A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: all-purpose vs 00 for neopolitan?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
all-purpose vs 00 for neopolitan?
« on: June 29, 2017, 09:46:27 PM »
My sense in reading a lot of old posts is that most feel caputo 00 is better than all-purpose flour for Neapolitan pies. However, there's a minority who believe ap flour is just as good as 00 or perhaps, if not quite as good, that one can make excellent neo with AP.

what is the current thinking on this topic? My preference is something like GM AP or KAAP as it's widely available, less expensive and grown/milled in the  U.S. (Actually, not sure on that last point)
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: all-purpose vs 00 for neopolitan?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 11:21:53 PM »
At what temperature are we baking at for the comparison?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 11:47:42 PM »
>=900F on a blackstone
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:50:46 AM »
AP can't take that kind of heat, caputo 00 is more expensive but is the RIGHT flour. Get some of each and run a test. Both can make great pies but at that level of heat they are not interchangeable, and at lower temp 00 will not work as well as AP or HG.....my 2c
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:58:30 AM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:57:51 AM »
Btw, GM does make a hi temp knock off of 00 flour, imo not as good but FAR better than AP. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25618.0

https://www.generalmillscf.com/products/category/flour/other/gold-medal-neapolitan-50lb
So there's some food for thought and some reading for you!

Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 03:37:55 AM »
Not all AP is malted. My local grocery chain brand of AP flour isn't and makes a respectable NP.

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:55:11 AM »
Gold Medal Organic All Purpose Flour works fine for Neapolitan pies.  It is not malted and readily available in 5 lb bags, at least here in Denver.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:14:11 AM »
The only unmalted AP I've tried that I really didn't like is the Peter Pan they sell at Restaurant Depot. It has a strange smell and taste.

I'll throw this out there too. You can make a decent NP with KAAP. It's not a great choice, but it can be made to work. You just really have to mind your P's and Q's. I won't say the same thing for other malted flours - Superlative as an example. In my experience they simply don't work, so maybe KAAP is less malted.

Here is one from 2011 - the last time I used KAAP to make NP if that says anything...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
thanks for all the suggestions! In thinking about this, I should probably make it easy on myself and source some caputo 00 while learning. if I can get the hang of it and the taste profile memorized, I'll move to ap.  If our local RD doesn't carry caputo, I'm sure it can be found somewhere in NYC or, as a last resort, I can order one of the repacks on amazon.

craig, I'd be thrilled to get something looking like that using any flour...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:00:20 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 01:26:43 AM »
In the GM NP Hearth flour thread I linked, I think there is the name of the salesman that handled it and some of us got 50 pound bags shipped to us!!!! I was floored expecting and asking for only 5-10 pounds to try AND asking for a price to pay for. Nope, sent it for nothing. I post this not to have to have you look for a freebee but to reach out for a small sample or where in your area it could be purchased. Maybe the GM site could give you purchasing locals too. Well worth your effort to give it a try. As I remember Craig liked it back then too, as did Norma and others. Some still preferred the Caputo styles in the long run.
Jon

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 04:13:52 PM »
thanks jackitup, I did read the thread and noted the generosity of the GM sales rep. I've never made a neopolitan pie or fired up my blackstone, I'm thinking my best course of action is to start with a known standard, Caputo 00,  get to the point where I'm producing something I like and then start experimenting with other, less expensive and easier to source, flours. Given my long, slow and tortuous learning curve with NY pizza, I'm guessing it will be  a year or so (I bake twice per month due to calorie concerns) until I''m ready to start branching out.

best,

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:34:13 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »
Sounds like a good plan. I am by NO stretch at expert at any, but fair at a few styles. Many here like Craig, Peter and others have delved far deeper than me and are more in touch with alll the different flours and how they work under different conditions!
Jon

Offline Buckaroobanzai

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 05:59:25 PM »
I'm using a steel base with a pizza stone above it as a home kitchen oven. My pizza cooks well enough but the pie is always a little too breadlike. Is this my tossing skills? Or the quality of my flour. I'm using bread flour.

Offline Buckaroobanzai

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
Base of pizza

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 10:45:07 PM »
Would need a spread of your recipe/formula you are using and a description of your workflow to get a better picture of what to adjust
Jon