tastes like some cheese I remember from long long time ago especially when melted but might have something to do with what's in the sauce, the cheese has a discernible bite too probably from the shape of the cheese pellets.  That copious amount of cheese and that sweet sauce and the perfect soft/chewy/light crisp crust, 10 out of 10.  I'll try it "well done" next time like your pie Craig.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:57:41 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »
Well, ordered another pie tonight and just amazing.  No seats available super busy, took the box out on the street and ate, hijack ghetto style, burning hot pizza on a hot humid NY evening.  The cheese/sauce ratio is perfection, great cheese stretch, and the sauce is absolutely delicious and very sweet, but not in a bad way.  I asked for some cold cheese on section of the pie it's available as a cold slice order and a new thing I suppose in the summer where some people like uncooked mozzarella as a topping on top of melted cheese. 

The grounds or pellets certainly do not taste like Grande or F&a, nor is it low moisture fresh caprese style mozzarella, it is definitely a whole milk low moisture but none I'm familiar with.  I have no idea what brand the cheese is, even though I've tried many but it has real strong herbaceious cheese notes, almost mild aged white cheddar and tastes like some cheese I remember from long long time ago especially when melted, the cheese has a discernible bite too probably from the shape of the cheese pellets.  That copious amount of cheese and that sweet sauce and the perfect soft/chewy/light crisp crust, 10 out of 10.  I'll try it "well done" next time like your pie Craig.

What's the key to getting good cheese stretch? I find it very difficult to get without using fresh mozzarella.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 11:51:30 PM »
What's the key to getting good cheese stretch? I find it very difficult to get without using fresh mozzarella.

Oven and alot of cheese, it's like molten lava.  They use a coal oven of some kind, that looks like a deck.  You can't eat a hot NY pizza for 3-5 minutes out of the oven it will destroy your mouth and I'm sure the oven affects the cheese somehow in some kind of scientific psycho genetic cell biology level.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:00:41 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:31:07 AM »
  I have no idea what brand the cheese is,

Have you asked them?
Hans

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:07:20 AM »
HarryHaller73,

Don't know if you saw the other photos that were taken at New Park, when Paulie Gee ordered the pizzas there.  These are the photos I took. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.msg175832#msg175832

In some of those photos it looks like there might be par-baked pizzas lined up on trays above where the pizza man is opening doughs.

Their oven at New Park has that gas coming out of the big pipe so fast.

Steve's (Ev) photos are at Reply 283 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.msg175893#msg175893 and it looks like there are more par-baked pizzas there.  Again, that crazy flame in their oven. 

Kelly (pizzablogger) timed the bakes and said he saw the pizza maker salt three tosses per salting session at Reply 289 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.msg175917#msg175917  As you can see Craig noticed the one pizza there baked in the 2:54 minute range. 

Other photos at New Park are on that thread.

Norma

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 08:04:52 AM »
What does salting the oven floor do? Flavor? Moisture control?

Harry, did you find that the sweet sauce brought a particular flavor out? I use it now and find it really brightens and sweetens the oregano. I also do mint, which heightens hides in the oregano as well. All is much less when I don't use sugar or at least enough sugar.

Anyone guesstimate the cheese amount?
Embrace the challenge. Do not accept difficult as impossible. Enjoy the journey. Become your own pizza memory.

(Please assume all appropriate genre identification disclaimers as rendered.)

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 08:48:32 AM »
HarryHaller73,

Don't know if you saw the other photos that were taken at New Park, when Paulie Gee ordered the pizzas there.  These are the photos I took. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.msg175832#msg175832

In some of those photos it looks like there might be par-baked pizzas lined up on trays above where the pizza man is opening doughs.

Their oven at New Park has that gas coming out of the big pipe so fast.

Steve's (Ev) photos are at Reply 283 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.msg175893#msg175893 and it looks like there are more par-baked pizzas there.  Again, that crazy flame in their oven. 

Kelly (pizzablogger) timed the bakes and said he saw the pizza maker salt three tosses per salting session at Reply 289 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.msg175917#msg175917  As you can see Craig noticed the one pizza there baked in the 2:54 minute range. 

Other photos at New Park are on that thread.

Norma

Nice pictures Norma, thanks.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 08:57:02 AM »
What does salting the oven floor do? Flavor? Moisture control?

Harry, did you find that the sweet sauce brought a particular flavor out? I use it now and find it really brightens and sweetens the oregano. I also do mint, which heightens hides in the oregano as well. All is much less when I don't use sugar or at least enough sugar.

Anyone guesstimate the cheese amount?

Obviously salt flavor, but maybe to lift it off the floor some to get a certain undercrust bake within the oven, not sure. 

Sauce and cheese quantity very much like other Queens pizzerias being heavier than what you might find in Manhattan or other boroughs.  There is a bite to the layer of cheese and alot of stretch.  I'd guess 14-16oz for an 18". 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:59:22 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 08:58:13 AM »
Have you asked them?

I know never to ask questions like that at old school pizzerias where I don't know anyone.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:04:53 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 01:27:51 PM »
I know never to ask questions like that at old school pizzerias where I don't know anyone.

I found that dumpsters are really bad at keeping secrets  ;D

Once I was trying to figure out what kind of tomatoes a taqueria here used but they had a lock on the dumpster. I happened to be driving by one day when the Sysco truck was delivering their groceries, so I parked as close as I could and watched.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:29:50 PM by TXCraig1 »

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 01:33:46 PM »
I found that dumpsters are really bad at keeping secrets  ;D

Once I was trying to figure out what kind of tomatoes a taqueria here used but they had a lock on the dumpster. I happened to be driving by one day when the Sysco truck was delivering their groceries, so I parked as close as I could and watched.

It's in clear view from inside and enclosed.  I'm afraid anyone who tries to goes in won't be coming out.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:35:31 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 01:39:06 PM »
Might have to do a stake out and wait for the delivery truck.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 01:44:14 PM »
Might have to do a stake out and wait for the delivery truck.

That could take a while! I'd surely blow my cover trying to grab a pie during the reconnaissance  :)

wordpress