A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 339549 times)

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #2360 on: December 04, 2018, 07:26:32 AM »
Balled this morning. Mike, do you use pan release in them? I'm afraid not to.  :-D
Hans

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2361 on: December 04, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »
Balled this morning. Mike, do you use pan release in them? I'm afraid not to.  :-D

Hans,

Nice! I hope you left the lids ajar for a bit to prevent condensation.

Yes, I use a really thin film of oil in them.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2362 on: December 04, 2018, 11:57:48 AM »
Hans,

Nice! I hope you left the lids ajar for a bit to prevent condensation.

Yes, I use a really thin film of oil in them.

These are RTF so I don't. I do if I CF.
Hans

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2363 on: December 06, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »
These are RTF so I don't. I do if I CF.

Ah, okay.

How do you like them so far?
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2364 on: December 06, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
Ah, okay.

How do you like them so far?

I like them much better than plastic bags as they hold the shape better. Usually for small (250g) dough balls I use them upside down.
Hans

Online bobbysands

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2365 on: December 06, 2018, 07:21:55 PM »
Alright guys and gals. Just want to report some findings. I know this is a thread on NY style, but I know the thread also talks about the WPO-500 oven as well. This is a great tool for the NY style pie, along with the 18x18x1" stone from California Pizza Stones.

First I want emphasize the fact that I love the oven every bit as much as I did when I first got it a couple weeks ago. It's KILLER! Built like a tank and is the REAL DEAL when it comes to making NY style pies. Same with the stone! Thanks to Mike, I started straight away using the CPS stone. (After the initial break in, I've never had the original stone in the oven.)

Here are some of my findings for a 360g Ball, 57% hydration, making a 15-1/2 - 16" (haven't worked out the TF)

COOK TIME 5-1/2 to 6 minutes @ 575F (depending on the "depth" of the preheat)

1) Preheat both Upper and Lower coils to 580-ish
2) Set timer for 3 minutes
3) Load pie, close door then turn off Lower coil for 2 minutes... then turn it back on for the remaining cook time
4) When the bell dings (after 3 minutes total) rotate the pizza 180-deg
5) Close door and set timer to 2-1/2 minutes (leaving both upper and lower coils ON)
6) After a 1-1/2 minutes rotate pizza in order to brown the rim crust evenly. (this will take some experimenting with hotspots)

After you've baked the first pie OR if you have the oven sitting there at 580 for a while, you might need to leave the bottom coil OFF a little LONGER than 2 minutes. Again, keep checking the bottom and you'll learn not to burn the bottom.

Here are some shots of a Pie I made today, including the original dough ball. BTW, I use the BOSCH Universal Plus mixer. I LOVE that thing too! Also, I lightly oil the plastic container and place the dough ball straight into the container. 3 day CF.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2366 on: December 06, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »
Alright guys and gals. Just want to report some findings. I know this is a thread on NY style, but I know the thread also talks about the WPO-500 oven as well. This is a great tool for the NY style pie, along with the 18x18x1" stone from California Pizza Stones.

First I want emphasize the fact that I love the oven every bit as much as I did when I first got it a couple weeks ago. It's KILLER! Built like a tank and is the REAL DEAL when it comes to making NY style pies. Same with the stone! Thanks to Mike, I started straight away using the CPS stone. (After the initial break in, I've never had the original stone in the oven.)

Here are some of my findings for a 360g Ball, 57% hydration, making a 15-1/2 - 16" (haven't worked out the TF)

COOK TIME 5-1/2 to 6 minutes @ 575F (depending on the "depth" of the preheat)

1) Preheat both Upper and Lower coils to 580-ish
2) Set timer for 3 minutes
3) Load pie, close door then turn off Lower coil for 2 minutes... then turn it back on for the remaining cook time
4) When the bell dings (after 3 minutes total) rotate the pizza 180-deg
5) Close door and set timer to 2-1/2 minutes (leaving both upper and lower coils ON)
6) After a 1-1/2 minutes rotate pizza in order to brown the rim crust evenly. (this will take some experimenting with hotspots)

After you've baked the first pie OR if you have the oven sitting there at 580 for a while, you might need to leave the bottom coil OFF a little LONGER than 2 minutes. Again, keep checking the bottom and you'll learn not to burn the bottom.

Here are some shots of a Pie I made today, including the original dough ball. BTW, I use the BOSCH Universal Plus mixer. I LOVE that thing too! Also, I lightly oil the plastic container and place the dough ball straight into the container. 3 day CF.

Bob,

That's an awesome looking pizza! Congrats!

Yes, it takes a little time to get to know the oven and all its characteristics, but you're well on your way. It should keep getting better, especially when you start dabbling around with higher temps and hydrations.
Mike

Online bobbysands

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2367 on: December 06, 2018, 07:33:24 PM »
Bob,

That's an awesome looking pizza! Congrats!

Yes, it takes a little time to get to know the oven and all its characteristics, but you're well on your way. It should keep getting better, especially when you start dabbling around with higher temps and hydrations.

Thanks Mike. Hope this is helpful for anyone who recently purchased the oven or is thinking about getting one.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2368 on: December 06, 2018, 07:57:57 PM »
Thanks Mike. Hope this is helpful for anyone who recently purchased the oven or is thinking about getting one.

Bob,

If it isn't then I don't know what is.
Mike

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2369 on: December 06, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »
Alright guys and gals. Just want to report some findings...

Great post and pizza! Really like that folded slice!!
Matt

Online Dangerous Salumi

• Using our home grown culture to leaven our dough
« Reply #2370 on: December 06, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »

Impressive. Nice work
Have a Dangerous day!

ďThey say that competitive eating is the battleground upon which God and Lucifer wage war for mens souls my friends, and they are right.Ē  - George Shea, Chairman, Major League Eating

Online bobbysands

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2371 on: December 06, 2018, 10:36:12 PM »
Impressive. Nice work

Great post and pizza! Really like that folded slice!!

Thank you!