A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Brooklyn coal fired pizza?  (Read 413 times)

Offline adamr06

• I Love Pizza!
Brooklyn coal fired pizza?
« on: August 13, 2019, 05:45:06 PM »
Growing up in the suburbs of NYC, I've had a lot of amazing pizza growing up, but I've never been to any Brooklyn pizzerias. At the time, I was perfectly fine with that, as all of my favorite pizzerias were close to my home, and Brooklyn was far from there and off my radar. All of the really good pizza I had in the city, resembled the kind of pizza I would find at my local pizzerias. A good example of this would be Joe's Pizza.

I live in Los Angeles now, and recently had an opportunity to try the Grimaldi's Pizzeria in El Segundo. The waitress was quick to point out that they use a coal fired oven like the original in Brooklyn, and have gone to great lengths to recreate that experience. I have seen pictures of Grimaldi's pizza before, and knew it was different from what I am used to. While I did like the pizza, I wasn't blown away like I thought I would be.

I am wondering if Brooklyn coal fired pizza is a variation of NY pizza I am simply not familiar with, and I need to appreciate it for what it is. That said, having never tried the original Grimaldi's, or any other Brooklyn coal fired pizza, I have no way of knowing how this pizza measures up. Perhaps what I had just wasn't that good.

Offline jsaras

Re: Brooklyn coal fired pizza?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:30:54 PM »
Growing up in the suburbs of NYC, I've had a lot of amazing pizza growing up, but I've never been to any Brooklyn pizzerias. At the time, I was perfectly fine with that, as all of my favorite pizzerias were close to my home, and Brooklyn was far from there and off my radar. All of the really good pizza I had in the city, resembled the kind of pizza I would find at my local pizzerias. A good example of this would be Joe's Pizza.

I live in Los Angeles now, and recently had an opportunity to try the Grimaldi's Pizzeria in El Segundo. The waitress was quick to point out that they use a coal fired oven like the original in Brooklyn, and have gone to great lengths to recreate that experience. I have seen pictures of Grimaldi's pizza before, and knew it was different from what I am used to. While I did like the pizza, I wasn't blown away like I thought I would be.

I am wondering if Brooklyn coal fired pizza is a variation of NY pizza I am simply not familiar with, and I need to appreciate it for what it is. That said, having never tried the original Grimaldi's, or any other Brooklyn coal fired pizza, I have no way of knowing how this pizza measures up. Perhaps what I had just wasn't that good.

Coal fired NYC pizza is a style unto itself.  Itís the Italian-American adaptation of Neapolitan pizza.  Most of my Grimaldiís visits, which include Hoboken (which was the best IMO), LA and several in  Las Vegas were very good. However, my most recent visit a month ago at the Fashion Show in Las Vegas was a disappointment.  The bake times were north of 10 minutes and it just wasnít right.

Whether or nor you got the best example of the style is unknown, but at least you can say you had it.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 11:25:55 PM »
I went to grimaldi's pre-fame, pre-internet, when it was just another Brooklyn pizza place. It was great and quickly became one of our favorites, about a 15-minute walk from our apartment. The slices in your photo don't look anything like the pizza we ate back then. To be fair, we stopped going once the lines started so maybe the pizza has changed.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:51:49 PM »
I don't think that is even close to looking like coal oven pizza... Not at all.  🤔

Frank Pepe....https://images.app.goo.gl/Ze89GGzAekAtLEW38
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:56:07 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline adamr06

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 02:37:43 AM »
Coal fired NYC pizza is a style unto itself.  Itís the Italian-American adaptation of Neapolitan pizza.  Most of my Grimaldiís visits, which include Hoboken (which was the best IMO), LA and several in  Las Vegas were very good. However, my most recent visit a month ago at the Fashion Show in Las Vegas was a disappointment.  The bake times were north of 10 minutes and it just wasnít right.

Whether or nor you got the best example of the style is unknown, but at least you can say you had it.
Yes I can now say I have had coal fired NY pizza.  But now I'm more inspired than ever to find out how this compares to the original Grimaldi's and other coal fired pizza places in Brooklyn.  Only then will I know for sure how good my example of this style of pizza was.  So next time I go back to NY, it's ON!!

But regardless of how authentic this pizza was, it should have been way tastier.  I once had a version of a "Grandma" slice at a NY style pizzeria here in LA, that was in no way like any Grandma slice I've had in NY.  But the flavor was incredible, especially the sauce.  And the crust was seasoned like garlic bread!  Not at all authentic, but still super delicious.  That's all I really wanted from my Grimaldi's experience.  It doesn't have to be authentic (although that would be nice), it just has to be delicious.     

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 08:29:47 AM »
I don't think that is even close to looking like coal oven pizza... Not at all.  🤔

Frank Pepe....https://images.app.goo.gl/Ze89GGzAekAtLEW38
Itís not wildly off base IMO. There is quite a bit of difference between New Haven, which I would dearly love to try someday, and NYC, which I have had many times.
-Tony

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 01:36:55 AM »
New Haven, NJ,Brooklyn..... whatevah.... I'm jus saying... Coal oven pizza, the good stuff, has unmistakeable freaking characteristics. 🤩
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"