A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: bar pizza? (eg. Lynwood Cafe)  (Read 25345 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: bar pizza? (eg. Lynwood Cafe)
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »
I happened to eat at town spa last weekend.  I would like to add that the ingredient list said it has msg in it,  also that there was cheddar cheese listed.  my wife threw out that part of the px so cannot list it all off.  The pizza was addicting,  probably due to the cheddar cheese.  People order pies there with burnt edges.  A local told me that the burnt edges was not cheese,  but instead it was sauce.  From the look of it I believe him.  We orderd our pizza crispy,  not burnt edges,  by mistake.  I wanted to post a couple pictures of the pizza we had for you all to look at.  -marc

Offline IEatPizzaByThePie

• ohaipizza OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM OM NOM NOM
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 05:00:43 AM »
Wow, you are bringing back forgotten memories.   YES I almost forgot there is milk in the lynwood dough...oops.     I have heard they replace about 1/3 of the water in the recipe with milk.   Good call! 

Milk in the dough? Throughout my bar-style pizza research, I haven't yet heard that. Do they definitely use 1/3 part milk, or is that just an assumption?

I have a better pan for this dough now so I plan on trying it again soon. I'll try adding milk this time if the authentic recipe uses it.
"I looked at the serving size: two slices. Who the hell eats two slices? I eat pizza by the pie! Two pies is a serving size!!"

Offline AK Skim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »
Had an aunt and uncle living in Holbrook in the 1960's. Saturday night he would go to the Lynwood and order 2 cheese, sit an have a beer, I a 7 Up.
Great memories of that pizza and was last there about 5 years ago and it still seems like to the same great bar pizza as it was back then.
The cardboard plates that it came in, the bottom one would have some melted cheese stuck to it..
After the pizza was gone, scrapping that cheese off and eating it was The BEST treat after a great pizza.

Offline firecrust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 09:49:04 AM »
that's the thing with pizza. It's not just the taste but awesome memories you have with it.  8)

Offline barpizzaistheonlypizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 09:13:50 AM »
Has anyone ever come close to the real thing?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
yes, follow my advice in earlier posts.    Along with the milk also go high on the fat, 5 percent oil or shortening in the dough should be enough.   

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 12:13:56 PM »
yes, follow my advice in earlier posts. 

But not this thread, right?
--pat--

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »
yes, follow my advice in earlier posts.    Along with the milk also go high on the fat, 5 percent oil or shortening in the dough should be enough.

I must take issue with what you said here.

The only difference between south shore greek pizza (called bar pizza by the locals) and typical boston/new england greek pizza is that it is only served in small 10 or 12 inch pies and the pan is well oiled.

The crust and cheese are both very different. Greek pizza's crust is light, airy, and thick. Bar pizza's crust is dense, thin, and crunchy. Greek pizza's cheese has more pull to it like a mozzarella. Bar pizza's tears apart very easily which is probably as you said from being completely Cheddar.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 01:01:24 PM »
I hear what you are saying.  I might have generalized too much.  The "bar" pizza spots tend to use more oil/shortening and the milk which gives it the crunchier more biscuit like crust.   The "greek" pizzerias tend to use something a bit closer to a pan risen ny style dough.   

There is quite a bit of crossover, though, and I know of some high fat/milk doughs being used at greek places that do multiple sized pizzas, and I know of some lean doughs being used at bar pizza spots.    There are even some places incorporating eggs.   I know of that happening at some "bar" style places and some "greek" style places.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 01:16:07 PM »
Enchant, try this.

replace 1/3 of the water in the recipe with scalded milk
use 5% shortening or oil in the dough
use 2% whole eggs (I have not confirmed that they use egg but it is used sometimes for this style)

lynwood uses grande brand cheese, specifically a cheddar and mozzarella blend.  This can be achieved with other brands, even the RD house brand is good.   As norma suggests cracker barrel green label cheddar is great... blend that with any good mozz 50/50

use stanislaus brand tomatoes like lynwood (they have more tang than other brands).  I taste rosemary in the lynwood sauce.  Like Marc pointed out many bar style pizzerias use msg in the sauce.   Try that too if you dare. 

use butter flavored spray on the bottom of the pan. lynwood uses this...
https://parwaytryson.com/shop/vegalene-buttery-cooking-spray/

Check out the greek style threads on how to deal with rise/panning.   There are many ways to get this right. 

This will get you close.  good luck!

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »
Thanks, Scott.  I'll try some of that.

I have an unopened bar of Cracker Barrel black label (Aged Reserve Cheddar) in my fridge.  I also have a ton of RD shredded 40/60 cheddar/mozz in the freezer left over from summer when we had a pizza event and it was horrific weather, so nobody came.

My sauce of choice is Sapporito diluted 50/50 with water. I can add rosemary to that.

As far as the spray goes, I'm not sure if I can get that specific brand.  RD's member section appears to be broke atm.  I'll try again later.  Might any butter flavored spray work?  I see several like Pam, Food Club, Olivio, etc.  I've just been using light olive oil.  I bought some Crisco (couldn't find the butter flavored version), but as far as my wife is concerned, I might as well be spreading tar heroin on the pan if I'm using that.

