A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Salumeria Belliese pepperoni  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Salumeria Belliese pepperoni
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
Check out Ndjua Artisan out of Chicago. Everything I have got from them is excellent.
Looks like one of the places that sells their stuff is near my mother's house.  I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Connecticut.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »
My current favorite is Battistoni Classic Italian.  It has creamy specks of fat reminscent of good proscuitto pork fat and a juice to the bite.  Bit softer mouth feel than other dried cured pepperonis, and a good balance of spicy, salty and sweet.
I'll be on the lookout for that one. I have never seen it in a Save A Lot but I'll look next time I'm in one. If not, sooner or later I'll be in Western NY. Looks pretty common out there.

HarryHaller73

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
I'll be on the lookout for that one. I have never seen it in a Save A Lot but I'll look next time I'm in one. If not, sooner or later I'll be in Western NY. Looks pretty common out there.

They also do mail order off the website.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
They also do mail order off the website.
As I spend more and more on my pizza habit, my inherent cheapness tries to limit shipping costs.

Offline misterschu

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »
So, I'd picked up a pound of Biellese pepperoni last time I went through Penn Station. Really great flavor. Would easily be my go to if I were making NY style. It's large, doesn't cup, and tastes great (like all their products). For neapolitan, there's something to be said for smaller size and the great cupping that happens with vermont s+c and oscar's.

I'll definitely be making it staple when I drop in to buy their prosciutto though.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 05:00:27 PM »
So, I'd picked up a pound of Biellese pepperoni last time I went through Penn Station. Really great flavor. Would easily be my go to if I were making NY style.

You've got great taste.  What can I say ;-D
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 07:40:33 PM »
"uncured" meats generally have several times the concentration because they aren't regulated.

Do you have a source for this?

I'm aware they add nitrates through celery or other ingredients, but hadn't thought about the amount and regulation.
Matt

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 10:35:29 PM »
Do you have a source for this?

I'm aware they add nitrates through celery or other ingredients, but hadn't thought about the amount and regulation.
From a New York Times article a few years ago

A study published earlier this year in The Journal of Food Protection found that natural hot dogs had anywhere from one-half to 10 times the amount of nitrite that conventional hot dogs contained. Natural bacon had from about a third as much nitrite as a conventional brand to more than twice as much.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/07/02/business/02hotdog.html

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 07:15:16 AM »
From a New York Times article a few years ago

Thanks very much Jon
Matt

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2017, 03:10:38 PM »
I can't believe I'm just seeing this.

Salumeria Biellese is far and away my favorite Salumeria in the country and the pepperoni is top notch in flavor. Best Pizza uses their roni, but I think it's even larger than the one in your picture in diameter. I wanted to use the salumeria pepperoni on my new pizzas, but didn't want the large diameter. Seeing this smaller stick is helpful!

I finally scored a 2-pound stick of Salumeria Belliese pepperoni through an obscure channel.  It's a bit bigger than a Hormel Rosa or Vermont Smoke and Cure pepperoni stick in diameter (about 2.25 inches) and the texture is firmer than Vermont Smoked pepperoni.  My opinion; best pepperoni I've ever had both for snacking and baked on a pizza.  If you're a NY resident I think you may be able to purchase it directly from their deli counter but it may be a food service product only.  I'm torn between trying to spread out its use for special occasions or just gobbling it up at every opportunity.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »
I can't believe I'm just seeing this.

Salumeria Biellese is far and away my favorite Salumeria in the country and the pepperoni is top notch in flavor. Best Pizza uses their roni, but I think it's even larger than the one in your picture in diameter. I wanted to use the salumeria pepperoni on my new pizzas, but didn't want the large diameter. Seeing this smaller stick is helpful!

I just bought some there yesterday. They only had large diameter.
Hans

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2017, 03:45:18 PM »
My current favorite is Battistoni Classic Italian.  It has creamy specks of fat reminscent of good proscuitto pork fat and a juice to the bite.  Bit softer mouth feel than other dried cured pepperonis, and a good balance of spicy, salty and sweet.

Where do you buy it?
Hans

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2017, 04:38:45 PM »
I want to find it in smaller sticks...The only size I've found/ordered has been the giant stick which is 5+ lbs. If I could find sticks at 0.5lb to 1lb each that would be great (just for quality control so you don't have a cut stick starting to oxidize!) The chorizo secco is at that weight and something I might consider for pizza.

I've used the Spicy Sopp from them before, and those are 3 to 5lbs a stick but the pepperoni was even larger.

I just bought some there yesterday. They only had large diameter.