A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 173144 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #620 on: May 03, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »
Loved reading these last few posts of yours GB! I've been on the fence about trying that oregano but you totally sold me. I started re-visiting a pizzeria near by who tops the pies with oregano, adds such a great "pizza" flavor to the pie, I can never replicate it at home no matter how much I use or which shaker I try. It usually just seems bitter, not hearty and flavorful like the pizzeria.

I just recently found a local source for 6-in-1s; I think they're great. Went through a case of Sclafani crushed and wasn't really a fan, maybe a bad crop. I preferred the Tuttorosso crushed. The San Benito SM style whole peeled with basil from Smart & Final are pretty good for the price is you get a good can. I think they are $3.49 for a #10 can.

I just got some Saputo Gold mozzarella the other day after not using that in a while - so much better than everything else I've used lately. Nice flavor and great performance; I was trying to use organic mozzarella but it kept turning into a big scab. I'm getting Saputo (again) at small Mexican grocery store so you never know where you'll find some of this stuff. I just got some Parmesan Reggianito from the same place as well - apparently it's a small wheeled Argentinian version of the King of Cheeses. But since it was actually sliced fresh off the wheel it had incredible flavor, tons of those grainy, aged, flavor crystals: way better than any of the pre-packaged Reggiano wedges I've been getting from other stores. Half the price of Reggiano to boot!
the proof is in the pizza

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #621 on: May 04, 2019, 01:25:11 AM »
I like 6 in 1 but trader joe's is 35 mins while all our local grocery stores carry scalfani. I have found a lot of variation in the sweetness of scalfani and sometimes add a pinch of sugar (after removing the skins and seeds). I also add oregano, a pinch of sea salt and grate a little hard cheese into the sauce.

gb, our pies are starting to look a little alike! Which is yours and which is mine?  :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 01:36:29 AM by quietdesperation »
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #622 on: May 04, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
Loved reading these last few posts of yours GB! I've been on the fence about trying that oregano but you totally sold me. I started re-visiting a pizzeria near by who tops the pies with oregano, adds such a great "pizza" flavor to the pie, I can never replicate it at home no matter how much I use or which shaker I try. It usually just seems bitter, not hearty and flavorful like the pizzeria.

I just recently found a local source for 6-in-1s; I think they're great. Went through a case of Sclafani crushed and wasn't really a fan, maybe a bad crop. I preferred the Tuttorosso crushed. The San Benito SM style whole peeled with basil from Smart & Final are pretty good for the price is you get a good can. I think they are $3.49 for a #10 can.

I just got some Saputo Gold mozzarella the other day after not using that in a while - so much better than everything else I've used lately. Nice flavor and great performance; I was trying to use organic mozzarella but it kept turning into a big scab. I'm getting Saputo (again) at small Mexican grocery store so you never know where you'll find some of this stuff. I just got some Parmesan Reggianito from the same place as well - apparently it's a small wheeled Argentinian version of the King of Cheeses. But since it was actually sliced fresh off the wheel it had incredible flavor, tons of those grainy, aged, flavor crystals: way better than any of the pre-packaged Reggiano wedges I've been getting from other stores. Half the price of Reggiano to boot!

Yes!  Definitely get some Sicilian oregano.  Whether it's what you're looking for or not, you'll definitely taste the difference.  I think I tried Reggianito once a long time ago.  I can't remember anything about my reaction though.  Next time I see it, I'll pick some up.

I like 6 in 1 but trader joe's is 35 mins while all our local grocery stores carry scalfani. I have found a lot of variation in the sweetness of scalfani and sometimes add a pinch of sugar (after removing the skins and seeds). I also add oregano, a pinch of sea salt and grate a little hard cheese into the sauce.

gb, our pies are starting to look a little alike! Which is yours and which is mine?  :)

That's uncanny, QD.  Even the cheese melt is a dead ringer!  I hope it was good eating!  ;D

Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Kreetak

• I Love Pizza!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #623 on: May 14, 2019, 03:02:30 PM »
I used GlutenBoy's and ChrisGraff's simple dough recipe from the above reply.  48 CF, 1 Hour counter, 500 degree home oven for about 15 minutes.  I par-baked the skin for about 5 minuteson 18-inch screen, then moved to stone.  Ricotta/Parmesan on the bottom, mozz, mushroom and spinach on top, a little salt/pepper/oregano.  Turned out really good --- nice and crisp, simple flavors in the dough, I really liked it.

Thanks @Glutenboy and @Chrisgraff !!!!

Hello Dutch!
I would like to replicate your pizza! Is it possible to know the TF? Because I will use 2 balls for 12". And I want to calculate the all percentages :P

This pizza it's amazing  :chef:

Offline zole2112

« Reply #624 on: May 14, 2019, 03:57:26 PM »
I made a Glutenboy crust recipe on Sunday. I used 100% Bouncer flour I got at Gordon's Food Service that I want to use up, it actually turned out excellent! This crust stretched the best of any I have ever made, 24 hours in the fridge, 2 - 10 second bursts in the microwave and I stretched it thin all the way to the edges.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #625 on: May 14, 2019, 07:30:02 PM »
I made a Glutenboy crust recipe on Sunday. I used 100% Bouncer flour I got at Gordon's Food Service that I want to use up, it actually turned out excellent! This crust stretched the best of any I have ever made, 24 hours in the fridge, 2 - 10 second bursts in the microwave and I stretched it thin all the way to the edges.

