A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 168833 times)

Pizzamick88 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #580 on: January 26, 2019, 01:18:24 AM »
Does a bear $h*t in the woods?
Josh

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #581 on: January 26, 2019, 07:19:40 AM »
Now that would be a pizza topping I could live without  :o >:D :-D

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Tonight's Pie
« Reply #582 on: January 26, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »
Now that would be a pizza topping I could live without  :o >:D :-D
No, really itís very good.  The trick is to slice it thin and brown it in a little EVOO before it goes on the pie.  Caramelization is key!!! :-D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:37:38 AM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #583 on: January 26, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
I'll have to look more closely at your pies :-D

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #584 on: January 26, 2019, 01:04:23 PM »
I'll have to look more closely at your pies :-D
That's not sausage.  However, the bear was Italian!  :-D

P.S. - I do not recommend googling the term "Italian bear."

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2019, 01:41:02 PM »
 :-D :-D   I'll avoid that search for my own protection. We're just boys..we shouldn't be looking at adult stuff LOL

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #586 on: January 26, 2019, 06:02:40 PM »
Yes! Then. Now. Great is great!
ABSOLUTELY! Love the look of that! Yours was one of the first formulas I used delving into that style! Still use it some today! 👍
Does a bear $h*t in the woods?
Thanks for the affirmation, guys.  It's hard not to feel like a pretender sometimes when you're surrounded by all this expertise.  ;D

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #587 on: February 12, 2019, 04:37:24 PM »
Shooting the glutenboy signal in the sky, we need some pizza pics!

Hope all is well
Josh

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #588 on: March 03, 2019, 02:34:54 PM »
Shooting the glutenboy signal in the sky, we need some pizza pics!

Hope all is well

Better late than never!  Here's last night's effort:  a white pie, which I'll break down for you, along with a side order of funny story.

First of all, now that my oven is working consistently, I've had an opportunity to focus on the pizza.  One of my favorite diversions is pizza bianca ala GB.  It's a favorite when I cook for company or when I'm cooking at someone's home for a small party, but I'm not a fan of the usual white cream sauce.  Mine is always some blend of cheeses, always prominently featuring fresh mozzarella, some crumbled goat cheese, and spinach, seasoned with freshly minced garlic, rosemary, and thyme.  The thing is that without that cream sauce, the blanket of cheese can get a bit too thick for my taste, especially when I'm using someone else's oven, which, being cooler, lengthens the bake time.

Then, a few weeks ago, I was reading a thread under Ingredients and Resources, where someone was asking about the best retail fresh mozzarella.  The consensus was BelGioioso, and the person went out looking for it, but bought the burrata by mistake.  They said they liked the flavor, but complained that all of the liquid in the burrata had made their margherita soggy.  It was pointed out that they should've tried the dry fresh log, and life went on.  It did, however, get me thinking that the burrata might be the ideal substitute for the fresh mozzarella on my white pie.  It would bring all that moisture and creamy goodness without drastically altering the flavor profile.

So last night, I took a 4-day old dough out of the fridge, got my ingredients -- including my Costco-bought BelGioioso burrata -- ready, and waited for my dough to warm and for my oven to reach cooking temp.  A couple of hours later, I went eagerly into the kitchen and got to work.  I lightly floured my wooden peel and then dusted it with semolina.  I stretched my dough, which opened like a little champ, laid it out, and put on my base layer of grated provolone and asiago.  I sliced up the burrata as cleanly as I could.  It had a very nice fresh, milky flavor.  The extra fat from the injected cream makes it very rich and delicious.  I evenly distributed generous globs of it across the pie.  After sprinkling on some crumbled goat, I decided to go see how the oven was doing.  Imagine my dismay when I realized that the one thing I had forgotten to do a couple of hours earlier was turn it on.

So here I am with a stretched, mostly topped dough sitting on a wooden peel, with no oven to put it into.  After allowing myself a moment to marvel at my own foolishness, I decided to slide the peel onto an empty shelf in the fridge -- it just barely fit -- and hope for the best.  The oven was now on, but it needed at least an hour to preheat.  So I watched a little TV and went to the fridge to shake the peel every few minutes in an effort to keep the pizza mobile.  Much to my surprise, the rescue plan worked perfectly.  The pizza remained unstuck to the peel and didn't rise a bit in the fridge.  I finished topping it and slid it into the oven 70 minutes later as though nothing had happened.  My only thought is that had it been a pie with sauce, things might have gone very differently.  There were two notable and not necessarily negative effects from the delay and the refrigeration.  First, it yielded a very airy rim.  not necessarily perfect to look at, but crisp yet pliant and very tasty.  Second -- and I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of this, but I was very hungry by now -- perfect and very pronounced leoparding on the bottom of the pie.  We're talking rather large, very abundant, perfectly formed, brownish black spots, evenly distributed all over the bottom of the pie.  I don't know that I've even seen a picture of exactly what I got, but it was very pretty and tasted really good.

As far as my cheese experiment went, it was exactly what I had hoped for as well.  The thicker grated hard cheeses were beautifully blended with the white fresh mozzarella with just the right distribution of delicious rivulets of creamy whey.  I think I've come up with a unique and tasty take on a classic that -- and I can only speak for myself -- I'd go out of my way and pay good money for if I hadn't made it myself.

