A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NEW YORK PIZZA OUTER BOROUGHS VIDEO BY FRANK PINELLO  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
Re: NEW YORK PIZZA OUTER BOROUGHS VIDEO BY FRANK PINELLO
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 08:39:48 AM »
I think I need a sandwich after watching this.
Yeah, I know Sicily isn't part of Italy.

Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 09:34:03 AM »
I've edited my post above to clarify that the slice I was referring to was from L'industrie. I've had extra cheese the way you described it, but what surprised me is that this place has cheese that way on seeeminlgly all of the red slices posted on yelp. Seems they specialize in "fancy" pizza as one yelper described it. The fig and goat cheese one was mentioned alot.

I"ve had L'industrie.  Super thin.  Yeah it's a fancy prepared slice, some French techniques, they use a pastry bag to squeeze out nice little shapes of ricotta. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:38:51 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »
Tell that to the guy in the video.

You forgot one, what sounds like Tuttarelle? and Tutarooo?

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 06:55:40 PM »
yeah, two guys that know each other can say that. try walking into a pizza place in bensonhurst and opening with "Hey, Gindaloon, give me a  slice".

also, his friend Vic is guilty of something that drives me crazy, dropping the last vowel off Italian words. Mozzarella becomes "Mozzarell". I'm sure he pronounces prosciutto "Prosciut". Maybe that's the way he heard it around him growing up but to my ear, it sounds like an affectation.

Nobody in NYC goes up to a person and says that.  In NYC, there's very little racism at all and none relative to other parts of the country.   I think when people can joke about things like this is a step in the right direction.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
I think I need a sandwich after watching this.
Yeah, I know Sicily isn't part of Italy.

They stole it from New York sicilians.  Trust me, there no Italian hero/hoagies/subs in Sicily till the tourist trade began.

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 08:48:35 PM »
You forgot one, what sounds like Tuttarelle? and Tutarooo?

Tourterelle. French for "turtle dove ". Guy talks so fast can't ***** understand what the **** he is saying.
Have a Dangerous day!

“They say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.”  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
Some Italian American for yous not from around here...

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:07:13 PM by Dangerous Salumi »
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 09:07:36 PM »
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
Being an Italian American myself (Sicilian on both sides), this cracks me up.  Gotta a good laugh.  So true!  Don't hear this anymore now that I live in LA.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:18:15 PM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 11:36:34 PM »
They stole it from New York sicilians.  Trust me, there no Italian hero/hoagies/subs in Sicily till the tourist trade began.

The bread in the video is called "Filone" and is Italy's version of the French baguette. The rolls are called "Filoncini". They've been around for a couple of centuries, at the very least.

You will not find American hoagies or subs in Italy, unless you go to a Subway.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 11:38:20 PM »
to my eye, both videos seem inauthentic...a well-spoken actor telling stories, at times using an Italian accent.

In NYC, there's very little racism at all.

get out of manhattan and there's plenty of racism in nyc.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:44:19 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »
Screenshot of Dani's. These type of pizzas is why I've been increasing my TF/dough weight. (Currently experimenting with 0.0925.) Frank even mentioned in the video that the slice has some weight to it.
Matt, thanks for posting those pics. Perfect examples of that I am trying to find out how to do.

I've been trying to get the self appointed experts/mud-slingers to expound on his/their pounding/slamming/slapping the dough mantrhetoric they've been shouting about to everyone with any air in their crumb. How to do it without the moisture coming out and picking up flour? How to do it without making the crust too leathery? (not meaning too chewy - there is a difference.) 

This pizza you show in the thread is not in my tool box. It's a perfect looking example of the thin, but heavy thing. I did one last night that came out very nicely. but still had too much spring between the rims. So far, the only things I've come up with are:
A: Shorter term dough.
B: Decreased hydrations
C: Decreased dough strength as a balance mechanism to counter the toughness I bestow upon my dough during mix.

A recent 53% hydration was a disaster, one of which lead to my toast thread. (thanks for replying, Ryan) I might try again with less mixing strength. It worked decently yesterday on a 54.5% effort and was by far my best same-day bake to date. that dough did go in the opposite direction than the Pizzeria dough ball I bought and played with, strength-wise.   

Another thing I might try is more counter rest time between dropping the dough out of the container into the flour and the slapping it about or otherwise working the dough. I'm thinking perhaps 10 minutes to dry out the fermentation juices or residual tackiness? I already do 2-3 minutes of rest after slapping the dough out to about 10 inches to allow it to temper. It dropped my big bubbles by 75%.

So, anyone have anything to offer on bake day degassing efforts and/or dough modifications needed to get there?

(ps - If you are thinking of using the blanket response about the KA mixer not being up to task, please don't. Adjustments can be made to make up for not having the best tool for the job. Right down to the smell of the dough. As right as you are about the deficiencies of the KA, the impossibility claim is very wrong.)

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »
Roy,

Have no idea about the dough/cheese/sauce weights at Best Pizza.

There are photo's of Best Pizzas on this thread.  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17070.0

I posted mine at reply 38 and the next posts.  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17070.msg166224#msg166224

Also posted some photo's at Best Pizza on another thread starting at Reply 10 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16573.msg161671#msg161671

Norma
Norma, thanks for the links. I wanted to let you know that the Joe's pics that you posted on reply #19, https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17070.msg166203#msg166203 inspired me to make one in that style last night. Pizzavanna. It's a minor mix adjustment paired with a minor dough management adjustment away from my normal regimen. I will do more often. It was a liberating experience.  8) 8)

Roy   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 11:13:55 AM »
Norma, thanks for the links. I wanted to let you know that the Joe's pics that you posted on reply #19, https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17070.msg166203#msg166203 inspired me to make one in that style last night. Pizzavanna. It's a minor mix adjustment paired with a minor dough management adjustment away from my normal regimen. I will do more often. It was a liberating experience.  8) 8)

Roy

Roy,

Glad those photos helped.  Thanks for telling us it was a minor dough management adjustment away from your normal regimen.  As far as I know Joe's doesn't do a longer ferment.

Norma

Offline Dangerous Salumi

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
Have a Dangerous day!

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 09:26:41 PM »
^^ imo, the video captures more negatives than positives. How about these:
You're not a real New Yorker until you've:
- Waited in a line with thousands of other people to give blood after the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil
- Watched the ball drop in times square
- Waited in line for chinese food at wo hop at 4am
- Attended Shakespeare in the Park
- Attended a drama on broadway that brought tears to your eyes
- Attended a comedy on broadway that made you laugh so much it brought tears to your eyes
- Sat at a communal table eating dim sum in chinatown
- Bought a sandwich and taken a round trip on the staten island ferry (passing the statue of liberty) during your lunch hour

and in honor of our shared interest:
- Eaten pizza in all five boroughs
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!

wordpress