Just want to start by saying that it looks delicious, but it doesn't look like many I've seen from my dough.  Very thin and almost a cracker-crust consistency.  How did you manage that?  I'm guessing maybe you rolled out the dough before stretching?  Nice variation!

- GB  :chef:
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #626 on: May 14, 2019, 09:06:17 PM »
Just want to start by saying that it looks delicious, but it doesn't look like many I've seen from my dough.  Very thin and almost a cracker-crust consistency.  How did you manage that?  I'm guessing maybe you rolled out the dough before stretching?  Nice variation!

- GB  :chef:

yeah I dig it! Nice work!  :chef:   Curious if you used a rolling pin and what was the H20 hydration% and oil %?  Oh and also if you would, oven temp and time. Thx! ... and again nice pizza!
Jeff

Offline zole2112

« Reply #627 on: May 16, 2019, 10:22:54 AM »
yeah I dig it! Nice work!  :chef:   Curious if you used a rolling pin and what was the H20 hydration% and oil %?  Oh and also if you would, oven temp and time. Thx! ... and again nice pizza!
Thanks guys! Glutenboy, I've made your recipes before but never have I gotten this exact result either. Usually it looks more like the other pics I've seen.

When I get home I will send the specifics on the recipe and the process. It was the best stretching crust I have ever made, I felt like I reached Nirvana when I was stretching it lol. I can tell you that I didn't roll it at all. I made the one in the picture after 24 hrs in the fridge and I made a second after 72 hours and it was awesome as well. One thing I did that may have contributed to the crackery crust (which was unexpected) was to coat the pan with EVOO and place the pan on my steel, normally it goes directly from my peel onto my steel or my Kiln shelf.

Offline zole2112

« Reply #628 on: May 18, 2019, 02:04:52 PM »
Ok, here is the recipe (I made it 3x these quantities):

334.53 g Flour - the recipe called for Sir Lancelot but I tried an alternative I got at Gordon Food Services, Bouncer with 4g Protein
218.3 g water - I used tap
0.75 g IDY
4.19 g Salt
3.37 g EVOO

Mixed all water, 1/2 of the flour and all of the yeast in my Kitchenaid on Stir (1) with paddle until mixed
Rested 2 min
Added 1/2 of remaining flour and mixed with dough hook on Stir (1) and Low (2) for 2 min (appx 1 min at each setting, Stir/Low/Stir)
Rested 2 min
Added remaining flour, salt, EVOO and mixed with dough hook for 2 min on Low (1)
Kneaded in Kitchenaid for 7 min - appx 5 min on Low (1) and 5 min on Low (2) alternating
Bulk rise on counter 1.5 hours, it was about 67 in my house at the time
Poured dough out and split into 6 pieces appx 290 g each.
Balled each and placed in oiled containers
Refrigerated

Also, I took the dough right out of the fridge and hit it with 2 10 second bursts in the microwave to warm it slightly.

It was pretty easy to stretch the dough, I had full 14" rounds spreading on the counter with flour and then stretching draped over my knuckles.

Top and bake

I made the first pizza after 24 hours in the fridge, thats the one I posted pics of. I then made another after 72 hours with results pretty much the same as the first. I got busy the rest of the week and I am going to par bake the other 4 today, so that is about 166 hours, I'll see how they turn out.

I think the 2 things that may have created the crackery crust are:
1) Bulk rise and then balling, I was reading this in a Re-balling thread and I use that for my Tartine bread when I make that,
2) baking on my pan coated with EVOO on the pan and baked it with the pan on the steel before transferring it directly to the steel after about 5 min, steel at appx 475-500 F, for the first 4 or 5 min. Oven is set at 550 F and I start baking after the steel on the lowest rack level passes 450 F

I finish it on the highest level shelf to finish the top of the pizza.

That's it.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:54:25 PM by zole2112 »

Offline zole2112

« Reply #629 on: May 18, 2019, 03:19:29 PM »
166 hour ferment in fridge, it's delicious although I like the 72 hour a bit better.

Offline GumbaWill

• Many paths lead to the same destination
« Reply #630 on: May 18, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
Fresh mozzarella, cooked crumbled hot Italian sausage, fire roasted red peppers and parmigiano reggiano.

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #631 on: May 22, 2019, 03:27:38 PM »
Pizza Wednesday...05/22/19
Sourdough / 10% WHOLE GRAIN
N.Y. style: Sausage, pepperoni and fire roasted red peppers.
So it begins....80hrs. cold ferment, 11/2 hr. bench rest prior to stretch.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 05:55:52 PM by GumbaWill »

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #632 on: May 22, 2019, 05:57:32 PM »
I will put this pie up against any pie in Manhattan, bar none!

Online DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #633 on: May 23, 2019, 05:49:40 AM »
Nice pies. Are those gluten boy formulas?

Offline GumbaWill

« Reply #634 on: May 23, 2019, 06:52:41 AM »
No, my formula is derived from a Lehmann style dough.

wordpress