A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 599122 times)

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2500 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:56 PM »
I tried the MJ formula. The dough was a little too soft and I kept over stretching it and thinning it out too much. Maybe more fridge time? Anyway, this is probably the best dough recipe Iíve ever made in a home oven. Family even commented that it smelled like a pizzeria in our house. I made 5 pies at 14Ē (250g). Each pie was slightly different cheese combos but they were all @ 100g. Everyone agreed that cheddar as the main cheese was the best. I used Great Lakes sharp white from Shop-rite. I need to work on time and temp to get more even coloring. But the mouth feel was amazing. The bottom had a crisp to it and the overall texture was soft and pillowy. With all that being said, I donít think this was a Mac n Manco Pizza. Maybe it was operator error. I really like this dough and will be using this formula exclusively so I will try to update as I go.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:54:22 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2501 on: July 10, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »
I think Norma used that cheese at one time or another.   :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2502 on: July 10, 2020, 10:56:08 PM »
I think Norma used that cheese at one time or another.   :pizza:

Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct. I really want to try the Land O Lakes cheddar but I need to find a source for it.
Do you have any favorites you would suggest?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2503 on: July 10, 2020, 11:10:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct. I really want to try the Land O Lakes cheddar but I need to find a source for it.
Do you have any favorites you would suggest?
I'm sorry, it's Land o lakes, not great lakes that Norma used  maybe 
I have a new thread going where I found LOL mozz @ 6 bucks for 5lb bag at lidl grocery.  I use Cabot x sharp ny chedder with it..  25%
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2504 on: July 15, 2020, 05:28:31 PM »
I tried the MJ formula. The dough was a little too soft and I kept over stretching it and thinning it out too much. Maybe more fridge time? Anyway, this is probably the best dough recipe Iíve ever made in a home oven. Family even commented that it smelled like a pizzeria in our house. I made 5 pies at 14Ē (250g). Each pie was slightly different cheese combos but they were all @ 100g. Everyone agreed that cheddar as the main cheese was the best. I used Great Lakes sharp white from Shop-rite. I need to work on time and temp to get more even coloring. But the mouth feel was amazing. The bottom had a crisp to it and the overall texture was soft and pillowy. With all that being said, I donít think this was a Mac n Manco Pizza. Maybe it was operator error. I really like this dough and will be using this formula exclusively so I will try to update as I go.

Nice looking pie! 

I too am a fan of this Mac n Marco dough.  Always cooks up nice @ 480 degrees, the highest I dare take my oven...I did lower the IDY to .4% for convenience and it's hot here.  I make 500 grams, then shave off 160 gr for a same day calzone with a 2 hr RF.  The rest goes in the fridge for 24/48 hrs and I make a pie for the boys.  The dough in both cases is SO easy to work with and hand stretch.  I also really like the 2.6% salt and the lard, which fits my taste.

I'm also a fan of the Sharp Ched, and will give it a shot as the dominate cheese like you have done.  I also use the sauce he posted (8 grams oregano, 1 gram garlic and pepper per 24 oz).  I use 7/11 run through a mill to smooth it out, and the kids Love it

It is my go to for sameday and also a great for 24/48 CF.  Very versatile in my situation.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 05:34:19 PM by Slowhands1964 »

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2505 on: July 15, 2020, 06:01:40 PM »
Nice looking pie! 

I too am a fan of this Mac n Marco dough.  Always cooks up nice @ 480 degrees, the highest I dare take my oven...I did lower the IDY to .4% for convenience and it's hot here.  I make 500 grams, then shave off 160 gr for a same day calzone with a 2 hr RF.  The rest goes in the fridge for 24/48 hrs and I make a pie for the boys.  The dough in both cases is SO easy to work with and hand stretch.  I also really like the 2.6% salt and the lard, which fits my taste.

I'm also a fan of the Sharp Ched, and will give it a shot as the dominate cheese like you have done.  I also use the sauce he posted (8 grams oregano, 1 gram garlic and pepper per 24 oz).  I use 7/11 run through a mill to smooth it out, and the kids Love it

It is my go to for sameday and also a great for 24/48 CF.  Very versatile in my situation.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. What are some of the differences between ďsame dayĒ and letting it Sit for 24/48 ?

Offline Slowhands1964

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2506 on: July 15, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
A little more flavor with the longer ferment

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2507 on: July 17, 2020, 10:22:53 PM »
Man I haven't been on the board in a long time. Joined 15 years ago. Damn.

Anyway, grew up spending summers at the Jersey Shore. Very familiar with Mack and Manco pizza, but I moved to California back in 2006. I saw this giant thread the other day and had to jump back on.

mjnern's recipe seemed like it was would be viable. I remember trying to copy famous pizza places that I really liked. The thing where I think MJ's spot on is the high yeast %. When we make stuff at home, we love the idea of long slow cold ferments, but if you see Manco's on a Thurs, Fri, Saturday night.... there is no space in their building to be pumping out the volume of pizzas they make, and have a multi day cold ferment. It's just not gonna happen. Their financial overhead is probably high, refrigeration is expensive, and the margin on a slice of pizza isn't' huge. It's a volume business which means, look for recipes that speak "profit margin".  This is gonna mean I doubt they do anything crazy or artistic. If this was lombardi's or grimaldi's, sure I believe that, but this is a 2-3 dollar slice and go joint. Think simple.

My guess is that they're pumping out dough almost constantly. They probably put their dough in trays on a speedrack and then cover the entire speed rack with a plastic bag while it proofs over a couple of hours. When one is gone, another is right behind it just about to finish proofing.

Anyway, I tried MJ's recipe tonight. I increased the yeast to 1.5% as it was gonna be 2.5 hours from dough to baking. I made 540g of dough, split into 270g balls to make a 11.5 inch pizza.  I used some leftover canned sauce with some oregano that I dehydrated from my garden and some other seasonings. The first pie was straight mozz, whereas the second one was 50/50 mozz+mild cheddar (I only had yellow so that's what I used).

This to me, tastes exactly the way I remember Mack and Manco's tasting from my teenage years. It's not high end, it's not fancy, but it's a good slice of pizza to grab on the go. 

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2508 on: July 31, 2020, 09:59:57 AM »
Man I haven't been on the board in a long time. Joined 15 years ago.

This to me, tastes exactly the way I remember Mack and Manco's tasting from my teenage years. It's not high end, it's not fancy, but it's a good slice of pizza to grab on the go.

Ghost, your pie looks great. I am having a hard time getting an even color on the top and bottom. Are you using a baking steel or a stone? What is your oven setup and procedure?

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2509 on: August 01, 2020, 05:36:59 AM »
Ghost, your pie looks great. I am having a hard time getting an even color on the top and bottom. Are you using a baking steel or a stone? What is your oven setup and procedure?

Nothing fancy. The oven I have goes up to 525 on convection bake. Which probably makes it cook more like a 550. I have a stone in the middle rack of the oven that I let heat up until my infrared laser thermometer says is about 500f+.

Thatís it!

Offline Zeus77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2510 on: August 05, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »
Nothing fancy. The oven I have goes up to 525 on convection bake. Which probably makes it cook more like a 550. I have a stone in the middle rack of the oven that I let heat up until my infrared laser thermometer says is about 500f+.

Thatís it!

Ghost,
Thanks for the info. I am also using a stone and convection, but I am at 550 deg so maybe I'm too high. I'll try at 525 this weekend. Thanks again for the info. I'll try to post some pics of my results. 

wordpress