A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 382960 times)

Offline Meatsweats86

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #2640 on: February 13, 2020, 10:24:00 AM »
Hey, thinking seriously about buying the WARING WPO500, but curious about your baking method. Im about 107pgs through this thread and a bit unclear, haha.

My main question is:

-How do you achieve an even bake between top/bottom elements? Do switch the top/bottom on/off? If so, when?

Much appreciated!

I can't speak for Essen1 on his cooking method, but I cook 18" NY style pies in my home electric oven with great results. I have two 9"x18"  .25"steel plates on the bottom rack and a 16" round stone on the 2nd from top rack. I pre heat my oven to 525 for 1.5 hours. I check my steel with an infrared and it's usually 580.  I launch the 18" pie very carefully as there's not not much room for error. I usually go 5 minutes on the steel or until the bottom is looking dark golden brown. The cornicione is still pale and that is when I throw it on the upper stone and turn my broiler on to 500. I let it go for about 4-5 mins until it gets the char I'm looking for. and cheese becomes bubbly.  Here are two 18" pies I did last night. I didn't launch the pepperoni correctly and as you can see the side hit the edge of my oven.

I too thought about purchasing a Waring, but my home oven does such a great job that I can't justify spending over $1k for it. Steel plates cost me $60 and stone was free. There's a great steel plate thread on here which I followed.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #2641 on: February 13, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
I can't speak for Essen1 on his cooking method, but I cook 18" NY style pies in my home electric oven with great results. I have two 9"x18"  .25"steel plates on the bottom rack and a 16" round stone on the 2nd from top rack.
Meatsweats86,

I assume that the two 9" x 18" steel plates are placed together to effectively equal an 18" x 18" plate. Is that correct?

Peter

A D V E R T I S E M E N T