Lately I've been working on a dough that I really like for NY pizzas, but I think I've got that nailed and I can go back to pan pizzas.
--pat--

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 06:49:06 PM »
Enchant, try this.

replace 1/3 of the water in the recipe with scalded milk
use 5% shortening or oil in the dough
use 2% whole eggs (I have not confirmed that they use egg but it is used sometimes for this style)

lynwood uses grande brand cheese, specifically a cheddar and mozzarella blend.  This can be achieved with other brands, even the RD house brand is good.   As norma suggests cracker barrel green label cheddar is great... blend that with any good mozz 50/50

use stanislaus brand tomatoes like lynwood (they have more tang than other brands).  I taste rosemary in the lynwood sauce.  Like Marc pointed out many bar style pizzerias use msg in the sauce.   Try that too if you dare. 

use butter flavored spray on the bottom of the pan. lynwood uses this...
https://parwaytryson.com/shop/vegalene-buttery-cooking-spray/

Check out the greek style threads on how to deal with rise/panning.   There are many ways to get this right. 

This will get you close.  good luck!

Thanks for this. The crust seems like it would be the most difficult part. I'll be trying this ASAP.

And how sure are you there's mozzarella in it? I've asked for "pizza cheese" at Cape Cod Cafe before, they handed me a little cup with the cheese. I tried it and to me, it tasted like pure cheddar, like 100% full blown cheddar. Granted, I haven't done this in many years, and of course, it's not Lynwood, but the cheese profiles at both places are pretty similar. I might go back there when I'm in town and try again to ask for "pizza cheese". I'd imagine it's a lot easier to ask for "pizza cheese" at 'The Cod' because you can say you like it with a salad or something than you can at the Lynwood where they'll be like "what in the world is this person smoking???"

I did some light research. I found a Boston Herald article about bar pizza.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/food_dining/food_recipes/2010/07/%E2%80%99round_towns

Bar pizza is a blue-collar culinary tradition south of Boston - and virtually unknown in the rest of the world.

“You just don’t find bar pizza anywhere else, at least not the way it’s made around here,” said Dennis Hoey, whose 57-year-old pizza kitchen, Hoey’s, is located inside AMVETS Post 51 in Randolph.

A lot of pubs serve pizza, but the South Shore style is unique. It’s a 10-inch personal pie covered with cheddar cheese and baked in beat-up steel pans until the bottom and edges of the pizza nearly blacken. There’s hardly any crust around the edge.

I can't get the rest because I'm not paying for it, but this says cheddar cheese. It doesn't say only cheddar, but it also doesn't say cheddar along with other cheeses. I wish this reporter was more in depth!

I also found a random post from a random person who claims he worked at Lynwood... 50 years ago.

https://newengland.com/today/travel/massachusetts/south-shore-bar-pizza/

I grew up in Avon Mass. about three miles from the Lynwood and have had their pizza many times. I even worked in the kitchen for a few months in 1968 helping to prepare the pizzas. I have also had and enjoyed the pizza at Town Spa and the Cape Cod Café. IMO this style of pizza is far superior to other types I have had elsewhere, and the Lynwood is the gold standard. BTW, unless they changed Frank Kurlitis; recipe (late owner of the Lynwood) they use ONLY cheddar cheese. Frank used to buy it in big ‘wheels’ and attach them to an apparatus he made that would rotate the wheels (or discs) against a blade thereby shaving the cheese into a large bin under the blade. The cheese looked somewhat like the shredded cheese that nowadays is sold in grocery stores.

He's claiming they only use cheddar. The source isn't reliable because it's some random guy, but who knows.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:51:00 PM by barpizzaistheonlypizza »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 08:16:35 PM »
Thanks for this. The crust seems like it would be the most difficult part. I'll be trying this ASAP.

And how sure are you there's mozzarella in it? ...

Interesting stuff.

Make sure you read the Greek Pizza thread linked below If you haven't. It's not focused solely on bar-style, but there's plenty of info there from over the years.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=691.0

Matt

Offline Loarina Vega

• I Love Fried Dough Pizza
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »
Could be like 15 or 20 years ago I used to used milk or  similar product as powder milk or  a touch of sour cream yes sour cream if you can believe that it's the same as any milk product and helps with the fermentation doesn't change the flavor much though... egg I think that helped with  the color and fluffiness texture ...shortening same thing ...helps with the texture in my dough.... I have steered away from it looking at popular recipes with more from the New York Styles but I think ... then you forget the basics... going to go back to it again... I added a screenshot of your quote because I couldn't add it had problems with the quote and inserting thing
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:16:46 PM by Loarina Vega »

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »
https://i.imgur.com/ImC5WVr.jpg

If you want to see a "proper" crust on the bottom of a bar pizza.

Also, the ingredients, which are of no use probably.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:43:37 PM by Pete-zza »