A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 519510 times)

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #1200 on: September 18, 2015, 07:52:10 PM »
It's rising nicely after three hours in the bowl. Very soft to the touch. Another 2 hours to go.

Edit: I didn't mean bench rest.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 12:30:00 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1201 on: September 19, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »
Well, it actually turned out quite great.

I was surprised that a five-hour dough would and could perform as nice as it has. It was very easy to work with, easy to open without being overly extensible and baked up with very good coloration. The malt, in combination with a bit of sugar, worked its magic.

The crust itself was foldable and had good bottom coloration, a slight crunch to it and a little bit of chew. Overall, it was a very good outcome. Definitely a formulation to keep around as an emergency dough.

Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #1202 on: September 19, 2015, 01:39:29 PM »
Well, it actually turned out quite great.

I was surprised that a five-hour dough would and could perform as nice as it has. It was very easy to work with, easy to open without being overly extensible and baked up with very good coloration. The malt, in combination with a bit of sugar, worked its magic.

The crust itself was foldable and had good bottom coloration, a slight crunch to it and a little bit of chew. Overall, it was a very good outcome. Definitely a formulation to keep around as an emergency dough.

Looks good Mike.  Nice to know an emergency dough can make such nice looking pizza!
Jeff

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1203 on: September 19, 2015, 02:28:12 PM »
Looks good Mike.  Nice to know an emergency dough can make such nice looking pizza!

^^^

I'll be using your formula!
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1204 on: September 19, 2015, 03:17:04 PM »

I've done this before but in a shorter timeframe. This one turned out really good.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1205 on: September 19, 2015, 03:18:14 PM »
^^^

I'll be using your formula!

Hans,

Let me know how it turns out for you. Would be interesting to see/hear what other members think of it.
Mike

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1206 on: September 19, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »
Mike,

I'd like to include your recent effort in the collection of "emergency" dough recipes at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8297.msg71576#msg71576 even though I drew the line for emergency doughs in that thread at about four hours. However, would you mind posting your bake protocol again (oven type, types of stones, stone positionings, bake temperature, bake time, etc.)? I know that you have discussed this before but it would help to have everything in one place for members to have on hand when they attempt your recipe. That way, they can make any needed adjustments to adapt the recipe to their particular oven types, arrangements and configurations.

Peter

Offline jvp123

« Reply #1207 on: September 19, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
Was there less crust flavor vs. a longer ferment as one might expect?
Jeff

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1208 on: September 19, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »
Was there less crust flavor vs. a longer ferment as one might expect?

Jeff,

Less flavor was to be expected but it was nonetheless a very good crust. It was more of a slice pie than anything else. Even one of my taste testers, who got a quick slice from that pie yesterday, said for a quick slice fix it was excellent.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:16:40 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #1209 on: September 19, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
Mike,

That is a delicious looking pizza!  8)

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1210 on: September 19, 2015, 04:07:24 PM »
Mike,

I'd like to include your recent effort in the collection of "emergency" dough recipes at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8297.msg71576#msg71576 even though I drew the line for emergency doughs in that thread at about four hours. However, would you mind posting your bake protocol again (oven type, types of stones, stone positionings, bake temperature, bake time, etc.)? I know that you have discussed this before but it would help to have everything in one place for members to have on hand when they attempt your recipe. That way, they can make any needed adjustments to adapt the recipe to their particular oven types, arrangements and configurations.

Peter

Peter,

Here's the exact workflow, baking times & temp and stone positions:

1. Add all the water to mixing bowl, add salt and sugar and dissovle.

2. Combine flour, malt and IDY and add to the mixing bowl.

3. Mix on lowest speed, in my case KitchenAid Pro 600, until no raw flour is visible.

4. While on Speed 1, add the oil and incorporate.

5. Mix on Speed 1 for about 8 mins until dough is smooth and comes off the walls of the bowl.

6. Check dough temp, 75įF - 80įF would be ideal.

7. Pour on lightly floured surface and shape into a tight ball then place it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

8. Let it rise on the counter for 5 hours. If it rises too quickly, place in the refer for the last hour to cool it down. It makes the dough easier to work with, imo.

9. Preheat oven at 550įF until bottom stone (lowest rack) hits about 575į-585įF.

10. Shape ball into a skin, dress and bake on the bottom stone for about 5 minutes. Make sure to check the bottom of the pie at least once. Then move it to the top stone (second rack from the broiler element) and finish it off for another 3 minutes, give or take a minute.

Take it out and let it cool a bit on a wire rack or cooling rack. Slice it and serve.

Formula in Baker's percent:

Flour   100%
Water  60%
IDY      0.5%
Sea salt 2%
Olive oil 1.5%
Sugar 1%
LDMP 3%
(For specific quantities, see Reply 1199 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg396642#msg396642)

That's pretty much everything that went on yesterday. Hope that helps.

Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1211 on: September 19, 2015, 04:07:52 PM »
Mike,

That is a delicious looking pizza!  8)

Norma

Thanks, Norma!
Mike

Offline jvp123

« Reply #1212 on: September 20, 2015, 12:47:44 AM »
Peter,

Here's the exact workflow, baking times & temp and stone positions:

1. Add all the water to mixing bowl, add salt and sugar and dissovle.

2. Combine flour, malt and IDY and add to the mixing bowl.

3. Mix on lowest speed, in my case KitchenAid Pro 600, until no raw flour is visible.

4. While on Speed 1, add the oil and incorporate.

5. Mix on Speed 1 for about 8 mins until dough is smooth and comes off the walls of the bowl.

6. Check dough temp, 75įF - 80įF would be ideal.

7. Pour on lightly floured surface and shape into a tight ball then place it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

8. Let it rise on the counter for 5 hours. If it rises too quickly, place in the refer for the last hour to cool it down. It makes the dough easier to work with, imo.

