A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 618353 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2220 on: April 30, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »
My daughter and her friend asked me if I wanted to go to Wildwood yesterday.  :D I am writing this post from the computer because it is too hard to compose a long post on the cell phone and post links.  All of the photos are from the cell, so they are going to be posted from the cell in other posts.

The weather was beautiful in Wildwood yesterday.  In the afternoon it was about 82 degrees F, not a lot of humidity and a nice breeze.  We went hunting for seashells, walked the beach and sat in the sun for awhile. 

My daughter knew I wanted to try a slice of Mack's pizza since we were in Wildwood.  I thought the closest Mack's, to where we were was opened, because it was the first Mack's pizza opened last year.  We were near the Convention Center so it would only be a short walk on the boardwalk.  The closest Mack's pizza was closed, had a sign outside that the other Mack's pizza is opened and was a 10 block walk on the boardwalk.  The boardwalk didn't have the breeze that being close to the ocean did.  We all got hot on the boardwalk while walking.  To add to the heat, they stopped in a few shops and they weren't air conditioned.  I didn't think I would make it to the second Mack's Pizza but did.  The smell of Mack's Pizza sure smelled great.  There was a line to get seating at Mack's inside.  There were no stools to watch the pizza makers available.  I didn't just want to get a reheated slice, so we stood in the line.  In no time we had a table.  One photo was quickly snapped to show what the dough balls looked like.  They sure looked flat to me just like in the one video. I saw Jesse Pike was the main pie maker.  I know he has been at Mack's for a long time.  This is a video of Jesse making a Mack's pizza blindfolded.  Jesse sure is good. and since he was there, I didn't want to ask any questions of him because I did that many times before and sure didn't have the sunglasses and wig along yesterday.  If the second video is watched it can be seen when the dough ball is being presses out how the indentations are in the dough.  I still wonder what causes that and then the dough gets so beautiful when opened.  While we where eating I was watching to see what was going on with the pizza makers.  I saw there must have been a new pizza maker Jesse was teaching and saw he was a lot slower.  When we left the new guy was pressing out a dough and trying to stretch it into a skin.  He was having a hard time pressing evenly.  I still wonder why their dough gets so many indentations and they don't seem to get flat with all of the pounding that is done.  Peter, do you know what might cause those indentations and then the dough gets so elastic, or any other thoughts?

Mack's pizza yesterday was so delicious.  :drool:  The buttery flavor of the cheese was so good.  I tasted the crust separately and it had a sweet taste to my taste buds.  The sauce and cheese blended perfectly for my tastes.  The crust even tasted good yesterday.  There is something that I must be missing in the process of trying to make a Mack's pizza.  If I put that much cheese on a pizza my pizza would get really gooey looking.

Just before we left our seats at Mack's the whole placed became packed. 

I asked the pizza maker at Olympic Flame if I could take a photo of him since they won 1st place last year.  They use a Baker's Pride oven to bake their pizzas. 

About 20 mintues after eating the slice at Mack's had more food at the Doo Wop diner on the boardwalk. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2221 on: April 30, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2222 on: April 30, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2223 on: April 30, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2224 on: April 30, 2017, 09:23:41 AM »
And some Jersey crushed tomatoes picked up near Wildwood.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2225 on: May 01, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
If the second video is watched it can be seen when the dough ball is being presses out how the indentations are in the dough.  I still wonder what causes that and then the dough gets so beautiful when opened.  While we where eating I was watching to see what was going on with the pizza makers.  I saw there must have been a new pizza maker Jesse was teaching and saw he was a lot slower.  When we left the new guy was pressing out a dough and trying to stretch it into a skin.  He was having a hard time pressing evenly.  I still wonder why their dough gets so many indentations and they don't seem to get flat with all of the pounding that is done.  Peter, do you know what might cause those indentations and then the dough gets so elastic, or any other thoughts?
Norma,

It is hard to say for sure why the bubbles remain until the dough is opened up. However, it appears that the dough balls in the dough box are either intentionally flattened or allowed to become so through fermentation at room temperature in preparation for using to make skins. But in either case, with some thickness in the flattened dough balls, the indentations will be quite visible until the skin is further opened and pounded flat. So, the dough balls can't be overfermented to the point where the gluten structure has been damaged and cannot sustain the indentations or where thin spots might form in the skin with further opening. I suspect that there is a window of usability for the dough balls on the bench and the workers know when they are in that window through experience.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2226 on: May 02, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »
Norma,

