A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 282376 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #920 on: March 11, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Have been working with TG's flour over the last month and it is getting better and better.

Have two dough balls going right now for a couple of 18" pies. One will be going in tonight, after a 24 hr rise and the other tomorrow.

Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #921 on: March 13, 2015, 01:40:03 PM »
That was the outcome from above's dough. Very good crust...light, airy and just right.  :)

I don't think it needs more tweaking...but...then, again, you never know.

Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Dough Tosser

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #922 on: March 15, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
Mike they are some great looking pies!

I made a pizza tonight for dinner using your measurements and it turned out great. Nice texture, bite and thickness.  I may have rushed the dough a little as it only was given 20 hours to rise. The crust was a not as crispy and airy as it appears in your pictures.  Need to work on this next time.
Thanks for the pointers.

The pizza was cooked on 600į for 9 -10 minutes.
Shreader Cheddar, fresh Mozzerella, anchovies, basil and Jalopenos.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #923 on: March 16, 2015, 12:12:48 AM »
Mike they are some great looking pies!

I made a pizza tonight for dinner using your measurements and it turned out great. Nice texture, bite and thickness.  I may have rushed the dough a little as it only was given 20 hours to rise. The crust was a not as crispy and airy as it appears in your pictures.  Need to work on this next time.
Thanks for the pointers.

The pizza was cooked on 600į for 9 -10 minutes.
Shreader Cheddar, fresh Mozzerella, anchovies, basil and Jalopenos.

DT,

That's definitely a start.  :)

Next time try a full 24 hr or even a 48 hr rise. You'll get much better browning of the crust, texture and flavor.

Also, take a little time to make sure the pizza, or skin, is stretched evenly. It helps tremendously with an even bake. If you bake at 600įF or above for 10 mins, you may want to increase the hydration by 1% and the oil by perhaps 0.5% to insure a nice crispy but also moist crust.

Keep going, bro, and report back here on your next attempt!  ;D
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #924 on: March 16, 2015, 12:15:41 AM »
18" Pie from tonight for a birthday boy, as requested...meat lover's, fully loaded, with half shrooms and full pie black olives.

Mike

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #925 on: March 16, 2015, 03:08:39 PM »
18" Pie from tonight for a birthday boy, as requested...meat lover's, fully loaded, with half shrooms and full pie black olives.

Hmmm....somebody has good taste!  :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #926 on: March 16, 2015, 04:06:03 PM »
Thanks, Bob.

Here's the rest of the pies from yesterday...will post formula and procedure later in the day.

Mike

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
  • Vendor
« Reply #927 on: April 05, 2015, 07:46:52 PM »
Your pies have a quality to them that I really like

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #928 on: April 06, 2015, 01:14:53 AM »
Your pies have a quality to them that I really like

Willard,

Thanks so much for the kind words.

Took me a few years and lots of work to get them up to my own liking. I'm my own worst critic, as usual  ;D

Below is the latest of them...for the wife.
Mike

Offline aspendos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #929 on: April 06, 2015, 02:54:03 AM »

wow. Looks very professional. I will give it a try with caputo. I love your cheese it gets white on the pizza. The mozzarella over here in germany gets yellow on pizza and have too much fat. (  20gr per 100gr :-X ) i wished i could achieve grande mozarella

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #930 on: April 08, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »
wow. Looks very professional. I will give it a try with caputo. I love your cheese it gets white on the pizza. The mozzarella over here in germany gets yellow on pizza and have too much fat. (  20gr per 100gr :-X ) i wished i could achieve grande mozarella

Aspendos,

I'd look around for the Goldsteig Block mozzarella in wholesale warehouses such as Metro. They should have it. If not, I'd just ask a pizzeria owner where to get your hands on decent mozza in Germany.

http://www.goldsteig.de/en/products/mozzarella/mozzarella-block.html
Mike

Offline aspendos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #931 on: April 08, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
Aspendos,

I'd look around for the Goldsteig Block mozzarella in wholesale warehouses such as Metro. They should have it. If not, I'd just ask a pizzeria owner where to get your hands on decent mozza in Germany.

http://www.goldsteig.de/en/products/mozzarella/mozzarella-block.html

Is that product same like grande mozarella whole milk in the states? 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #932 on: April 08, 2015, 11:08:14 PM »
Is that product same like grande mozarella whole milk in the states?

