Author Topic: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results  (Read 99192 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
Re: Baker's yeast quantity prediction model - please compare to your results
« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2016, 02:08:19 PM »
Craig,    I've been using this chart a whole lot..love it.  I realize after all this time (Duh) I'm not sure the best way to measure my fridge temp.   And I've tried two different ways with very different results.

Initially I popped a small thermometer in the fridge right where I store my dough..and I like to keep it pretty cool. If I go further back on this particular shelf, things freeze..whoops, too cold. So I was getting a reading of 36F. All good.  Until..I thought maybe I should do an IR reading of the container/dough. That came in at 40F  I do  understand I'm reading air temp vs surface temp.

Which should I be reading to get my best results from the chart?  I'm thinking the 36 reading must be pretty accurate since I've had items freeze just a little further back on this shelf.

Thanks

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »
Going off the predicted time from the chart, which temp closest to correct?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »
Well, I left the thermometer sitting on top of the bulk container all day and it was a 39...so that must be the right number. Must be that when I placed  it in the fridge for the 36 degree readings, it was a bit behind where the container is...Temperatures must fall off quickly with distance from front to back..Is there an inverse square law or such in effect with temperature like there is with light ? Well, anyway...

I'd say that sometimes I've been a touch more fermented than I want, and if I'm working with numbers for 36 and I'm actually at 40 that could explain it...Probably not as noticeable or crucial when I'm using very low amounts of IDY and going  for long CF's  . But when I'm in the .3-.5 range I can see that a few degrees could make a noticeable difference.

I'm not sure I had understood how using a poolish factors into the charts..I think you  once said that that would be outside the information the chart could provide..But based on my  doughs, it seems that the chart lines up just fine withe the total amount of IDY in the dough even when a poolish is used. . On top of this, I'm often doing a Fazzari  re-ball / late-ball, which he describes as re- setting the dough. His doughs often have .5 IDY and have been in CF for a number of days. By the chart, they would be ready to bake, but he is proofing them at Rt for a number of hours...and in a pretty warm kitchen, and getting great bakes...so I can see that there are many variables to it .

Thanks Craig!

Offline parodius4

• Neapolitan, fresh tomatoes and small electric oven
« Reply #353 on: November 20, 2016, 06:21:53 AM »
First of all many thanks for providing this. It really helped me to get numbers that work for me more consistently. I also used it together with the SD chart  to see the relations when I mix SD and yeast in a dough.
And it made me use my milligram scale for yeast...

I use IDY and found I need to adjust thevalues at around a factor of 1.6
Eg when the chart calls for say 0.064% then 0.1% work better for me with the given time.
Or the other way when the predicted is 10h then I'm closer to what I think works after 16h.

Maybe IDY here is a little weaker or I look for more fermentation idk, either way it doesn't matter much as the relations between the values seem to work pretty good.

Greetings

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #354 on: November 20, 2016, 07:13:10 AM »
First of all many thanks for providing this. It really helped me to get numbers that work for me more consistently. I also used it together with the SD chart  to see the relations when I mix SD and yeast in a dough.
And it made me use my milligram scale for yeast...

I use IDY and found I need to adjust thevalues at around a factor of 1.6
Eg when the chart calls for say 0.064% then 0.1% work better for me with the given time.
Or the other way when the predicted is 10h then I'm closer to what I think works after 16h.

Maybe IDY here is a little weaker or I look for more fermentation idk, either way it doesn't matter much as the relations between the values seem to work pretty good.

Greetings

I'm at about the same place with IDY. Straight off the chart does not give me enough fermentation.
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #355 on: November 22, 2016, 09:58:57 PM »
The table is only intended to help you find a starting place. Some testing and tweaking may be necessary.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage