Author Topic: JD's NY  (Read 37440 times)

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
Re: JD's NY
« Reply #275 on: June 26, 2016, 12:31:40 PM »
Josh, I've gotten into a bit of a groove with your sauce recipe. It's a part of the standard go-to now. It's as is, except the process due to the standing water/juice thing with the Mutti's 

Steps:
#1: Strain tomatoes, put all into bowl except about 2-tbls of the tomato pulp.
#2: Add Olive Oil, salt, garlic and cheese to the tomatoes in the bowl.
#3: Emulsify with boat motor for about 10 seconds or so. Not long at all, really.
#4: Add the reserved tomato pulp, Basil and Oregano to the mixture and stir until combined.
#5: To the fridge.

I think the emulsification of the mixture with the cheese in it as opposed to afterwards does something positive, but I'm not sure what it is. (well, aside from being very yummy.)

I baked 2 up for an early lunch. One as described. One with a little over an 1/8th of an inch of the champ's suggested Anchovies. The difference was quite subtle, but did have more of that salty richness to it. I will do again. I was savoring every last morsel with more than enough pie left for the 3 of us. Kind of says it all right there.  :chef: :chef:

Here are a couple of pics from today's bakes. Thanks again for the recipe.

Offline JD

« Reply #276 on: June 26, 2016, 10:04:51 PM »
Roy - Very nice pizza! I'm glad you tried the anchovies, it was another one on my to-do list. I have so many things to try, and no time to do so.

Thanks again for trying the recipe, please share any improvements on the sauce if you try to mess with it in the future.
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #277 on: July 12, 2016, 08:58:02 AM »
Josh, I had a deja vu kind of smell hit me as I was trying out the America's Test Kitchen Sausage Meatballs. It was the crushed Fennel. Have you tried in your sauce?  I know I saw it in one of the California guys' recipes last year. (Jonas, maybe?)  What I detected wasn't an "every shop" kind of thing, but it was something that definitely reminded me of being in one.

Roy

Offline JD

« Reply #278 on: July 12, 2016, 11:50:46 AM »
Josh, I had a deja vu kind of smell hit me as I was trying out the America's Test Kitchen Sausage Meatballs. It was the crushed Fennel. Have you tried in your sauce?  I know I saw it in one of the California guys' recipes last year. (Jonas, maybe?)  What I detected wasn't an "every shop" kind of thing, but it was something that definitely reminded me of being in one.

Roy

Hey Roy. I've never tried crushed fennel, please let me know if you try it yourself, maybe I was mistaking Fennel seed for Rosemary? Good nose!
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #279 on: July 12, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
Fennel is what makes it "Italian" sausage as far as I understand. Jonas was using it which inspired me to try it. I did it for a bit, ran out of fennel and haven't used it in a while. Doing a bit of a different NY sauce now but it can be good.
Ryan

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2016, 09:36:43 PM »
Hey Roy. I've never tried crushed fennel, please let me know if you try it yourself, maybe I was mistaking Fennel seed for Rosemary? Good nose!
I'll give it a shot.

Fennel is what makes it "Italian" sausage as far as I understand. Jonas was using it which inspired me to try it. I did it for a bit, ran out of fennel and haven't used it in a while. Doing a bit of a different NY sauce now but it can be good.
How much did you use? ( I guess how much per can of tomatoes and then I can to the math from there for a test pie of my own. )

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
Love fennel......I "toast" the seeds in a skillet for a few minutes and then crush them with a mortar and pestle....both of which release incredible aroma and taste. I add that to sausage but haven't put it in sauce....I'm sure it would work....
Bob

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #282 on: July 13, 2016, 01:04:09 AM »
I'll give it a shot.
How much did you use? ( I guess how much per can of tomatoes and then I can to the math from there for a test pie of my own. )

This is Jonas' old sauce recipe

28 oz can Wal Mart crushed tomatoes or equivalent
tsp fresh ground black pepper
tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 TB of olive oil
1/2 clove garlic or of a Dorot frozen garlic cube or tsp garlic powder
tsp ground fennel
Ryan

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2016, 10:33:56 AM »
JD's sauce recipe inspired me to try using dried basil, and I'm really liking it. It adds a bit of sweetness. I'm heavy on the herbs - I was using 2 tsp of oregano for 28oz, now I'm using 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp basil. Thanks for the inspiration!

Matt
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #284 on: July 24, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »
JD's sauce recipe inspired me to try using dried basil, and I'm really liking it. It adds a bit of sweetness. I'm heavy on the herbs - I was using 2 tsp of oregano for 28oz, now I'm using 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp basil. Thanks for the inspiration!

Matt

I'm starting to feel like I either want plain tomato flavor or heavy herbs. In between never seems to stick out without another boost like garlic or chili flakes. The "marinara" zone people talk about.
Ryan

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »
I'm in agreement about getting in the happy zone with the ingredients. My initial basil attempts last year were all heavy handed. This is well balanced now.

I think the hard cheese choice can make a massive difference. So far, though, I'm finding that only the saltier types that helps  bust through the rest of the flavors are the ones that are making the biggest difference. Other's seem to not make much of a difference. I've got about 6-weeks of tests starting later this week. 

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #286 on: August 13, 2016, 06:46:29 PM »
I am about 2/3rds of the way through my bake and taste testing using a variety of hard cheeses like Pecorino and Parmesan. I did my to-date write-up on my own NY thread instead of clogging up someone else's. (sorry Josh!)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=41382.msg443529#msg443529   

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #287 on: October 10, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
Josh, have your tried Marjoram?

Roy

Offline JD

« Reply #288 on: October 11, 2016, 03:39:01 PM »
Josh, have your tried Marjoram?

Roy

Hi Roy - I'm not sure if I have tried marjoram in any serious mannor. I've substituted marjoram for oregano in the past but didn't really notice anything significant. Still have to try fennel and I have another can of mutti's to try still. Not making much pizza lately, where's the fat guy emoticon?
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #289 on: October 12, 2016, 02:17:49 PM »
Hi Roy - I'm not sure if I have tried marjoram in any serious mannor. I've substituted marjoram for oregano in the past but didn't really notice anything significant. Still have to try fennel and I have another can of mutti's to try still. Not making much pizza lately, where's the fat guy emoticon?
I had some in the form of the number 1 ingredient on a pizza spices container I got from Penn Mac. I used 1/8th tsp of the stuff along with some garlic in about 125g of sauce. (only used 120g for the pie)

I'm not sure what to think of it. I might even have to try a plain cheese pie with it sometime. I didn't find any contrast from the sauce to the Hormel sliced stick pepperoni on the pie. The aroma was similar to Ezzo pepperoni. I would not be surprised to learn that Marjoram is a major spice in Pepperoni. The whole pie was zesty and reminded me of some chain pizza sauce somewhere along the line that was billed as being extra zesty.

Perhaps 1/8th tsp for 14oz or even 28oz would have been enough.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #290 on: October 12, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »
I just got back from the store with some new dried marjoram, sweet basil, and oregano.
They all smell pretty different. The oregano is pungent and intense, the marjoram has a floral scent that kind of reminds me of laundry detergent, and the sweet basil has a licorice vibe, which is what I recall most from experimenting with fennel powder; that licorice flavor.
Ryan