It is hard to say for sure why the bubbles remain until the dough is opened up. However, it appears that the dough balls in the dough box are either intentionally flattened or allowed to become so through fermentation at room temperature in preparation for using to make skins. But in either case, with some thickness in the flattened dough balls, the indentations will be quite visible until the skin is further opened and pounded flat. So, the dough balls can't be overfermented to the point where the gluten structure has been damaged and cannot sustain the indentations or where thin spots might form in the skin with further opening. I suspect that there is a window of usability for the dough balls on the bench and the workers know when they are in that window through experience.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your thoughts that it appears that the dough balls in the dough boxes are either intentionally fattened or allowed to become so through fermentation at room temperature.  The first photo at Reply 2222 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg479433#msg479433 kind of makes me think that they may flattened those dough balls that are put in those pans, so maybe space might be saved.  It looks to me that there might be 9 sheets pan with dough balls in all of them.  If Mack's only covers with that waxed paper and flattens them it might make them cool faster.  Just as Tom says about making frozen dough balls to flatten them to help them cool faster.  I would also tend to think that those metal sheet pans would cool doughs faster.  I kind of wonder if Mack's does freeze their dough balls.  I did have one person tell me that they do freeze their dough balls.  Maybe when I have time will try small sheet pans and flatten the doughs and then freeze them.  I also noticed on Saturday and in the videos that not much of any bench flour is used to open the dough balls. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2227 on: July 14, 2017, 05:57:45 AM »
Some places at the Jersey shore and other pizzerias in NJ that made it into the top 10.  Was surprised to read that Mack's Pizza only sold 8 pizzas on their first day in Wildwood in 1953.  Decor is still the same as when Mack's opened.  Maruca's is right up there.  Kinchley's Tavern pie looks good.

Edit:  The original link doesn't work.

http://www.nj.com/jerseysbest/2017/07/njs_best_pizzeria_the_50_semi-finalists_revealed.html

Wildwood boardwalk was selected 'The Best Boardwalk in New Jersey' by Things To Do in New Jersey blog readers. Gotta either love or hate that “Watch the Tram Car Please”.   :-D

https://wildwood365.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-wildwoods-boardwalk-voted-best.html

And the link to Wildwood Boardwalk on facebook.  Sure looks nice down there with some of the photos of the beach, sunrises and sunsets.

https://www.facebook.com/WildwoodBoardwalkOfficial/

Norma
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:05:07 AM by norma427 »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2228 on: July 17, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »
I'm headed to Wildwood in less than 2 weeks and am looking forward to trying Mack's for the first time!

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2229 on: July 17, 2017, 09:13:57 PM »
I'm headed to Wildwood in less than 2 weeks and am looking forward to trying Mack's for the first time!

Matt,

I hope you like Mack's pizza.   ;D  If you don't that's okay.   :-D

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2230 on: August 01, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
Matt,

I hope you like Mack's pizza.   ;D  If you don't that's okay.   :-D

Norma

I enjoyed my first Mack's experience! My sense is that Wildwood/boardwalk/Mack's brings nostalgia to many people  (My wife's family included as my kids are the 4th generation to vacation there. Unfortunately their family tradition is Kohrs ice cream, not pizza, but I think Mack's is gaining ground after this experience.) It was a nice atmosphere seeing the place packed with beach/boardwalk goers.

We arrived at 4:30 on a sunny Sunday. I was wrong in thinking they wouldn't be busy at that time, but it worked out well as 5 of us sat at the counter where I had a great view of the doughs being opened.

We ordered a plain pie (with 1/4 peppperoni) and a white pie. I enjoyed them both (not surprising as I really like pizza). I wasnt blown away, but my tastes have really become used to a heavy dose of romano, which is not found in this style. The cheese was mild, but with that extra hint from the cheddar. If I didn't know it was cheddar I might not have noticed. Lots of oregano, which I like, and a noticeable amount of pepper. The pies were good and thin. I liked the melt on the white pie better, possibly a result of more cheese.

I kindof liked the funky plastic serving trays, I mostly saw green, but some red. I'm thinking I may have seen these as a kid in a northeast regional chain Papa Gino's in the late 80s. I found similar trays online, but in cases of 12 only. If anyone knows where to get a single, I'd probably pick one up.

Assuming I'm in wildwood again, I'd definitely swing by for another couple slices.

2 takeaways for my pizzamaking: experiment a bit more with cheddar, experiment with flour instead of semolina on the peel.

I have dozens of pictures on my brother-in-laws camera, but it will take some time to get them. For now, here's some non-pizza pics.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:08:07 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2231 on: August 01, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »
I enjoyed my first Mack's experience! My sense is that Wildwood/boardwalk/Mack's brings nostalgia to many people  (My wife's family included as my kids are the 4th generation to vacation there. Unfortunately their family tradition is Kohrs ice cream, not pizza, but I think Mack's is gaining ground after this experience.) It was a nice atmosphere seeing the place packed with beach/boardwalk goers.

