A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My New York Journey  (Read 753 times)

Offline txraddoc

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
My New York Journey
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:21:21 PM »
I started on this pat several months ago with an undercooked bready pizza that tasted exactly like that.  I feel like I've made pretty good progress thanks to the info on this site.  Today, I made a New York style thin crust pizza using the recipe below.

My mixing regimen goes like this.  I put the water, sugar, salt, and DMP into miy mixer (KA 600).  I whisk this together.  I add flour on top and yeast on top of the flour.  I mix everything with a rubber scraper until all flour is incorporated.  Then I add oil on top and mix for 5 minutes in the KA until the dough is smooth.  It comes out of the mixer, is balled and put into a container and directly into the refrigerator at 38F for 24 hours.  The FDT was 77 degrees.

Today, stretched the skin to 14" and was able to toss it a bit.  Yay!  I baked it in the Blackstone for 3 minutes.  The bottom stone temp was 650-675 when I launched.  I had to take it out at three minutes as the crust was very brown.

It tasted great.  The crust was soft and tender with just a bit of crunch.  I topped it with 7.5 oz of 7/11, 7 oz mozz, giant pepperoni, parmigiano reggiano, and fresh basil.  Next time, I'll reduce the sugar and or the DMP so it won't brown so quickly.  Overall, I was very happy with it and now I'm full!  I'd appreciate and suggestions.  Thanks!

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: My New York Journey
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 12:31:36 AM »
Nice!

I'd say you don't need to *improve* on it, it looks really solid, just explore the results with different bakes -- launch at 550-600, go for a ~5 minute bake for more crunch, etc. Again, nice job!
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:25:22 PM »
I have had great results with the Non Lehman Pizza Shark Formula.   I have reduced to 60 % hydration as you  are doing.  I am using the pretty close to your formula with increased yeast content.   I have made pies with this dough in 24 hours and as long at 72 hours.  I experienced no difference.  My goal is a very thin pie with no ramp.  I get that every time.  I use a blackstone as well at your temps.  You are not tossing this dough.  It talks at least 6 minutes to get done.  If you are using a IR Thermometer.  Not the gauge on the oven.    But what prompted me to respond here is the mixing procedure of your method and Pizza Shark.   First of all as a Winemaker, a yeast culture needs to be made with the sugar , 110 degree water , and yeast for at least ten minutes where it becomes foamy.  Then you add some of the oil. while you have already added the salt to the flour and dmp. And as Pizza Shark says you add the flour at intervals.   My experience I have doubled the times he cites.   I like the results if you like  a thin pie.

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
Beautiful pies txraddoc!

I have had great results with the Non Lehman Pizza Shark Formula.     First of all as a Winemaker, a yeast culture needs to be made with the sugar , 110 degree water , and yeast for at least ten minutes where it becomes foamy.  Then you add some of the oil. while you have already added the salt to the flour and dmp. And as Pizza Shark says you add the flour at intervals.   My experience I have doubled the times he cites.   I like the results if you like  a thin pie.

fiorat, I'm not familiar with the pizzashark's recipe/workflow but there's no need to activate yeast if using IDY.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:33:06 AM by quietdesperation »
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline txraddoc

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:12:17 PM »
Here's todays pie. I altered the recipe to include only 1% LDMP and launched with a bottom stone temp of about 600-625.  The IR thermometer jumps up and down a bunch but this was the general range (about 50 degrees less than the previous attempt).  This dough was fermented for only 17 hours with a 1.5 hour room temperature rise (75F) to start and it worked out very well.  I also used a 20 minute autolyse with 138g water and 138g flour.  Then added everything else after the autolyse.

The dough was easy to work with and I was able to toss it a bit.  It was not overly elastic or extensible. 

I topped this with provolone and torn pepperoni quarters.  Iím really liking the rustic look with an evenly lightly browned crust and char spots.  The edges of the pepperoni crisped up nicely and I like it that way. 

This is the first time Iíve used Parmigiano Reggiano and wow Iím not going back to domestic parmesan.  A little fresh basil rounded it out and it tasted great!

Next maybe Iíll slightly bump up the hydration to 61% to get a little more oven spring.  Though, Iím liking a thinner rim though so we will see.

Thanks to everyone here.  Everything that anyone would ever need to know to make fabulous pizza is on this site. 

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:48:55 PM »
great stuff! you might want to try a little sugar, maybe 1%. also, craig wrote about making  calabrian chili oil here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19368.0

If you don't want to grow your own peppers as craig does, you'll find members using bottled Calabrian peppers and paste to good effect (which is what I do). It will add another layer of flavor to your pizza, IMO, definitely worth a try.
A wondrous sweet

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:56:02 PM »
Beautiful pies txraddoc!

fiorat, I'm not familiar with the pizzashark's recipe/workflow but there's no need to activate yeast if using IDY.
I just follow his workflow and I can't help myself making a yeast culture.  Winemaking rules the brain here.  But I am making really thin pies doing  this.

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »
I just follow his workflow and I can't help myself making a yeast culture.  Winemaking rules the brain here. 

:), winemaking must be fun, why not start a thread here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=58.0

I'd love to see what you're doing and I'm sure other members feel the same.
A wondrous sweet

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »
I just follow his workflow and I can't help myself making a yeast culture.  Winemaking rules the brain here.  But I am making really thin pies doing  this.

I make wine as well, but that's a very different world than baking.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »
I make wine as well, but that's a very different world than baking.
I find no downside making a culture with IDY    Is there one?  On the positive side you get to see if your yeast is healthy as the culture develops.  As for the Pizza Shark method warm water, sugar and IDY are cultured for 10 minutes.  In a KA Bowl which was prior heated with hot water.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:31:26 PM by Fiorot »

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 03:41:30 PM »
:), winemaking must be fun, why not start a thread here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=58.0

I'd love to see what you're doing and I'm sure other members feel the same.
I would not know where to start.    But if you are interested you can go here  WWW.WestchesterWinemakers.com it is a blog for winemakers I host.

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
Cool! We live in westchster! We used to sorta work in the wine business, established and operated the website for PJs (pjwine.com) in inwood. Attended industry tastings, helped decide what wine to bring into store and owner was good enough to arrange wine related travel.
A wondrous sweet

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 03:04:26 PM »
John

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 05:50:33 PM »
Cool! We live in westchster! We used to sorta work in the wine business, established and operated the website for PJs (pjwine.com) in inwood. Attended industry tastings, helped decide what wine to bring into store and owner was good enough to arrange wine related travel.
The Team crush begins in September.  You are more than welcome to come by for a visit or even join us if you desire to make wine.  PM me your email and info and I will add you to our email list.  I can explain how we operate if your are interested.   Last year we crushed only 6 tons down from 8 the previous year.   You can search through the blog for more information.  We have all the equipment of a Micro Winery.   Looking forward to hearing from you.  Hey on Crush and Press Days we both can make Pies on the Black Stone for the boys !!!!