A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: More flavour in dough  (Read 337544 times)

Offline Josh123

Re: More flavour in dough
« Reply #3400 on: April 03, 2018, 11:21:42 PM »
This post is just to say Mack's Pizza thinks the slices I posted on Instagram look delicious.  Since Mack's Pizza was my first love in pizza, it is a high honor that Mack's Pizza would comment something like that.  :) Learned a lot from Mack's Pizza on how to make a decent pizza. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BglSBJ2n4KA/?hl=en&taken-by=normaspizza

mackspizza does like or comments on a lot of the pizzas I make.

mackspizza on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/mackspizza/?hl=en

Videos of how fast Mack's Pizza can dress a pizza.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWGBXKKh9fq/?hl=en&taken-by=mackspizza

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUj9s8mhsyF/?hl=en&taken-by=mackspizza

And Jesse opening and spinning a dough.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTzK0O5BKzt/?hl=en&taken-by=mackspizza

Hope to get to talk to Jesse the next time I visit Mack's.  Don't think any wig or sunglasses will help if get to talk to Jesse.  Jesse has seen way too many photos of me on Instagram by now.  :-D

Norma

Crazy how effortless the guy at Macks gets the pizza off the board. Especially with sauce and cheese splattered everywhere

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3401 on: April 03, 2018, 11:32:45 PM »
Crazy how effortless the guy at Macks gets the pizza off the board. Especially with sauce and cheese splattered everywhere

I'm paranoid about getting anything on the board because I've been f.....d any time it's happened.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3402 on: April 04, 2018, 06:10:33 AM »

norma and peter,

I don't need to make frozen dough balls but recall reading a lot of that thread, it almost read like a detective story! In the end, it boiled down to adding .5% to norma's formulation?

QD.

Yes, it did boil down to adding .5% IDY to my formulation.  Lol about it almost reading like a detective story, but things to need to be figured out and other frozen doughs balls needed to be taken into consideration to be able to have the frozen dough balls be successful.  In the end they turned out better than I expected. 

Maybe Peter can chime in on his thoughts.  Just like making pizzas can give so many different results, so can frozen dough balls.  Just to give an example used some frozen dough balls this past Friday for something special.  I am still scratching my head in why 2 out of 3 of them did not work out very good.  ??? All 3 were from the same batch of dough and frozen and thawed exactly the same.  The oven at market was heated up the same amount of time as on Tuesday's.  Two of the pizzas wanted to burn on the bottom crust till the top was finished.  The one pizza the rim crust wasn't even browned enough.  Those frozen dough balls were from last Tuesday's dough though and didn't have .5% IDY.  Just the normal amount of IDY.   The previous Tuesday's I used some leftover frozen dough balls with the regular amount of IDY.  They worked out fine.  It would take a dough detective to be able to figure out why those dough balls didn't want to work.   :-D

John offered some helpful thoughts on why they might not have worked good, but in the end neither of us could figure out what went wrong except dough is a living thing.   ::)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3403 on: April 04, 2018, 06:23:14 AM »

Josh,

I agree that it is crazy how that guy at Mack's gets the pizza off of the board with the sauce and cheese splattered everywhere.  Frank Giaquinto could also get almost any kind of pizza off of the board with hardly any flour/rice flour on the board, even if the skin was oiled. 

I was quite shocked this past Friday when my great-grandchildren made a pizza at market (ages 2 and 8).  Someone was filming that event, and the opening the dough and dressing it by my great-grandchildren took a very long time.  To add to that amount of time the person filming wanted to keep taking retakes. Whole process took about 20 minutes.  I thought on no the pizza will not be able to go into the oven after that long time on the peel and the extra tomato sauce added in not a regular amount.  I grabbed the peel and let my older great-granddaughter grab the peel behind my hand, so she would not get burnt when trying to slide the pie into the oven.  I quickly jerked my wrist and the pie sure wasn't perfectly round but it did go into the oven.   :o

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3404 on: April 04, 2018, 06:25:52 AM »
I'm paranoid about getting anything on the board because I've been f.....d any time it's happened.

jkb,

That has happened to me different times too.   :-D

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3405 on: April 04, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
QD,

Where Norma and I played around the most with frozen dough balls was in the Mellow Mushroom thread. At the time, MM made both fresh dough balls and frozen dough balls. The fresh dough was for their stores near Atlanta, where their commissary was located. The frozen dough balls were for everywhere else. So we tested IDY amounts for both frozen and fresh. At the time, we had nutrition and other information about the MM dough but there is no way that I am aware of to determine how much yeast is used from nutrition information. But we knew from what Tom Lehmann has said for years that you had to increase the amount of yeast for frozen dough balls because of the damage that freezing does to yeast. Typically, one might double or even triple the normal amount of yeast (for unfrozen dough). So, we found about 0.60% IDY to be a reasonable amount of IDY to use for the frozen MM clone dough balls, and maybe about half that for fresh clone dough.

At the time, we were playing around with the frozen MM clone dough balls in a typical home setting with a standard refrigerator freezer compartment (although I believe Norma may have been using a freezer that does not automatically defrost from time to time). Also, in my case I made single dough balls. Apparently, Norma has found 0.50% IDY to work at market for many dough balls. Also, unlike the MM clone dough balls, which contained a lot of molasses, Norma apparently can use lower than the 0.60% IDY that we tested.

Peter

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #3406 on: April 18, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
I just made some pizza with the formula you gave me.

It was literally perfect, i'm not sugar coating or anything. It was spot on.

My brother is the most unforgiving pizza critic, usually he eats half a slice to 1 slice.

Tonight he ate 3!

I let it warm and rise for 4 hours, bake time was 7min 10secs.

Photos are on film, so results will be a while
your formula is a staple.

I know it's weird to quote myself, but I just realized I still had film that's been in the freezer for over a year undeveloped. I plan on sending them out soon.
They're photos of pizza I made a while back.