A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Today's pie  (Read 190 times)

Offline patelsrn

• I Love Pizza!
Today's pie
« on: May 09, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »
Hey guys,
This is my 3rd pie since I first started making pizza.

I used j. Kenji Lopez alt's dough with .5% yeast and 2% oil. It was cold fermented for 4 days and took it 3 hours before baking (next time I'll take it out only 90-120 mins before since the dough after 3 hours was way to soft to work with).
The cheese was black diamond mozzarella (Canadian brand).

The sauce was just whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes (only used half the 'sauce' from the can) with salt, oregano, chili flakes, and a bit of sugar since the tomatoes were too tart.

Things to improve next time:
1. Just need practice with shaping the dough (middle was way to thin while stretching the dough on my knuckles). This could be from the amount of fermentation making he dough super soft and airy but I'm not sure.
2. Try lower hydration since the dough was at 66% with 4 days fermentation. (I've seen doughs from scars's and Joe's pizzeria and they were way more firm looking than the dough I used.

3. Try freezing the cheese before use since there was cheese oil around the pizza (idk if this would be prevented from just cooling the pizza on a wire rack or freezing the cheese.)

5. Fine tune my baking method. The current method was putting my baking steel on 2nd top rack (7" from broiler) pre heating at 550 for 1hr and then launching the pie and turning the broiler on high. (My oven shuts of the convection heating and starts broiler idk if this is common, so theoretically the pizza is being cooked from the preheated steel and broiler).
   - next time I'll try just using convection bake the whole time on the top most rack and finish it of with broiler towards the end to brown the top.

Let me know what you guys think!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Today's pie
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 12:14:48 PM »
I can assure you that my 3rd pizza did not look as good as that. Nice job.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T