A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Heikjo's first attempt at NY style Lehmann (12" on stone)  (Read 3977 times)

Online Heikjo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Heikjo's first attempt at NY style Lehmann (12" on stone)
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
Haven't been making much pizza for a while since we've been moving and renovating the kitchen, but I'm about to be on track again.

I was pretty happy where I left off. Today I've got a new oven that I'm quite happy with. It goes to 280C on over/under heating and 300C on large grill.

One thing I've been wanting to ask is about the flour and water relationship. I'm not using high-gluten flour. I'm using the flour with the highest protein level I've found in Norway, which is 13g. On Lehmann's dough calculator, it says:

Note: For high-gluten flour, hydration should be 58 - 65% (63% is recommended)
For bread flour, a lower hydration level is sometimes advised (56 - 64%)

Now, I've been increasing the hydration and been using 66% for a while. This has worked out fine, but what would happen if I went the other way? It was Tom who adviced the increase, so I have no reason to doubt him, but why is lower hydration recommended for bread flour?

I'll be making two balls today with 0.1 thickness factor rather than 0.105 as I've used before. It won't be today, but when I remember it, I'll try making the dough a two or three days before baking to see how that goes.

I've thought about ordering some King Arthur flour online. It'll be pricey, but would be interesting to test. I'm using bread flour with 13% protein according to the package. In older posts, KASL was hailed as the king, but in later posts I see a switch to bread flour. Perhaps there's not much difference after all then.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:26:41 PM by Heikjo »

Online Heikjo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Heikjo's first attempt at NY style Lehmann (12" on stone)
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 08:24:16 AM »
More of the same really. I still find the crust and maybe also bottom too chewy. I'm aiming for something softer that you don't need to really get your teeth out to work. I think I've gone a bit off track with the focus on crust size. I like an airy crust, but the texture is more important than size.

A little list of things I want to try:

- Lower hydration (58-62%), like Takrom did here
- Doubling the dough amount for better kneading in the mixer, letting half the balls sit in the fridge 3-4 days
- Testing different amounts of IDY
- Use this procedure for dough
- Testing different mixing times

A few pictures. I'm not very good at photographing pizzas. I just want to eat them right away. ;D Buffalo mozzarella, iberico ham, some parmesan and ruccola.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T