These aren't the best pics.  It was pretty late by the time all of the above had happened, and, as I said, I was a little too hungry to care.

- GB
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:04:29 PM by Glutenboy »

Online Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #589 on: March 03, 2019, 03:00:48 PM »
Great story and great looking pie, GB!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #590 on: March 03, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
Great story and great looking pie, GB!

^^^ ^^^!!
Bob

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #591 on: March 03, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »
I love the story that's awesome. First thing I want to know is what kind of peel do you have because i want one!

I have heard that cold dough will get the "cat eyes" instead of lepording. I am assuming the more Aries crust is from the gluten relaxing while it was stretched out? Sounds like a horrible experience turned out great that is a very cool thing. The pie looks great. I have been thinking about making a pie and I have seen a few on here that use heavy cream mixed with the cheese and it looks like it's a good option I'm going to test out

Your pie looks very clean and perfect!

I look forward to the next adventure always a enjoyment reading your post
Josh

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #592 on: March 03, 2019, 07:03:39 PM »
I love the story that's awesome. First thing I want to know is what kind of peel do you have because i want one!

I have heard that cold dough will get the "cat eyes" instead of lepording. I am assuming the more Aries crust is from the gluten relaxing while it was stretched out? Sounds like a horrible experience turned out great that is a very cool thing. The pie looks great. I have been thinking about making a pie and I have seen a few on here that use heavy cream mixed with the cheese and it looks like it's a good option I'm going to test out

Your pie looks very clean and perfect!

I look forward to the next adventure always a enjoyment reading your post
Thanks, Josh.  Itís a plain, unfinished 16-inch wooden peel that I got years ago from a local restaurant-supply house.  Care received consists of scraping and cleaning with vinegar after use and an occasional rubdown with mineral oil when needed.  I think I just got lucky that it was a sauceless pie with a nice spread of semolina under it.  What do the cat eyes look like?  This was very close to leoparding.  The spots were abundant, very round and about .5-.75 centimeters in diameter.  Pretty evenly spaced. They were dark, but not quite char black.  New thing to me.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #593 on: March 03, 2019, 07:16:33 PM »
I tried every google search i could think of but was unable to find a single photo of a similar phenomenon.   I can only conclude that, outside of this group, not many people take pictures of the bottom of their pizza. ;D

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #594 on: March 03, 2019, 10:45:51 PM »
beautiful pie gb  :drool:
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline Irishboy

« Reply #595 on: March 03, 2019, 11:40:20 PM »
This would be an example of cat eyes to me
Josh

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #596 on: March 05, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
is the % of idy yeast  .2828% or .1982% for gluten boys original recipe on the first page of this thread? He said .2828% for his formulation equaled about 1 teaspoon of idy yeast. Peter then mentioned by his formulation it should actually be .1982% I don't think gluten boy ever corrected it on his post so I am not sure which to go with for his recipe. I just want to make one dough ball for a 16" or 18" pie and follow gluten boys recipe as he intended it.

edit: It looks like some people tend to use the .2828%... this is more yeast than the Lehmann recipe, correct? I made two batches one with the .2828 and one just slightly less at .19 or .20... the difference is so small It might not even matter and I may have not even been so precise in my measurement of the yeast. Also, trying to adapt the workflow for a questionable black and decker food processor.  I am excited for this one, it will be the first one to cook on the steels I just got.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:29:15 PM by DreamingOfPizza »

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #597 on: March 12, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »
is the % of idy yeast  .2828% or .1982% for gluten boys original recipe on the first page of this thread? He said .2828% for his formulation equaled about 1 teaspoon of idy yeast. Peter then mentioned by his formulation it should actually be .1982% I don't think gluten boy ever corrected it on his post so I am not sure which to go with for his recipe. I just want to make one dough ball for a 16" or 18" pie and follow gluten boys recipe as he intended it.

edit: It looks like some people tend to use the .2828%... this is more yeast than the Lehmann recipe, correct? I made two batches one with the .2828 and one just slightly less at .19 or .20... the difference is so small It might not even matter and I may have not even been so precise in my measurement of the yeast. Also, trying to adapt the workflow for a questionable black and decker food processor.  I am excited for this one, it will be the first one to cook on the steels I just got.

to update myself on the matter, .2828% is too much yeast, .19-.20% was good. Today I mixed a .1990% yeast batch by hand.

(Sorry for the bad picture and lack of them) the below is 5 days at .19-.20% ish yeast made in a food processor. I obviously need to bake longer, place my steel in a more optimal position in the oven and figure out my cheese to tomato ratio. (I was trying a new cheese blend and didn't have enough to split between a 16" and an 18"... poor planning) also new tomato sauce. Besides that, the dough was excellent and had a great texture. I had a hard time stretching the dough, had to be real gentle. I also used too much bench flour.
for leftovers I added a bit more cheese and re baked at 530 degrees for a few minutes and put it under the broiler a bit I should have taken more pictures of the leftovers because they were much better tasting and looking too.

