So what's the latest on your Pizza Rustica experiment? I figure by now you've had a chance to test it out.
Well, like I said before, the crust must be improved and that's what I worked on or tried to achieve in the last couple of days. I didn't expect the crust to come out perfect, and it didn't, since it's just the beginning but it was still pretty damn good.
I used the Stone-Buhr Bread flour again but this time I softened it up a bit by substituting 100 gr. of SB with 100 gr. of Caputo Pizzeria flour and sifted them together. Made a big difference, I believe. The dough, after balling it for bulk-rise, was incredibly soft and silky and the surface was extremely smooth as you can see in the first couple of pics. I upped the hydration to 64%, EVOO went up to 2.3% and the IDY went up to 0.3% from 0.2%, which translates in this formula:
545 gr. SBBF & 100 gr. Caputo Pizzeria (645gr. / 100%)
413 gr. Water (64%)
15 gr. EVOO (2.3%)
13 gr. Sugar (2%)
10 gr. Kosher salt (1.5%)
2 gr. IDY (0.3%)
I don't have the TF on this but the formula produces three doughballs at 365gr. each for a 14" pie.
Furthermore, I decided to do a 24hr, 48 hr and 72hr cold-rise. After each elapsed time period, I'd take the dough out of the fridge, cut a 365 gr piece off of it, re-ball the bulk and back into the fridge it goes. I'd then redistribute the gases in the individual dough ball, re-ball it and let it come to room temp before shaping it.
The mixing procedure went like this:
Add water to the mixing bowl at 80° F, added all the salt and sugar and completely dissolved it before sifting in 50% of the flour. Using the paddle I mixed it until it had a nice batter-like consistency. I gave it a 45 min rest and then added the rest of the flour, added the yeast and lastly the oil. After that it was 5 mins with the dough hook on Speed 1, 10 mins rest, 10 mins on Speed 2, 10 mins rest, 2 mins on Speed 2 then onto the counter, balling it up and in the fridge it went for the first 24 hr cold-rise.
The first skin was very easy to shape and had some nice bubbles in it as you can see in the pic below. I topped it with fresh mozzarella and some leftover grated low-moisture mozzarella I had from the day before. Well, the crust came out great but it had a bit of a sweet taste to it so I will lower the sugar amount in my next batch some time next week. It baked for about 7 mins with an additional minute under the broiler to get some more coloring. As an added bonus...whooopdeeedoooh
...it had a great Totonno's look to it. I posted two pics as a comparison. It didn't have the nice char, though, since I don't have a coal-fired oven here at home.
Overall, the crust was excellent. It was foldable, had a good flop, had a nice structure, good crunch and chew. The only thing was the sugar. That put me off a bit but it's also easily corrected. I'm curious to see how the dough is after a 48hr cold-rise.