We arrived at 4:30 on a sunny Sunday. I was wrong in thinking they wouldn't be busy at that time, but it worked out well as 5 of us sat at the counter where I had a great view of the doughs being opened.

We ordered a plain pie (with 1/4 peppperoni) and a white pie. I enjoyed them both (not surprising as I really like pizza). I wasnt blown away, but my tastes have really become used to a heavy dose of romano, which is not found in this style. The cheese was mild, but with that extra hint from the cheddar. If I didn't know it was cheddar I might not have noticed. Lots of oregano, which I like, and a noticeable amount of pepper. The pies were good and thin. I liked the melt on the white pie better, possibly a result of more cheese.

I kindof liked the funky plastic serving trays, I mostly saw green, but some red. I'm thinking I may have seen these as a kid in a northeast regional chain Papa Gino's in the late 80s. I found similar trays online, but in cases of 12 only. If anyone knows where to get a single, I'd probably pick one up.

Assuming I'm in wildwood again, I'd definitely swing by for another couple slices.

2 takeaways for my pizzamaking: experiment a bit more with cheddar, experiment with flour instead of semolina on the peel.

I have dozens of pictures on my brother-in-laws camera, but it will take some time to get them. For now, here's some non-pizza pics.

Matt,

Thanks for posting about your first Mack's experience!  I agree that Mack's pizza brings nostalgia to many people including me.  I have been going to Mack's pizza for a long while.  Glad to hear your wife's family including your kids are the 4th generation to vacation there in Wildwood.  You might not believe this, but Kohrs ice cream used to be better than it is now. 

Good that you could sit at the counter and watch the doughs being opened. 

I can understand that you weren't blown away by Mack's pizzas.  I think each one of us have some kind of pizza experience that just stays with us for some reason.

Hope you get to post your brother-in-laws photo.  Enjoyed your photos.

Your might not believe this but now Adam Kuban goes to Mack's every year.  I guess Mack's pizza has grown on him and his family.

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2232 on: August 02, 2017, 07:02:39 AM »

You might not believe this, but Kohrs ice cream used to be better than it is now. 

Good stuff Norma. Any idea what changed at Kohrs?

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2233 on: August 02, 2017, 07:52:52 AM »
Any idea what changed at Kohrs?

Matt,

These are some of the stories about Kohr's ice cream/custard.

My mother and my late husband have said Kohr's has changed.  My late husbands parent used to sell Kohe's ice cream at Green Dragon many moons ago.  Wish I could talk to my late mother-in-law to see how they made it.

http://www.kohrbros.com/coney.html

http://www.kohrstheoriginal.com/history.php

http://www.kohrsfrozencustard.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/09/nyregion/in-search-of-there-s-a-triple-dip-of-these-descendants-making-frozen-custard.html

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dining/index.ssf/2012/04/kohrs_custard_coming_to_north.html

I don't really know why Kohr's changed, but I also have noticed that since I was a child up until now.

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2234 on: August 18, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »

Finally got the pics!

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2235 on: August 18, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
Finally got the pics!

Matt,

Thanks for the great photos!  They are making me hungry for a slice of Mack's Pizza now.   :drool:

Did you notice that great smell when you were at Mack's?

Norma

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2236 on: November 08, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »
Could someone steer me into the direction of the dough formula/recipes in this thread?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2237 on: November 09, 2017, 06:03:54 AM »
Could someone steer me into the direction of the dough formula/recipes in this thread?

MR,

Peter's formulation at Reply 307 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg99472#msg99472 works out well.  You could increase the amount of yeast to make the dough ferment quicker.

What kind of flour do you want to try?

You can see where I tried Peter's formula with Kyrol flour at Reply 2184 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg469508#msg469508 and posts after that reply.

I meant to try Peter's forumla more after that but things got in the way. 

Wonder if Peter ever tried his formula again to make another attempt at a Mack's Pizza.

Cracker Barrel  Vermont Sharp-white cheedar is a good cheedar to try if you want to attempt to make a Mack's Pizza. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cracker-Barrel-Vermont-Sharp-White-Cheese-8-oz/20550648 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2238 on: November 09, 2017, 06:32:24 AM »
Looked for a more recent video of making pizzas at Mack's.  Found this one by jesse pike productions.  The one dough (partly pressed out) does look like it is fairly oily and the dough looks strong.  The flattened dough balls in the pans still fascinate me.  It can be seen how oily/buttery flavored the baked cheese looks like on the pizzas.  That glistening cheese tastes so good.  Now you got something FUNKY!  ;D

Norma

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #2239 on: November 09, 2017, 07:03:45 AM »
MR,

Peter's formulation at Reply 307 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg99472#msg99472 works out well...

What a great post. What have you been up to Peter bake-wise? Do you miss these cloning experiments?

Matt

wordpress