Gluten boy: I know you mentioned when you make your dough by hand you use this stretching and twisting method. Does your hand mixing process differ from the process you use when using a machine? Do you still mix half the flour with all of the water and IDY first into a batter, rest, add half of the remaining flour after it is all mixed, again rest, salt, mix, add remaining flour and final mix? I am assuming the "final mix" would be kneading, if it was done by hand? Or do you use an entirely different process when hand mixing?

Thanks for the great dough! I am still trying to get the hang of it, as a newbie with no stand mixer.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:45:03 PM by DreamingOfPizza »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #598 on: March 17, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
to update myself on the matter, .2828% is too much yeast, .19-.20% was good. Today I mixed a .1990% yeast batch by hand.

(Sorry for the bad picture and lack of them) the below is 5 days at .19-.20% ish yeast made in a food processor. I obviously need to bake longer, place my steel in a more optimal position in the oven and figure out my cheese to tomato ratio. (I was trying a new cheese blend and didn't have enough to split between a 16" and an 18"... poor planning) also new tomato sauce. Besides that, the dough was excellent and had a great texture. I had a hard time stretching the dough, had to be real gentle. I also used too much bench flour.
for leftovers I added a bit more cheese and re baked at 530 degrees for a few minutes and put it under the broiler a bit I should have taken more pictures of the leftovers because they were much better tasting and looking too.

Gluten boy: I know you mentioned when you make your dough by hand you use this stretching and twisting method. Does your hand mixing process differ from the process you use when using a machine? Do you still mix half the flour with all of the water and IDY first into a batter, rest, add half of the remaining flour after it is all mixed, again rest, salt, mix, add remaining flour and final mix? I am assuming the "final mix" would be kneading, if it was done by hand? Or do you use an entirely different process when hand mixing?

Thanks for the great dough! I am still trying to get the hang of it, as a newbie with no stand mixer.

Hey!  Sorry for the late reply.  Life is once again keeping me away from my beloved pizza.  Your pizza looks terrific!  It's been so long since I even attempted to weigh the yeast -- it's the one ingredient I measure by volume -- that I'd have to go back and figure out the answer to your query.  The lower number feels right though.  Lately I've been using ADY in the water instead of IDY in the dry ingredients.  My recent switch to hand kneading has been a revelation.  I have a KA Pro mixer with the lift bowl and spiral dough hook, which is much better than the smaller Artisan model which lifts from the top.  My conclusion is that it's still not enough mixer to beat hand kneading, not necessarily in terms of power but in terms of action.   What I'm doing these days is adding about half the flour to create what's best described as a batter.  Then I stir vigorously with a large metal frosting spreader (just 'cause it's easy to clean).   When I see structure forming as evidenced by my swirl marks remaining on the surface, I slowly incorporate more flour stirring vigorously with each amount added.  Sometimes I use the spreader to lift some of the forming dough out of the bowl to watch the gluten stretch.  As more flour gets added, it becomes more challenging to incorporate, but this is where I get my hands dirty (with dough, that is) and work it all in.  I still haven't added the salt, mind you.   Getting that last bit of flour homogenized takes a little work, but once it's in, I let it rest and absorb for a couple of minutes and start stretching.  When the dough begins to get smooth and extensible, I add the salt.  I just sprinkle it over the surface of the dough in a mixing bowl and continue kneading until it dissolves and incorporates.  One great thing about the hand-pull stretch is that it lets me really get a feel for the hydration.  If it doesn't pull smoothly without tearing, it's a little too dry.  If it's too sticky to handle, it's a little too wet.  Once I find the sweet spot, I just pull and twist until It's smooth, extensible, and maybe a little relaxed.   Then I let it rest and rise in the bowl covered with plastic.  At this point I have added another new step.  After the rise, I stretch the dough as if I were pulling a pizza -- not all the way to pizza thinness, but definitely to flat roundness.  I find that, for the first time, I can achieve actual windowpaning at this step, but I don't really pull it that thin.  Then I fold it in thirds in each direction, pull it back into a ball and let it rest and rise a little while again.  Now it's back to the regular technique.  After 30 minutes or so, I scale, ball, oil the surface of each dough ball, put them in the glad containers, and refrigerate until pizza day.  I'm getting some of the best texture and crumb this way that I've ever managed.  Glad you're happy with the dough!

- GB
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:37:37 PM by Glutenboy »

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #599 on: March 17, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
Thank you so much for the reply and explaining all the good details. I will definitely do that for next week's pizza.

Here is a hand mixed dough ball of your recipe before it weny 5 days in a 30 is degree fridge. it came out really good and balled nicely and stretched/ shaped relatively easy. And then theres a few shots I took afterthe bake. I didn't get to use my preferred cheese blend but it still came out super tasty and texture was superb. I used normas sauce recipe which came out really good too, instead of wal mart crushed tomatoes and paste I used 6 in 1 and mutti paste. I will be using this sauce again FOR SURE.
Pepperoni was just okay, I cant find a good pep source.
Thanks again for the recipe and your updated hand mixing guide. I really love the crust and flavor you can get from it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:12:08 PM by DreamingOfPizza »

wordpress