9. Preheat oven at 550įF until bottom stone (lowest rack) hits about 575į-585įF.

10. Shape ball into a skin, dress and bake on the bottom stone for about 5 minutes. Make sure to check the bottom of the pie at least once. Then move it to the top stone (second rack from the broiler element) and finish it off for another 3 minutes, give or take a minute.

Take it out and let it cool a bit on a wire rack or cooling rack. Slice it and serve.

Formula in Baker's percent:

Flour   100%
Water  60%
IDY      0.5%
Sea salt 2%
Olive oil 1.5%
Sugar 1%
LDMP 3%
(For specific quantities, see Reply 1199 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8093.msg396642#msg396642)

That's pretty much everything that went on yesterday. Hope that helps.

Mike, It's refreshing to hear your bake time is in the 7-8 minute range.  I am usually 6:30-7 mins and always felt a bit ashamed to admit it with most people trying to bake pizzas more quickly.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:49:28 AM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1213 on: September 20, 2015, 01:14:07 AM »
Mike..that really does look great! And such a fast turnaround...I'll grab a slice of that, please!

Jeff-----I know what you mean about fast bakes..I go for same range as you...I like some  crispiness and crunch..3-4 Minute pies don't have it
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 10:06:29 AM by Jersey Pie Boy »

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1214 on: September 20, 2015, 07:38:03 AM »

^^^
Deb

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1215 on: September 20, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »
Mike, It's refreshing to hear your bake time is in the 7-8 minute range.  I am usually 6:30-7 mins and always felt a bit ashamed to admit it with most people trying to bake pizzas more quickly.

Jeff,

I never got that "quick bake" thing and the "quicker the better" unless it applies to Neapolitan style pizza. Imo, you can't rush anything if you want to have a good to great product. The baking time on that pie above was indeed in the 8-minute range. However, since every oven is different make sure to also go by visual clues. So keep an eye on the pie  :)
Mike

Offline bregent

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1216 on: September 20, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »
Hi Mike. You may recall that I've been using your regular 3-day 60% formula for the past few months with great success. I had a pizza emergency yesterday, so this 1-day formula came at the perfect time. I made the dough for two 16" pies. I used the exact formula, ingredients and workflow. Dough temp going into containers was 74F. Since it was a warm day I brought into our basement, which was 76F. Went out to watch the Cal game and when I got back four hours later, the dough had more than doubled and was crawling out of the containers. Put into the fridge while I got the grill fired up.

I had trouble in a few areas, but that was all due to operator error. For one, I usually make 14" pie and this was my first attempt at a 16. So I had a bit of trouble opening the skin up on the first pie - it got very thin in the middle and the rim was huge -  the cheese starting to burn before the rim browned. The flavor of the crust was bland, given the short fermentation and lack of browning. I did a better job on the second pie, and also increased the temp from 515 to 550. It browned much more and the flavor was much better - still not as good as a 3-day dough of course. I also had a lot of fun launching a 16 pie on a 16.5" round stone :)  I think I'll bump it back down to 14 or maybe 15" until I get a little better at it.

I will definitely use this formula again next time I need a quick dough.

Bob

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1217 on: September 20, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
Hi Mike. You may recall that I've been using your regular 3-day 60% formula for the past few months with great success. I had a pizza emergency yesterday, so this 1-day formula came at the perfect time. I made the dough for two 16" pies. I used the exact formula, ingredients and workflow. Dough temp going into containers was 74F. Since it was a warm day I brought into our basement, which was 76F. Went out to watch the Cal game and when I got back four hours later, the dough had more than doubled and was crawling out of the containers. Put into the fridge while I got the grill fired up.

I had trouble in a few areas, but that was all due to operator error. For one, I usually make 14" pie and this was my first attempt at a 16. So I had a bit of trouble opening the skin up on the first pie - it got very thin in the middle and the rim was huge -  the cheese starting to burn before the rim browned. The flavor of the crust was bland, given the short fermentation and lack of browning. I did a better job on the second pie, and also increased the temp from 515 to 550. It browned much more and the flavor was much better - still not as good as a 3-day dough of course. I also had a lot of fun launching a 16 pie on a 16.5" round stone :)  I think I'll bump it back down to 14 or maybe 15" until I get a little better at it.

I will definitely use this formula again next time I need a quick dough.

Bob,

I'm glad to hear you're having fun with the 3-day dough formula so far.

Regarding the 5-hr dough, I agree, the first pie you made looks a little anemic, coloration-wise, but I think that was due to the oven temp. 515įF is a little low for this type of dough.

The second pie looks spot on! Nice coloration and browning of the underside. The rim looks okay to me but perhaps you might want to go a little smaller next time which will leave you with a bit more dough for the center part.

Overall, I think it did turn out pretty good for you. And thanks for giving this formula a shot!  ;D
Mike

Offline Ave Maria

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1218 on: September 20, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »
Essen1~ can you ball this dough as soon as it's mixed and place in fridge for 24 hrs?

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1219 on: September 20, 2015, 07:40:37 PM »
Essen1~ can you ball this dough as soon as it's mixed and place in fridge for 24 hrs?

AM,

As a matter of fact I did just that yesterday.

However, I figured in order to go 24 hrs I lowered the yeast a bit down to 0.3% and the malt down to 2%. I don't want to have to degas and then reball half way through the maturation.

So far it's looking good.
Mike

wordpress