A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Date marked July 18th 2017 A NY style pizza with toppings  (Read 681 times)

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Date marked July 18th 2017 A NY style pizza with toppings
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
19" with red roasted peppers at Rockaway

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 05:01:14 PM »
I never order more than one topping on a pizza but if I get to Rockaway, I'm ordering exactly as pictured, looks too good to resist. Great, great job Josh (I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that), it's great to see the NY tradition outside of NY. Harry, thanks for posting!
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 05:27:50 PM »
I never order more than one topping on a pizza but if I get to Rockaway, I'm ordering exactly as pictured, looks too good to resist. Great, great job Josh (I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that), it's great to see the NY tradition outside of NY. Harry, thanks for posting!

Hear you, just sharing topping variations in the NY pie as a counterpoint to alot of plain pie posts lately.  I agree, Josh is doing some great work. 

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »
Non traditional, smoked artichoke and Italian marscapone cream sauce, sauteed spinach, bacon at Rockaway. 

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »

When we order 20 pies from the local pizzeria for an event, we get a myriad of toppings outside of the plain pies.

Yeah, I've had many of these events too. How would you describe the melt on these - in particular the slice shot from Suprema you posted? It's super white, hard for me to tell whether it became gooey. Looks like the veggies impact the melt differently than the meats from these pics. I personally like the looks of the meat ones, and that last white pie.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:55:38 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline Josh123

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »
I thought NY pizza was all about balance though?

It is. Here is a slice of my plain pizza. No pizza has balance when you have 4 toppings, one of them being extra cheese. But that's what some like.

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 09:38:29 PM »
It is. Here is a slice of my plain pizza. No pizza has balance when you have 4 toppings, one of them being extra cheese. But that's what some like.

Very pretty slice!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline Josh123

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 09:46:48 PM »
Yeah, I've had many of these events too. How would you describe the melt on these - in particular the slice shot from Suprema you posted? It's super white, hard for me to tell whether it became gooey. Looks like the veggies impact the melt differently than the meats from these pics. I personally like the looks of the meat ones, and that last white pie.

Vegetables make so much water on the pie, you'll never get the classic orange cheese melt with certain combos. Especially something like mushroom and peppers. Keeps the cheese super white, and cutting the slices sucks, cause it drags the cheese off. I personally like plain cheese or pepperoni most, but I live in western PA, which is known to love toppings. There is something known as the deluxe or supreme out here which is extra cheese, pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, green pepper, and onion. Try getting good cheese melt with that combo lol.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 09:51:05 PM »
Again, this isn't a plain slice thread, it is clearly stated as such.  So I think you must be confused or maybe you are projecting your ignorance as this is all normal in NYC. 

Though the plain slice rules, sausage and/or pepperoni on a pie is quite common in NYC, along with mushrooms, peppers, onions.  Many traditional pizzerias have a special of 4 or more toppings.

When we order 20 pies from the local pizzeria for an event, we get a myriad of toppings outside of the plain pies.  It's very common.  Another popular topping combination in NYC has always been sausage, mushroom and onions.  Another is mushroom olives and pepperoni.  Generally speaking more toppings are added when ordering pies.  When on the run, generally grab a plain or 1 topping slice.  The way traditional pizzerias serve toppings on slice orders is during the reheat and different from toppings added in a pie made from scratch.

This is a very good point. Almost no pizza shops slice pies and take out pies are the same. For one, slice pies are generally not made for time, whereas a busy Friday night, you have to make pies as fast as you can, so they get over/under cheesed, same with toppings. And yes, big difference for cooking a pie with vegetables for 8 to 10 mins and throwing some on top of a plain slice in the deck for 60 seconds. I think nothing beats a slice pie fresh out of the oven.

Offline Josh123

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 09:52:47 PM »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »

josh, that looks like something out of my early 20s in brooklyn.
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 06:50:06 AM »
Vegetables make so much water on the pie, you'll never get the classic orange cheese melt with certain combos. Especially something like mushroom and peppers. Keeps the cheese super white, and cutting the slices sucks, cause it drags the cheese off. I personally like plain cheese or pepperoni most, but I live in western PA, which is known to love toppings. There is something known as the deluxe or supreme out here which is extra cheese, pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, green pepper, and onion. Try getting good cheese melt with that combo lol.

