A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Burts/Pequods  (Read 91342 times)

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Burts/Pequods
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »
Spelling correction: the brand is Kretschmar pepperoni.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 01:01:15 PM by vcb »
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2019, 07:22:25 PM »
Thank you VCB for sharing

Can I ask what PANS are you using and do you use oil in the pan?

Sorry, I just saw this...

PANS? I'm using a collection of anodized/aluminized AMCO steel straight sided pans (I have 2- 12inch and one 14 inch), and I've got some unidentified 10 and 12 inch slant-sided seasoned steel pans that I picked up from the now closed KRASNY restaurant supply shop that used to be on Clybourn. The Krasny pans were purchased with this sticky oil coating on them that had to be baked in (seasoned) before use.
Oh, and then there's my 9 inch Wilton non-stick cake pan, which is good for the toaster oven.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #242 on: September 22, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
Not sure it's been covered anywhere here but Pequod's uses Gold Medal King Wheat BLEACHED and MALTED flour.  I'll go back into my hole now.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2019, 09:05:27 PM »
Not sure it's been covered anywhere here but Pequod's uses Gold Medal King Wheat BLEACHED and MALTED flour.  I'll go back into my hole now.

Loo

Ok, thanks loo.  :chef:

See you next time you come up for air and sunshine! 🌞
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Wengerski

• Extra Large, Double Sausage
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
For those who are figuring out what kind of pan Burt's and Pequods uses, I recently had a conversation with the current owner of Burt's Place.

They use a 16 Gauge Tin-Coated Steel Pan with a tapered edge.

Then, to season their pans, they fill the pan with tons of garlic, onion, Lots of salt and pepper, and corn oil, then burn the hell out of everything, then scrape the burnt stuff off.

Then, they re-season once with corn oil to solidify the coating.

I have slowly been developing a relationship with the owner to learn how to make their pizzas.

I just want to eat pizza.

Offline Wengerski

« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »
Also desperately looking for a Burt's/Pequod's Sauce Recipe. My sauces always end up too acidic and take away from the overall flavor of the pie.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2019, 07:33:57 AM »
Also desperately looking for a Burt's/Pequod's Sauce Recipe. My sauces always end up too acidic and take away from the overall flavor of the pie.

Did you already try the ones that have been posted here and found them wanting?

If not, you can locate them easily by looking them up in the deep dish formulations sticky.  I know Ed/vcb posted one.  PizzaGarage, too.  Prolly others as well.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:35:42 AM by Garvey »

Offline thunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #247 on: October 29, 2019, 10:32:38 AM »
For those who are figuring out what kind of pan Burt's and Pequods uses, I recently had a conversation with the current owner of Burt's Place.

Then, to season their pans, they fill the pan with tons of garlic, onion, Lots of salt and pepper, and corn oil, then burn the hell out of everything, then scrape the burnt stuff off.

I have slowly been developing a relationship with the owner to learn how to make their pizzas.

Wild!  Look forward to more information.  Thanks

Offline ATLBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #248 on: November 21, 2019, 08:40:56 PM »

Well I tried it out.  First attempt was not very successful.  I put a bunch of sliced onion, crush garlic, salt, pepper and oil in the pan.  Second attempt I put it all in a good processor until it was a paste and then covered the pans.  It was definitely the look I wanted but I donít think it added any flavor to the crust.

Offline zihuatanejo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »
I've knocked out a bunch of Quod clones since I found this forum, but I just feel like I'm missing something. My main issue is the crust itself. I think I've read through this thread 2-3 times, but I figured it was finally time to ask some questions.

The last time I was at Pequod's the one thing I noticed was how crispy/oily the bottom seemed, like it was fried. It was amazing as usual.

When I attempt my own at home I don't seem to have much of a problem caramelizing the cheese, but the crust seems too dense and the bottom is not crispy.

I've tried different temps, different positions in the oven, I tried adding more oil/less oil to the bottom of pan before I put the dough in, but nothing helps.

Thoughts?
-What kind of oil does everyone grease the pan with?
- How much?
- Should I be letting the dough rise in the pan longer?
- Does gas vs electric oven make a difference? My oven is bottom gas fired.

Thanks.

Offline colebg

« Reply #250 on: December 24, 2019, 09:22:18 PM »
came across this video on youtube featuring pequods showing them making the pizza. they use salt and pepper in the dough. Seems like they don't give the dough much resting time which might explain why I don't stomach there pizza very well.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:45:31 PM by colebg »

Offline Wengerski

« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2020, 12:08:38 AM »
I'm from the Chicagoland area and I frequent Burt's about 1-2 a month.

Hopefully my previous comments on their seasoning methods and pans were a help to some. 

A few secrets after a few extensive conversations about how he learned to make the pies from Burt before he passed:

They use Stanislaus Full Red Pizza Sauce with Basil, then add fresh chopped basil: about a cup for #10 Can. Nothing Else.
Layer the cheese about 1/3 overlapping for every slice.
The Mozzarella should only come up about 1/3 to 1/2 up the side of the pan, not all the way up.
They use Gold Medal King Wheat Bleached Enriched Malted Flour in the dough.

He was a little tougher to budge on dough recipes. From my personal Experience in making the dough, this is the recipe that I find to be the most accurate.

For a 14" Pie
100% Flour - 425g (you need a 2" deep pan for this. if you are stuck with a 1.5" deep pan, go for 385g.) Burt's is quite thick.
59% Water
5% Corn Oil or Vegetable Oil
2.15 % IDY
1% Sugar
1% Salt

After kneading, let it rise in the pan covered in plastic wrap for 2 hours, then form the dough to the pan. After spreading the dough, let it rest for another hour to 1.5 hours. I find that with anymore than that, it becomes over proofed.

