A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How do I make this more into a NY pie?  (Read 593 times)

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
How do I make this more into a NY pie?
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:02:57 PM »
So I follow the dough calculator for NY style.  I used Pendalton power flour(Can't find All Trumps on west coast?); bulk fermented for 48 hr total.

The pie calculation I used was for 14" and this is a 14" pie.  My only thinking is that it could be stretched more (The crust) but my peel board/stone are 14 inch max.

But what else can I do to make this more NY style? Any feedback is appreciated!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: How do I make this more into a NY pie?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:33:20 PM »
Looking good. How big is the serving tray it's on? With practice it'll come out more round.

How much cheese are you using? A little more may work, depending on your preference.

Flavor wise, parmesan and/or romano can add a big boost.

Lastly, this is my preference, but I don't put anything green on top  :chef:

Matt

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »
Looking good. How big is the serving tray it's on? With practice it'll come out more round.

How much cheese are you using? A little more may work, depending on your preference.

Flavor wise, parmesan and/or romano can add a big boost.

Lastly, this is my preference, but I don't put anything green on top  :chef:

I don't measure how much cheese I put on, but probably should start doing that. 

The round pan is 14".  I definitely need to work on perfecting my rounding of the pie.  The taste was good.  I will look to add some grated parm on the next one.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:27:45 PM »
For NY style I like to press the rim out til there's barely one there. It will puff up enough in the oven.

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »
So I follow the dough calculator for NY style.  I used Pendalton power flour(Can't find All Trumps on west coast?); bulk fermented for 48 hr total.

The pie calculation I used was for 14" and this is a 14" pie.  My only thinking is that it could be stretched more (The crust) but my peel board/stone are 14 inch max.

But what else can I do to make this more NY style? Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks for the tip! I will do this tonight on my next pie!  Honestly, I think my crust is what keeps me guessing why I can't get the NY look down (like in your profile picture).  I think there is 2 issues:

1) Like you said, I should press down more on the edges for a thinner crust.

2) My bake time is 8 mins, because I am only use 1/4" steel at 550.  I think a true NY will be cooked faster and get less browning. 

Do you agree with #2?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »
I didn't want to steer you initially to what I consider a typical slice as I wanted to see what you were trying to achieve. It seems like we're both trying to get to the same place. I agree with making the rim smaller. Pushing it down a bit should help, as will saucing closer to the edge. Remember that the rim will get bigger (double?) when it cooks.

I agree with getting less browning. 8 minutes is not unusually long though. It could be a combination of your dough and bake protocol. You could just try lowering the temp to 525.

Edit: here's a link to one of my pies so you can see where I'm coming from. 7:30 bake.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46482.msg494184#msg494184

Edit 2, based on Ryan's question below. I assumed you meant too much browning on the top of the rim crust.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:33:52 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I will do this tonight on my next pie!  Honestly, I think my crust is what keeps me guessing why I can't get the NY look down (like in your profile picture).  I think there is 2 issues:

1) Like you said, I should press down more on the edges for a thinner crust.

2) My bake time is 8 mins, because I am only use 1/4" steel at 550.  I think a true NY will be cooked faster and get less browning. 

Do you agree with #2?

Do you mean less browning on top of the pizza or under?  My typical NY style bake is 8-10 minutes. For me it takes that long to get that nice even golden brown foldable New York undercrust. Keep in mind the slices in my pic are off a 17" pizza, I do find it more difficult to get that NY look with smaller pizzas.

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
I didn't want to steer you initially to what I consider a typical slice as I wanted to see what you were trying to achieve. It seems like we're both trying to get to the same place. I agree with making the rim smaller. Pushing it down a bit should help, as will saucing closer to the edge. Remember that the rim will get bigger (double?) when it cooks.

I agree with getting less browning. 8 minutes is not unusually long though. It could be a combination of your dough and bake protocol. You could just try lowering the temp to 525.

Edit: here's a link to one of my pies so you can see where I'm coming from. 7:30 bake.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46482.msg494184#msg494184

Edit 2, based on Ryan's question below. I assumed you meant too much browning on the top of the rim crust.

Yes, Exactly, I meant to much browning on the crust (top) of the pie.  Love your pics!  Exactly what I am going for!  Thanks!

Offline Josh123

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »
Pop the bubbles, press out the rim, and sauce and cheese very close to edge. More cheese as well.

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »
Please provide feedback. 

This is only a 14" as I had left over dough.  It's 5 days fermented I believe.  I started drizzling with EVOO before the bake as I saw Bedia does this. 

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:28 PM »
I like that a lot!   :drool:

How did it eat?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:44:52 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:49 AM »
I like that a lot!   :drool:

How did it eat?

One of my best yet! Thanks for the encouragement!

wordpress