Thanks Josh, I think we're in complete agreement. Again I totally understand the need to make the pies your customers want. Where I may differ (from Harry) is in my emphasis on that classic melt and it being, for me, a requirement for a pie being labeled as setting a standard for NY. When I see a pie where a topping messes with the melt, I think it lost a large component of its NY-ness. But I've always been anti-topping to begin with, so I'll be quiet and go back to making my plain pies now  :pizza:

Matt

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 07:13:18 AM »
Thanks Josh, I think we're in complete agreement. Again I totally understand the need to make the pies your customers want. Where I may differ (from Harry) is in my emphasis on that classic melt and it being, for me, a requirement for a pie being labeled as setting a standard for NY. When I see a pie where a topping messes with the melt, I think it lost a large component of its NY-ness. But I've always been anti-topping to begin with, so I'll be quiet and go back to making my plain pies now  :pizza:

Yes, alot of pie orders in NYC have toppings whether you personally like it or not and and this thread and pictures demonstrating what to expect within context of toppings.  Again, this thread is not about plain slices as stated and whether it's better or not (what is this the 3rd or 4th time I've said this??).  My personal favorite is the plain slice, but I also often get toppings and this is a thread to discuss toppings and not plain slice cheese melt.  You should discuss specifics in the cheese melt thread or start another one.   As far as the Suprema slice with toppings, yes the cheese is melted and hot.  Generally it won't have the same browning as a plain slice obviously because the surface area is covered.

Josh, multiple toppings is also popular in NYC when ordering pies so no need to rationalize the Pittsburgh gluttony.  Just not boiled sandwich ham, pineapple, or ranch sauce.  Toppings should be balanced to the number of toppings, When one gets to 3-4 toppings, there should be less of each to get balance and better bake.  Regional differences probably reside is the quantity of toppings.  The photos I posted here I think are great examples of toppings, they are  1, 2 or 3 toppings, with the 3 topping one the meat pizza which might as well just be 1.  I posted these as representative of what NY pizzas with toppings look like as you do a fine job.

Di Fara Special which is pepperoni/sausage, green pepper, mushroom, onion and basil.   This pizza is very balanced.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:03:34 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 08:08:10 AM »

Another factor is how vegetables are cut.  Suprema for instance slices their mushrooms thinner which evaporates water more effectively in the bake.  It's not a good idea to cut large slices of green pepper either if water is a concern.  And it would be even more problematic in a home oven.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:52:09 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »
It's not a good idea to cut large slices of green pepper either if water is a concern.  And it would be even more problematic in a home oven.

Very true.  Still, I like sausage, mushrooms, and peppers.

A classic example that oil gets hotter than water:

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »
Very true.  Still, I like sausage, mushrooms, and peppers.

A classic example that oil gets hotter than water:

Have you considered parbaking peppers and mushrooms?  Would help pizzamaking in home oven.  There are pizzerias that also air dry ingredients.  Deli's as well and kept in counter cooler bins, next time you order an Italian hero at a reputable deli or sandwich shop, notice the veggies, lettuce, tomato onions don't exude much moisture esp the tomato and won't drip water when holding it up nor does the bread get soggy.  And the lettuce shavings aren't crunchy raw nor is the onions which are more translucent, they taste unified with the sandwich.  Size of the cut is also important.  Alot of it is prep and years of figuring out what works.  The actual cooking is the easy part. 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:02:39 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 10:46:35 PM »
next time you order an Italian hero at a reputable deli

slight detour, favorite italian hero? I've been going to mamas for a long, long time...as long as I've been going to the us open. I also like Mikes on arthur ave. but it's sure not worth a detour. we have an a&s pork store in our town, they make a good one though I have to get up ten times in the middle of the night for water. there was one in cobble hill that used to make it on Cammareri's (of moonstruck fame) bread and it was otherworldly. long gone...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:50:26 PM by quietdesperation »