A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Chicago Stuffed  (Read 10369 times)

Offline PizzaGarage

Re: Chicago Stuffed
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »
60-90 would be the time frame.  Since it's pretty dry, letting it warm up for 90 might work out better considering you need to roll it.

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »
So far this has NOT gone well. It took me 30 minutes+ to roll out the bottom curst and it was paper thin. It just barely fit in my 12in pan. I'm sitting right now because I am physically exhausted after trying to roll out the top crust. That's even after the bottom crust sat out for 2.5 hours and the top one sat out for 3!

Some things I would change for next time:
  • Up hydration to 50%
  • Increase dough weight to 16 ounces for inner crust and 12 ounces for outer

Will let you guys know how the finished product is... assuming I don't die of exhaustion rolling out the crust  :-D

-Jeffinslaw
Perfecting pizzas one ball of dough at a time.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 09:18:42 PM »
To me, that dough looked less than 45%. If your dough is that stiff and hard to roll out, next time double bag it (in case first one has a leak) and submerge in a tub of 100°ish water for 30-45 minutes til the center gets good and warmed up. You will be much happier rolling out your lower hydration doughs. You'll get it the first time you ty it. After making my first couple dozen cracker crusts and sweating my balls off, ding ding, there has to be a better way other than spending a grand or more on a sheeter. Then it hit me, warm up the dough. Change water to keep warm as needed and another thought just hit me..... sous vide dough?!?!? Hmmmmmmm, have to look up the low range on that Anova again........

jon
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 09:36:01 PM »
Ps......I just checked and the low end is 25°C/77°F to 99°C/210°F. I'll be try it out for proofing extra warm for low hydration doughs like cracker crusts soon me thinks!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
To me, that dough looked less than 45%. If your dough is that stiff and hard to roll out, next time double bag it (in case first one has a leak) and submerge in a tub of 100°ish water for 30-45 minutes til the center gets good and warmed up. You will be much happier rolling out your lower hydration doughs. You'll get it the first time you ty it. After making my first couple dozen cracker crusts and sweating my balls off, ding ding, there has to be a better way other than spending a grand or more on a sheeter. Then it hit me, warm up the dough. Change water to keep warm as needed and another thought just hit me..... sous vide dough?!?!? Hmmmmmmm, have to look up the low range on that Anova again........

jon

Ooh that's a great idea! Sous vide dough, I like it :) I love my Anova, it's an excellent tool to have. I was able to get the dough somewhat rolled out. I could not for the life of me get the top piece rolled out to the correct size so I just laid it over the top of the stuffings and folded the inner dough back on top of it. It did taste great but I would definitely like the dough to be a little thicker though.

-Jeffinslaw

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
Alright, giving this pizza another try. I modified the formulation though. The percents below are for two, 13 oz balls (divided into one, 14oz outer and one 12oz inner).

Flour (100%) - 483g
Water (50%) - 241g
IDY (.5%) - 2.41g
Salt (1.75%) - 8.45g
Olive Oil (3%) - 15g
Sugar (.5%) - 2.41g

So you will notice that I increased the hydration 5%. This helped immensely when forming the dough into a ball to put in the fridge. I also followed the mixing instructions up to the "mix on medium for 6 minutes." I kneaded for 5 minutes instead because I feared I would destroy the mixer if I used the paddle to mix the dough for longer than incorporating the oil.

Will report back to let you guys know how the dough is doing!

-Jeffinslaw

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »
Ooh that's a great idea! Sous vide dough, I like it :) I love my Anova, it's an excellent tool to have. I was able to get the dough somewhat rolled out. I could not for the life of me get the top piece rolled out to the correct size so I just laid it over the top of the stuffings and folded the inner dough back on top of it. It did taste great but I would definitely like the dough to be a little thicker though.

-Jeffinslaw

sous vide dough? that sounds like a sealed-bag explosion waiting to happen.
** update - ok, if you're just warming up your dough for a few minutes, but long term could be an issue.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:26:56 PM by vcb »
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2016, 08:05:34 PM »
This dough was MUCH easier to roll out! And there was plenty of it for the pan as well. Will post some pictures later!

-Jeffinslaw

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
Can't believe it has been over a month! Wow... anyways, here are those pictures I mentioned.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:25:54 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 11:19:02 PM »
Crust looks real nice, so does entire pie...

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:54 AM »
Crust looks real nice, so does entire pie...

+1.  This is my go to recipe now as well.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2016, 05:00:05 PM »
If i wanted to take this formula in post #1 and modify it for another pan size what would be the rough TF # of the dough?

Offline Pauley

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2016, 11:28:07 PM »
What is the brand/type of pan you are using?  I am gonna start making deep dish in our pizzeria soon. All I've used at home are CM 9" cake pans, but need something different.

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »
I tried making my 1st chicago deep dish pizza tonight and couldn't be happier with the results.  My family loved it and my father in law said i'm spoiling them haha.  I also made 3 other pizza's tonight too.

I used the formula from Jeff's #47 post.  I don't have a true deep dish pizza pan, but that's going to change after tonight.  I used a 9" cake pan that we have, and modified the recipe to come up with 2 dough balls for that size of pan.

Had it stuffed with pepperoni and a 50 / 50 blend of mozzarella and provolone.
I also made a small cinnamon sugar dessert pizza with the excess trimmings of the balls after i got them in the pan.

The pic of the slice isn't the greatest, but it was pretty much all eaten before i could take a pic of it.

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 10:56:37 PM »
Had a post typed up but the forum ate it... let's try this again...

Had a hankering for a stuffed deep dish last week. Used the formulation I posted awhile ago. This time I made some changes to the cheese: shredded a pound of skim milk mozzarella and added a half of a pound each of provolone and white sharp cheddar. I also browned/par-cooked some ground sausage on high heat since I am not a fan of the texture you get when you cook sausage in cheese. The pie turned out excellent! However, the sides pulled away from the pan quite a bit and therefore didn't brown at all. Any ideas why that might have happened?

Enjoy the attached pictures!

-Jeffinslaw

*EDIT* Pictures won't attach...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:01:35 PM by Jeffinslaw »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 11:29:30 PM »
Did you put shortening on the sides of your pan Jeff?
Did you pat out cold dough in your pan?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jeffinslaw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »
Did you put shortening on the sides of your pan Jeff?
Did you pat out cold dough in your pan?

Yep! Butter flavored Crisco in the pan and up the sides. The dough is too hard to pat out so I rolled it out, forked the hell out of it because I couldn't find my dough docker, and then laid it in the pan.

-Jeffinslaw

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2019, 12:41:32 AM »
 :-shouldn't be that elastic/tough.... Did you allow dough to sit out on counter and warm up a bit?  Did you reball shortly before trying to make your pizza?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"