No, it is not. I don't think there's a Grande clone mozza out on the European market. Not even sure if Europe has even heard of Grande.

However, that mozzarella should get you started. Keep looking for good mozza sources in Germany and Europe altogether.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #933 on: May 14, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »
As I already posted in another thread, I made a couple of NY-style pies on Monday with a 24 hr cold-rise. The crust was light, thin with a slight crunch and creamy interior in the rim. Eggshell-like. Both pizzas were baked at the same temp, on two stones (bottom then top), at 600į F.

Here's the formula and process for two 17" pizzas:

Flour (100%):
Water (60%):
ADY (.5%):
Salt (2.5%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (3%):
Sugar (1%):
Diastatic Malt Powder (2%):
Total (169%):
Single Ball:
597.63 g  |  21.08 oz | 1.32 lbs
358.58 g  |  12.65 oz | 0.79 lbs
2.99 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.79 tsp | 0.26 tbsp
14.94 g | 0.53 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.68 tsp | 0.89 tbsp
17.93 g | 0.63 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.95 tsp | 1.32 tbsp
5.98 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
11.95 g | 0.42 oz | 0.03 lbs | 4.02 tsp | 1.34 tbsp
1010 g | 35.63 oz | 2.23 lbs | TF = N/A
505 g | 17.81 oz | 1.11 lbs

1. Activate ADY in 105F water (100 gr of the total). use a whisk and make sure no granules are floating on the top.

2. Combine flour, malt and sugar in the mxing bowl (sifting is great!) and run the paddle attachment through it for 10 secs or so.

3. Add the rest of the water to the flour at 40-45 F.

4. Add the yeast mixture

5. On Speed 1 bring it all together until the dough comes off the sides.

6. Rest the dough for 20 mins in the bowl.

7. Add the salt and mix for about a minute

8. Stop the mixer and pull the dough off the hook. Add the oil.

9. Mix for 5-6 mins depending on feel and look of the dough. Should be a touch sticky but not so much that it sticks to your fingers when touching.

10. Pour dough onto the counter, give it a rough round shape, cover with damp kitchen cloth and rest for 1 hr. Ball it up until a tight, smooth skin has formed, place in a lightly oiled bowl, brush it with a little oil and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. CF for 18 hrs, then divide, ball again and put the dough balls covered back into the fridge until an hour before use. Bring to a temp of 60-65 F and shape into skins.

EDIT (6/22/15): Added volume measurements for the Diastatic Malt Powder (low-diastatic malt from AB Mauri)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:04:13 PM by Pete-zza »
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #934 on: May 14, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »
Jeff (JVP123),

Couple of pics to show you what the dough looks like before an hour bench rest and after, when balled.

Mike

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #935 on: May 14, 2015, 09:18:24 PM »
Damn fine work Mike.........
Bob

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #936 on: May 14, 2015, 09:26:36 PM »
Jeff

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #937 on: May 14, 2015, 09:29:03 PM »
Jeff (JVP123),

Couple of pics to show you what the dough looks like before an hour bench rest and after, when balled.

Thanks! Is that just one dough ball?  I assume it's the same look if it was much bigger like when you are making 4 or 6 pizzas, lets say?
Jeff

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #938 on: May 14, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »
That's the bulk dough after coming out of the mixer. 
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #939 on: May 15, 2015, 02:35:54 PM »
Jeff,

here's the oven set-up I'm using.

Mike

wordpress