600F for 20 Min. Pan oiled with Corn oil.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:11:55 AM by Wengerski »

Offline gomike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2020, 12:26:16 AM »

Hopefully my previous comments on their seasoning methods and pans were a help to some. 

A few secrets after a few extensive conversations about how he learned to make the pies from Burt before he passed:

They use Stanislaus Full Red Pizza Sauce with Basil, then add fresh chopped basil: about a cup for #10 Can. Nothing Else.
Layer the cheese about 1/3 overlapping for every slice.
The Mozzarella should only come up about 1/3 to 1/2 up the side of the pan, not all the way up.
They use Gold Medal King Wheat Bleached Enriched Malted Flour in the dough.

He was a little tougher to budge on dough recipes. From my personal Experience in making the dough, this is the recipe that I find to be the most accurate.

For a 14" Pie
100% Flour - 425g (you need a 2" deep pan for this. if you are stuck with a 1.5" deep pan, go for 385g.) Burt's is quite thick.
59% Water
5% Corn Oil or Vegetable Oil
2.15 % IDY
1% Sugar
1% Salt

After kneading, let it rise in the pan covered in plastic wrap for 2 hours, then form the dough to the pan. After spreading the dough, let it rest for another hour to 1.5 hours. I find that with anymore than that, it becomes over proofed.

600F for 20 Min. Pan oiled with Corn oil.

Hope this helps.
Would love to see pictures of each step.  Great post

Offline briansemerick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »

Thanks man!  I love Burt's, and Pequod's.  Just had Pequod's last night actually (order it to go, pickup at the valet, uncut)

I've been speaking to Burt's on fb.  I got the tin plated steel (they won't give me their guy but I got American Metalcraft) and I did a couple seasonings and showed them.  They said "Looks good .. use oil, salt   Smear minced garlic"

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 12:58:24 PM by briansemerick »

Offline Wengerski

« Reply #254 on: March 10, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »
Extremely happy with tonight's result. I would argue it apart from my lack of an oven that can get hot enough, this is pretty much it.

14" Pan Tapered Edge

415g AP Flour
60% Hydration
2% IDY
6% Corn Oil
1.25% Sugar
.75% Salt

Cheese:
Aldi Brand Part-Skim Low Moisture Mozzarella (IMO best readily available brand everywhere)

Sauce:
1 #10 Can Pizzaiolo Autentico
1 #10 Can Full Red Pizza Sauce with Basil
2 Tbsp Dried Basil
2 Tbsp Dried Oregano
1 Tbsp Marjoram
1 Tbsp Thyme
1/4 Chopped Fresh Basil

Sausage:
1 pkg Johnsonville Sweet
1 Tbsp Fennel Seed
2 Cloved Minced and Mashed Garlic

Topping
Fresh Grated Romano
Dried Oregano

500F for 20-22 Minutes

Offline -HAZARD-

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »
Wengerski,

How different are Burt's & Peaquod's from each other? I understand Peaquod's came from Burt's, but is there a distinctive taste difference between the two pizzas?

You did not mention Pizzaiolo Authentico or dry herbs in the sauce recipe in your post from January 26, where you say you got the information directly from the owner of Burt's, yet you added it in for your bake on March 10th with other ingredients following more to what Peaquod's is doing.

Is there really no Pizzaiolo Authentic or dried herb ingredients in Burt's like there is in Peaquod's?

You are not putting pepper in your dough?

Offline Wengerski

« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2020, 11:54:07 PM »
-HAZARD-,

I visited Burt's again recently, and upon more conversation with the owner, he gave a little more information. He mentioned that they combine 2 different sauces with theirs and add in some extra seasoning and some basil. I deducted that they combine Pizzaiolo and Full Red. Tried it out, and the taste was straight spot on. the sauce recipe above it pretty much it.

In regard to Burt's vs. Pequod's I believe its more so about the preparation and attention to detail rather than it being about the difference of flavor, and Burt's does a substantially better job at maintaining a standard, while Pequod's frequently overcooks their pies and does pay much attention or care to the building and preparation. They do have very different sausage recipes, though, Pequod's is very fennel seed forward while Burt's has lots of garlic in it.

Regarding dough, there are only minor differences, they both use King Wheat Bleached/Enriched, but minor differences in seasoning. I am much more familiar with Burt's crust than pequod's, and Burt's is a simple straight forward dough with no added pepper or dried herbs.

Since the last post I made a few adjustments, Tasted very accurate, and the addition of OO really added something.

Like everyone on here, I constantly changing and tweaking to find the perfect recipe.

100% Flour
60% Water
2% IDY
6% Corn Oil
1% Olive Oil
1% Sugar
1% Salt

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #257 on: March 17, 2020, 12:22:32 AM »
I never thought much about either one... hit or miss over hyped. Lousy customer service....ect.  $$
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Wengerski

« Reply #258 on: March 17, 2020, 12:37:49 AM »
Burt's is extremely consistent. A go to. For Lou's I find that they're very inconsistent between stores, the original Location in Lincolnwood is by far the best and most consistent. Everywhere else I've gotten a wide range of quality.

Offline AdamCAdamC

• Supporting Member
  • PIE OR DIE
    • Maplewood Brewing Company
« Reply #259 on: March 22, 2020, 01:57:50 PM »
Hey all, thanks for all the tips on the Burts/Pequods style on this and a few of the other threads out there. I took a few stabs at over the last few months, the base recipe is kinda a mashup of a bunch of what you all are doing. I have been working on tweaking the fermentation profile.  I really like the results and crust flavor with a 24-hr cold ferment (although it seems a bit different than from what's actually done at Burts/Pequods -- but tastes great). Cheers!

PIE OR DIE